    Has anybody else had a similar experience?

    Leigh Hanlon
    Chicago, USA

    Leigh Hanlon, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Leigh Hanlon

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <BBE97CE0.B73%>,
    says...
    > I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
    > focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still hunts
    > around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
    > beam as a successful flash exposure.
    >
    > Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what I
    > can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
    > altogether.
    >
    > Has anybody else had a similar experience?
    >
    > Leigh Hanlon
    > Chicago, USA

    I use a 420EX most of the time and its bright red AF assist is what is
    used but on the occassions where I've used the assist on the internal
    flash, it's worked perfectly -- better even than the beams on my G1 and
    G2.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 26, 2003

  3. "Leigh Hanlon" <> wrote in message
    > I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
    > focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still

    hunts
    > around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
    > beam as a successful flash exposure.
    >
    > Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what

    > can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
    > altogether.
    >
    > Has anybody else had a similar experience?

    You can add an true focus assist beam with a good ext. flash. They work
    pretty well, but at close range the beam can sail high.

    George Preddy, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Leigh Hanlon

    Mark Hanson Guest

    > I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
    > focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still

    hunts
    > around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
    > beam as a successful flash exposure.
    >
    > Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what

    > can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
    > altogether.
    >
    > Has anybody else had a similar experience?

    Everyone else, I'd imagine. The 10D focuses just as well without the
    annoying flashy thing, except in low light. Get a 420EX, and use it with or
    without the flash; the flash assist is great.

    Mark

    Mark Hanson, Nov 26, 2003