    that it would last a long time. So I don't want to spend more money.
    Is there any way to make a 1080p source compatible with a 1080i TV?
    Thanks.

    Scribner, Feb 25, 2008

  2. Scribner

    Ron Martell Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    >I have a Pioneer 1080i TV. But the new DVD players are 1080p. I
    >invested a lot of money into my TV 3 years ago with the expectation
    >that it would last a long time. So I don't want to spend more money.
    >Is there any way to make a 1080p source compatible with a 1080i TV?
    >Thanks.

    1080p is 1080 lines not interlaced.
    1080i is 1080 lines interlaced.

    Technically your hardware (DVD player) should detect the TV's
    capabilities and adjust the output accordingly, so it should work. But
    to be on the safe side you should contact the DVD player manufacturer
    and check with them.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Feb 26, 2008

  3. Scribner

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:48:54 -0800, Scribner wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer 1080i TV. But the new DVD players are 1080p. I
    > invested a lot of money into my TV 3 years ago with the expectation
    > that it would last a long time. So I don't want to spend more money.
    > Is there any way to make a 1080p source compatible with a 1080i TV?
    > Thanks.

    If you use the component out most players can select 1080i if they can do
    1080p.

    Meat Plow, Feb 26, 2008
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:15:23 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:48:54 -0800, Scribner wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Pioneer 1080i TV. But the new DVD players are 1080p. I
    >> invested a lot of money into my TV 3 years ago with the expectation
    >> that it would last a long time. So I don't want to spend more money.
    >> Is there any way to make a 1080p source compatible with a 1080i TV?
    >> Thanks.

    >If you use the component out most players can select 1080i if they can do
    >1080p.

    Yep. That's what I thought. Thanks.

    Scribner, Feb 26, 2008
  5. Scribner

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:22:13 -0800, Scribner wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:15:23 -0500, Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:48:54 -0800, Scribner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a Pioneer 1080i TV. But the new DVD players are 1080p. I
    >>> invested a lot of money into my TV 3 years ago with the expectation
    >>> that it would last a long time. So I don't want to spend more money.
    >>> Is there any way to make a 1080p source compatible with a 1080i TV?
    >>> Thanks.

    >>If you use the component out most players can select 1080i if they can do
    >>1080p.

    > Yep. That's what I thought. Thanks.

    Your welcome. I'm in the same predicament. I purchased a 32" LCD for my
    bedroom. It does 1080i but not P. The HDMI cable must only be P because I
    get a "out of range" message on the tv when I try to use it with an XBox
    360. However the component cable output does 1080i and that works great.
    To tell you the truth I'm not sure that the human eye can tell the
    difference between interlaced and progressive scan at 1080. And if you
    could get more data on a standard dual layer DVD the authoring company
    wouldn't have to compress it down to where you see mpeg noise (grainy).
    If you notice previews and rendered video on a DVD on 480P disc looks
    pretty damn good opposed to the main movie, the lack of the need to
    compress being the reason.

    Meat Plow, Feb 26, 2008