    Bruce

    Shutter City Gallery --
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?AcctID=4823
    Bruce Wilson, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Bruce Wilson

    Mark M Guest

    "Bruce Wilson" <> wrote in message
    news:Q5aQc.16415$...
    > What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I have
    > found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very twitchy. Using
    > the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear on the card in
    > the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo thing so please forgive

    the
    > basic question.
    >
    > Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.
    >
    > Bruce
    >
    > Shutter City Gallery --
    > http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?AcctID=4823

    Card reader.

    I've swapped cards thousands of times, and I'm still using my original
    cards.
    Mark M, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Bruce Wilson

    Jeff Guest

    I second that. Card reader is the way to go.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Bruce Wilson

    nitzsche Guest

    Card readers are the way to go. Just be careful when you're putting the
    card back into the camera. Never try to force it back in.
    nitzsche, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Bruce Wilson

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Bruce Wilson"

    >What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D.

    Card reader.

    >Using the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear
    >on the card in the long run.

    If you're worried about this then buy top flight cards from someone like Lexar
    or Sandisk since they offer life-time replacement for their cards if they ever
    go bad.

    >Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.

    Amen!
    Bill Hilton, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Bruce Wilson

    Guest

    In message <VdaQc.23547$Oi.14168@fed1read04>,
    "Mark M" <> wrote:

    >I've swapped cards thousands of times, and I'm still using my original
    >cards.

    I would think that a single card left in the camera would probably
    experience electrical contact problems sooner than a card that is
    frequently swapped, as it never scrapes the contact areas.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
    , Aug 4, 2004
  7. Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>From: "Bruce Wilson"

    >>What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D.

    > Card reader.
    >
    >>Using the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear
    >>on the card in the long run.

    > If you're worried about this then buy top flight cards from someone like Lexar
    > or Sandisk since they offer life-time replacement for their cards if they ever
    > go bad.>
    >
    >>Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.

    So a sample of 4-5 say they all use card readers, but I use both,
    depending on how many pictures I have to download, mood, sunspots, etc.

    One plus for the camera's built in plug is that, should it become
    jammed, bent, or otherwize disfunctional, you can still use the camera
    fully by then using a card reader. The opposite is not true.

    YMMV.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
    not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    John McWilliams, Aug 4, 2004
  8. Bruce Wilson

    Mark B. Guest

    > What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I have
    > found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very twitchy. Using
    > the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear on the card in
    > the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo thing so please forgive

    the
    > basic question.
    >
    > Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.

    Card reader all the way, d/l from the camera is too slow. Don't you think
    there's the same wear & tear on the USB cable? I don't think it's anything
    to worry about. I've been using cards & readers for several years, never
    had a problem.

    Mark
    Mark B., Aug 5, 2004
  9. Bruce Wilson

    YoYo Guest

    Like all others The Card Reader is the
    way to go!

    Wish batteries could last as long...
    haha buy one battery for life of camera?

    YoYo, Aug 5, 2004
  10. Bruce Wilson

    MarkH Guest

    "Bruce Wilson" <> wrote in

    > What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I
    > have found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very
    > twitchy. Using the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and
    > tear on the card in the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo
    > thing so please forgive the basic question.

    You are worrying over nothing. Card readers are the best solution.
    USB2 card readers are drastically faster than using the camera’s USB1
    connection.

    Wear and tear on the card? Yes, but the card is good for 10s of thousands
    of insertions, no need to worry about wear and tear. The card will work
    fine for years.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Aug 5, 2004
  11. Bruce Wilson

    Jimmy Smith Guest

    I use USB 2 card reader. It's great. No problems ever.

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Aug 5, 2004
  12. "Bruce Wilson" <> wrote in message news:<Q5aQc.16415$>...
    > What is the method that most use to DL the images from the 10D. I have
    > found the straight USB with the windows wizard to be very twitchy. Using
    > the card reader works fine, but does that put wear and tear on the card in
    > the long run. Relatively new to the digi-photo thing so please forgive the
    > basic question.
    >
    > Still playing with it, but over all glad I made the jump from film.

    Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
    barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
    reader.

    Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
    reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
    add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
    first place.
    George Preddy, Aug 7, 2004
  13. In article <>, George
    Preddy <> wrote:

    > Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
    > barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
    > reader.
    >
    > Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
    > reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
    > add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
    > first place.

    The 10D would be nice with a Firewire connection but I still think I'd
    use a reader. Hooking the camera up to the computer? Icky-poo...
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 8, 2004
  14. Bruce Wilson

    E. Magnuson Guest

    On 2004-08-07, George Preddy <> wrote:
    > "Bruce Wilson" <> wrote in message news:<Q5aQc.16415$>...

    > Use a USB2 card reader or a direct firewire interface. Sadly, the
    > barebones 10D doesn't provide the latter, so you'll have to buy a card
    > reader.

    Sadly, the SD9's firewire interface is slower than the 10D's USB interface:
    "I clocked the FireWire transfer rate at 268 KB/second, a number that
    would be on the slow side even for a USB interface." (imaging-resource)

    The SD10 does better, but is still bested by the *istD's USB.

    > Consider getting an external image tank and using that as your card
    > reader too, that way you aren't throwing more money down the drain to
    > add a fast interface, something the camera should've included in the
    > first place.

    Hey, GP gets something almost right for once. (Not exactly right,
    because USB2 CF readers are rather inexpensive.)

    --
    Erik
    E. Magnuson, Aug 8, 2004