    Also, can anybody suggest what technical or mechanical problems could cause
    this situation?

    Many thanks for any ideas.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Mike

    Mike Warren Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Also, can anybody suggest what technical or mechanical problems could
    > cause this situation?

    You don't have exposure compensation on do you? Just a thought.

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Mike Warren" <> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    > > Also, can anybody suggest what technical or mechanical problems could
    > > cause this situation?

    > You don't have exposure compensation on do you? Just a thought.
    >
    > -Mike

    Nope - first thing I checked! Thanks anyway.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Mike

    Dave Guest

    Can't you re-set everything to factory settings - -then test?

    DM

    Help reduce SPAM When e-mailing to multiple recipients.

    * Use a phoney return address
    * Remove ALL e-mail addresses when forwarding
    * Use Blind Carbon Copy (View / All headers / BCC) when composing a message.

    Dave, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Can't you re-set everything to factory settings - -then test?
    >
    > DM

    That would help eliminate user error I guess - I will try it later. Thanks.

    Mike, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Mike

    Mark² Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > My 10D has suddenly started underexposing pictures taken in
    > Shutter/Aperture priority mode - nothing I do seems to solve the
    > problem, and I am forced to shoot in Manual mode all the time - which
    > still works fine. That's not a huge problem, as I actually prefer
    > Manual in many situations. But I like to use shutter and aperture
    > priority as well, especially in unpredictable situations.
    >
    > Before I start spending cash - can anybody think of something I am
    > missing (like a setting I that I haven't thought about) that's
    > causing this problem? My head is on a lot of other things and the
    > moment and it's more than possible that I've done something stupid
    > and forgotten about it!!
    >
    > Also, can anybody suggest what technical or mechanical problems could
    > cause this situation?
    >
    > Many thanks for any ideas.

    Have you changed the metering mode to something you're not used to?
    I mean like center-weighted, evaluative, etc.
    If you change this from what you're used to, it can often lead to improper
    exposure.

    Mark², Dec 22, 2005
  7. "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > Can't you re-set everything to factory settings - -then test?
    > >
    > > DM
    > >

    > That would help eliminate user error I guess - I will try it later.

    Thanks.

    What's the histogram showing? Surely there must be a clue there...

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Dec 22, 2005
  8. Mike

    pc Guest

    Are you sure is your 10D dying not your battery?

    pc, Dec 22, 2005
  9. Mike

    Mark² Guest

    pc wrote:
    > Are you sure is your 10D dying not your battery?

    Low batteries in the 10D will NOT lead to this.
    The batteries either operate the camera to full spec, or it shuts off.
    This is critically important for any digital camera, since you certainly
    don't want you images getting dim as your battery drains. It doesn't work
    that way (thank goodness).

    Mark², Dec 23, 2005
  10. Mike

    Don Guest

    Mike

    when I had a 10D I thought something similar had happened to me but it
    turned out to be user error. I went back to basics got my grey card out and
    did some test exposures using the different metering modes, I was very
    surprised at how the meter read things and interpreted exposure dependant on
    the mode. Maybe its something simple like my problem.

    regards

    Don

    Don, Dec 23, 2005
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > What's the histogram showing? Surely there must be a clue there...
    >
    > --
    > M Stewart
    > Milton Keynes, UK
    > http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

    Histogram is as you'd expect for an underexposed image - heavy on the dark
    side, nothing on the light side, very little in the middle.

    Mike, Dec 23, 2005
  12. Mike

    Mike Guest

    ">
    > Have you changed the metering mode to something you're not used to?
    > I mean like center-weighted, evaluative, etc.
    > If you change this from what you're used to, it can often lead to improper
    > exposure.

    I checked that too - it's the same problem with all metering modes. Thanks.

    Mike, Dec 23, 2005
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "pc" <> wrote in message
    > Are you sure is your 10D dying not your battery?

    Absolutely sure - a dying battery would prevent me powering the camera up at
    all. Thanks.

    Mike, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Mike

    Mark² Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > ">
    >> Have you changed the metering mode to something you're not used to?
    >> I mean like center-weighted, evaluative, etc.
    >> If you change this from what you're used to, it can often lead to
    >> improper exposure.
    >>

    > I checked that too - it's the same problem with all metering modes.
    > Thanks.

    Do you have green grass outside where you are?
    If you do, go out under daylight sun and shoot a picture of it.
    Most green grass is very close to the reading you'd get off of a grey card.
    If the grass is too dark, and your exposure compensation isn't off...you've
    likely got a problem.

    Better yet...shoot an real grey card.

    Try more than one lens.

    Clean your lens contacts (in case there's a communication error--very
    unlikely...).

    Reset to factory settings.

    If you can, have someone with a Canon DSLR shoot the same exact scene under
    the same light and same framing...with the identical settings.

    If none of the above is illuminating (no pun intended), send it to Canon.
    That way...when they send it back to you telling you it's fine...you'll know
    it's user error.
    :)

    Seriously though...unless you're doing something really weird...I would send
    it in if all of the above fails to identify a user issue.

    Mark², Dec 23, 2005
  15. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > Mike wrote:
    > > ">
    > >> Have you changed the metering mode to something you're not used to?
    > >> I mean like center-weighted, evaluative, etc.
    > >> If you change this from what you're used to, it can often lead to
    > >> improper exposure.
    > >>

    > > I checked that too - it's the same problem with all metering modes.
    > > Thanks.

    > Do you have green grass outside where you are?
    > If you do, go out under daylight sun and shoot a picture of it.
    > Most green grass is very close to the reading you'd get off of a grey

    card.
    > If the grass is too dark, and your exposure compensation isn't

    off...you've
    > likely got a problem.
    >
    > Better yet...shoot an real grey card.
    >
    > Try more than one lens.
    >
    > Clean your lens contacts (in case there's a communication error--very
    > unlikely...).
    >
    > Reset to factory settings.
    >
    > If you can, have someone with a Canon DSLR shoot the same exact scene

    under
    > the same light and same framing...with the identical settings.
    >
    > If none of the above is illuminating (no pun intended), send it to Canon.
    > That way...when they send it back to you telling you it's fine...you'll

    know
    > it's user error.
    > :)
    >
    > Seriously though...unless you're doing something really weird...I would

    send
    > it in if all of the above fails to identify a user issue.

    Thanks for all that useful advice.

    Mike, Dec 23, 2005