    was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
    this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
    to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

    Photo Moron, Feb 7, 2004

  2. "Photo Moron" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
    > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
    > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
    > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
    > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

    If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

    Marvin Margoshes, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Photo Moron

    tkranz Guest

    It is also possible that 1/250 is not fast enough exposure with a longer
    lens for action pictures.??

    tkranz, Feb 7, 2004
  4. Photo Moron

    AArDvarK Guest

    I bet you an IS lens would do the trick, ISO 3200
    and a wide open aperture.
    --
    Sincerely,
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Photo Moron

    Mark M Guest

    > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
    > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
    > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
    > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
    > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

    1/180 is way too slow to expect no fuzz...especially with a tele.
    High school field are NEVER adequately lit compared to a pro stadium,
    either.

    Mark M, Feb 7, 2004
  6. Photo Moron

    Photo Moron Guest

    "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Photo Moron" <> wrote in message
    > > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
    > > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
    > > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
    > > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
    > > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

    > If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

    No I was working the sidelines.

    Photo Moron, Feb 8, 2004

    > > "Photo Moron" <> wrote in message
    > > > Canon 10d with Tokina 80-200 2.8. Aperture 2.8 and shutter speeds
    > > > between 1/180 and 1/250. ISO 800. Focus some AI some continuous. Focus
    > > > was almost always soft. Set up is fine for daylight. I figure that
    > > > this is just beyond what the camera can do i.e. the AF just isn't up
    > > > to the cavelike darkness of high school football games at night.

    > > If you are in the stands, you might as well set the focus at infinity.

    > No I was working the sidelines.

    Were you using a monopod or a tripod? For heavy camera setups, a monopod
    makes life a lot easier. My 150mm lens would be hopeless hand held, but
    works fine on a (_strong_) monopod.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Feb 8, 2004