    matt

    --
    Matt Del Vecchio

    matt del vecchio, Apr 13, 2004

  2. "matt del vecchio" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > im heading to europe for a vacation and will be traveling from the UK
    > to france, spain, italy, germany, czech, etc... so ive been doing some
    > reading on power adapters from the archives.

    Sounds a busy trip! I hope you've set aside enough days for each country.

    > i already have the plug adapters that adapt the two prongs on my cords
    > to the appropiate region prongs (for ex, 3 prongs for UK, 2 round
    > prongs for "Europe", etc).

    Good. That should cover you for most of Europe.

    > it *appears* that i dont need a voltage/wattage adapater, as long as
    > my charger's AC unit supports 110-240V... can anyone confirm this?
    > besides the popular western europe destinations, anybody use their US
    > 10D in eastern europe?

    I've used UK purchased mains adaptors "110 - 240V AC" in the UK, Ireland,
    Japan, Canada, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and
    Norway. No problems.

    Some people from the USA have reported problems - usually "frying the
    adaptor" whatever that means. I suspect that they are either using 240V -
    110V transformers, or that the "universal" power supply they bought was of
    inferior quality. The highest voltages you will find are likely to be in
    the UK, as until recently the nominal voltage was 240V, rather than the
    220-230V of Europe. Having said that, what voltage might the mains rise
    to under fault conditions - who knows?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 13, 2004

  3. matt del vecchio

    Don Guest

    I've used various US-market equipment in all of those countries with no
    problem, including Canon cameras,as long as the device (or wall wart) was
    rated for 110-240v, 50-60hz. Those adapters sound right for most places,
    but I have on occasion run into odd-balls. Universal adapter kits
    containing several adapters are fairly inexpensive and small, and will cover
    those contingencies. Any travel shop will have them.

    Don

    Don, Apr 13, 2004
  4. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> writes:

    >Some people from the USA have reported problems - usually "frying the
    >adaptor" whatever that means. I suspect that they are either using 240V -
    >110V transformers, or that the "universal" power supply they bought was of
    >inferior quality.

    I suspect the usual reason for destroying power supplies is (a) having a
    power supply rated for 120 V only and (b) exposing it to 220-240 V
    input.

    The really stupid way to do the latter is to just use an adapter plug
    which provides no voltage conversion at all, only mechanical plug
    conversion. Of course this will fail.

    The more subtle way to do the latter is to use the wrong type of
    "voltage converter". You can buy two types in North America. One type
    contains a transformer so it really does change the voltage, but is
    typically rated for only 25 W or 50 W of load. The other kind is rated
    for 1500 W, but is intended for heating appliances like a clothes iron
    or hair dryer only. The latter type uses a triac to pass about 1/4 of
    the AC waveform, so the heat output of a heating element is about
    correct, but the output is exposed to substantially higher peak voltage
    than it would be when plugged into 120 VAC. The instructions tell you
    not to use the 1500 W "converter" with electronic devices, but people
    don't always read instructions. Given a choice between a 25 W adapter
    and a 1500 W adapter that's lighter, they may choose the latter when
    they need the former. And so they blow up their power supply.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 13, 2004
  5. matt del vecchio

    Guest

    In message <c5he8h$ou1$>,
    (Dave Martindale) wrote:

    >The other kind is rated
    >for 1500 W, but is intended for heating appliances like a clothes iron
    >or hair dryer only. The latter type uses a triac to pass about 1/4 of
    >the AC waveform, so the heat output of a heating element is about
    >correct, but the output is exposed to substantially higher peak voltage
    >than it would be when plugged into 120 VAC.

    How does an AM radio or electric guitar sound in a room with one of
    those?
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Apr 13, 2004
  6. matt del vecchio

    zbzbzb Guest

    >hello,
    >
    >im heading to europe for a vacation and will be traveling from the UK
    >to france, spain, italy, germany, czech, etc... so ive been doing some
    >reading on power adapters from the archives.
    >
    >i already have the plug adapters that adapt the two prongs on my cords
    >to the appropiate region prongs (for ex, 3 prongs for UK, 2 round
    >prongs for "Europe", etc).
    >
    >it *appears* that i dont need a voltage/wattage adapater, as long as
    >my charger's AC unit supports 110-240V... can anyone confirm this?
    >besides the popular western europe destinations, anybody use their US
    >10D in eastern europe?

    Yes, that is right. Just plug adaptors

    >thanks!
    >matt
    >
    >--
    >Matt Del Vecchio

    Matt just to give you a little practical advice since I have done similar
    trips before and lived over there. I would travel light if I were you and
    concentrate on enjoying the sites and the company of whoever you may be with.
    Maybe you can consider just taking one zoom. Trust me, after a while of
    constantly carrying photo gear it can really interfere with simply having a
    good time. Maybe you can also consider taking a pocketable point and shoot for
    days that you don't want to be lugging around gear. Another thing, the
    temptation to bounce from one city to another is great in the effort of trying
    to see the most in your alloted time. Resist that temptation and spend more
    time in less places. You will be less fatigued physically and probably more
    importantly less so psychologically. Plus you will learn more about wherever
    you choose to go. Overall you will end up having a much better time.

    Finally, If you are going with a significant other be careful that you may not
    be putting too much of a damper on her enjoyment by trying to always get "that
    shot."

    zbzbzb, Apr 13, 2004
  7. writes:

    >How does an AM radio or electric guitar sound in a room with one of
    >those?

    Good question; I don't have one. I expect that the better-made ones
    have some amount of RF noise suppression.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 14, 2004
  8. thanks for the tips, all.

    it does appear then that if my AC adapter (power cord) has a proper
    range, i do not need a voltage adapter, only the prong adapter. cool.

    as for my actual trip... think ill be alrite. im going for 3 months,
    so hitting those cities shouldnt be a problem. traveling alone, with
    only a 3,500-cubic-inches backpack. that isnt very large.. 2 pair
    pants, couple shirts, shoes & sandals, etc..

    as for photo gear, i am only brining one lense, my 16-35 f2.8 wide
    angle. sure, it would be nice to have zooms and what not, but im more
    interest in getting the big picture -- landscapes, and buildings. but
    i am brining my little pocket cam, a digital Elph. for image storage i
    have a 512mb card and a 20gb Archos Gmini 120 (its a sweet
    mp3-player/photo-wallet w/ built in card reader. bigger than an iPod
    but small enough for a pocket; tho mine will not be in my pocket!)

    matt del vecchio, Apr 14, 2004