    3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?

    Jimmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jul 25, 2004

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Mark M Guest

    5
    > min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?
    >
    > 2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    > technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into

    with
    > film?

    Hot pixels or stuck pixels (meaning pixels that are improperly activating a
    particular color, even though it hasn't been exposed to it) will become
    brightly visible...meaning you will have to remove them in post-processing.
    Actually though, the 10D (and Canon's other CMOS sensor DSLRs) are arguably
    the best digitals when it comes to handling long exposures well. I visited
    Carlsbad Caverns last Spring, taking many many long exposures with with my
    10D. Many of them were over a minute, and the results were amazingly clean
    in terms of noise and stuck/hot pixels.

    Mark M, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    dslr Guest

    In article <MJUMc.25686$>, "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote:
    >I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now take
    >exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for hours if I
    >desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >
    >1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure......... what of 5
    >min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?
    >
    >2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    >technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into with
    >film?
    >
    >3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    >exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?

    For very long exposures, make sure the battery is freshly charged.
    Even better, consider buying and using the mains adapter. That way you won't
    have the battery die partway through an exposure.

    --
    KRs
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 25, 2004
  4. Jimmy Smith

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Jimmy Smith wrote:
    > I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now
    > take exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for
    > hours if I desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >
    > 1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure.........
    > what of 5 min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?

    No. Think about the instructions for cleaning sensor.

    > 2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    > technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run
    > into with film?

    Noise. If you get a bad pixel or two, then Paintshop is your friend.

    > 3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    > exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?

    Test away with known targets first. Try painting a room with flashlight or
    yourself into the picture. You can have a lot of fun with long exposures
    and digital makes it instant gratification. Have a fine and amusing time.

    -paul

    Paul Cassel, Jul 25, 2004
  5. In article <MJUMc.25686$>,
    says...
    > I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now take
    > exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for hours if I
    > desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >
    > 1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure......... what of 5
    > min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?

    Depending if you hold the sensor straight into the full moon or not.
    I doubt there are any problems taking shots in the dark.

    My 10D had dead and hot pixels straight of the box.
    The next one was better....

    > 2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    > technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into with
    > film?
    >
    > 3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    > exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?
    >
    > Jimmy

    Cheers

    --

    Looking for a dream wedding?
    http://www.palmcoveweddings.com/

    Gerhard Beulke, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Jimmy Smith

    HooDooWitch Guest

    "Jimmy Smith" <> somehow managed to post:

    >I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now take
    >exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for hours if I
    >desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >
    >1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure......... what of 5
    >min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?
    >
    >2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    >technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into with
    >film?
    >
    >3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    >exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?

    Should be OK, just try not to do this ...

    http://ireid.home.cern.ch/ireid/images/JuraSunset.wmv (3.7 Mb)
    (Nikon CCD)

    --
    HooDooWitch (NaCl - Gratis)

    HooDooWitch, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Jimmy Smith

    dslr Guest

    In article <>, "Paul Cassel" <> wrote:
    >Jimmy Smith wrote:
    >> I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now
    >> take exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for
    >> hours if I desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >>
    >> 1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure.........
    >> what of 5 min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?

    >No. Think about the instructions for cleaning sensor.

    Irrelevant - the sensor is not turned on during cleaning.

    --
    KRs
    dslr

    dslr, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Jimmy Smith

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <ce33g6$akh$>,
    dslr <> wrote:
    >In article <>, "Paul Cassel" <> wrote:
    >>Jimmy Smith wrote:
    >>> I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now
    >>> take exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for
    >>> hours if I desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >>>
    >>> 1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure.........
    >>> what of 5 min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?

    >>No. Think about the instructions for cleaning sensor.

    >Irrelevant - the sensor is not turned on during cleaning.

    The sensor will collect charge whenever there is light falling on it. The
    only way to stop it is to keep it in the dark.

    Chris Brown, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Jimmy Smith

    Fred Guest

    Jimmy Smith wrote:

    > 2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    > technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into with
    > film?

    Take a dark frame (same duration) so you'll be able to remove hot pixels
    more easily.

    --
    Frédéric

    Fred, Jul 26, 2004
  10. Jimmy Smith

    Mark M Guest

    Mark M, Jul 27, 2004
  11. Jimmy Smith wrote:

    > I have a remote timer cable release for the 10D. Suddenly, I can now take
    > exposures longer than 30 seconds. I can let an exposure run for hours if I
    > desire. My questions are as follows:::::::::::
    >
    > 1. Can the sensor be damaged by using a longer exposure......... what of 5
    > min, 20 min, 30 minutes, etc?
    >
    > 2. As you go for longer exposure times, what type of distortion or
    > technical limit will I run into with digital that I would not run into with
    > film?
    >
    > 3. Anything I should know before taking longer (for low light shots)
    > exposure shots with my 10D and the remote timer switch?
    >
    > Jimmy

    You can take long exposures with the 10D.
    Here are noise tests as a function of temperature for
    exposures as long as 6 minutes:

    http://clarkvision.com/astro/canon-10d-signal-to-noise

    In the amateur astronomy world, people are taking multiple
    exposures in raw mode and adding them together to produce
    stunning low light images that were simply impossible
    with film. For example, see:

    http://clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1

    A google search will probably reveal many amateur
    astronomer web sites of people using the 10D and
    producing far better results than I have. One trick is
    combining images properly. People are using a program
    called ImagesPlus (a google search should find it).
    It aligns and processes 16-bit images and has filters
    far beyond photoshop (I have no affiliation). It also
    does batch raw conversions of canon 10D (and other
    DSLR) camera files.

    Multiple exposures averaged together reduces noise and
    can produce a smoother image than with film.

    Roger
    http://clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jul 27, 2004