    Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
    killer browser and PS workspace.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 29, 2008

  2. Bob Williams wrote:
    > Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
    > (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    > It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
    > resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    > Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    > If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV
    > for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
    > killer browser and PS workspace.
    > Bob Williams

    You would need to sit rather far away from the screen, though, and your
    eyes might find the different distances from keyboard, document and screen
    uncomfortable....

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2008

  3. +F**K YOU wrote:
    > I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight. My
    > screen is 32 in

    Please change you e-mail address to something less offensive, should you
    wish me to read any more of your messages.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Bob Williams

    J. Clarke Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
    > (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    > It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
    > resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    > Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    > If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV
    > for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have
    > killer browser and PS workspace.

    A friend of mine who is visually impaired does exactly that with a 37"
    Sceptre. Works a treat.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2008
  5. "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message news:NXVDk.3777$...

    > Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    > It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    > Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    > If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it
    > and have a killer browser and PS workspace.
    > Bob Williams

    I was thinking of doing this with a 32" 1080p TV (although this
    would be rather large for use as a monitor in my situation) so
    that it could double as the bedroom TV. Two things made me
    not do it. The only1080p TVs available at the time had "dynamic"
    black levels and that feature was not defeatable (making them
    useless as photo monitors), and all LCD panels change brightness
    with viewing angle, making close-in viewing problematic. Also
    worth considering (as you have...) is sharpness. LCD TVs aren't
    all created equal with this, regardless of the stated resolutions.
    There is also the matter of fast refresh rate (high for TV) vs.
    color accuracy (low for photo monitoring). In the end, I got a
    good but inexpensive 24" 1920x1200 LCD monitor plus a
    so-so but inexpensive 37" LCD TV to cover the desired uses.
    --David Ruether
    www.donferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, Sep 29, 2008
  6. Bob Williams

    Sharon Guest

    Here in Cupertino we have plasma TV's in some of the conference rooms. The
    aspect ratio is distorted, but other than that they work fine. Not sure
    what else would be concern with using an LCD.

    Sharon

    Sharon, Sep 29, 2008
  7. Bob Williams

    Matt Ion Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
    > (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    > It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
    > resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    > Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    > If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for
    > Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
    > killer browser and PS workspace.
    > Bob Williams

    Resolution-wise there's no issue with it; most computer-only LCDs in the
    20-24" range only do 1680 x 1050 anyway. Main difference will be how
    far you sit from it, and color correction - I don't know that I'd trust
    the color display for editing photos on something that's designed
    primarily for TV/video display.

    Matt Ion, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Bob Williams

    Spamm Trappe Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:19:40 -0700, +**** YOU wrote:
    > I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight.

    Is seems you are not only visually impaired,
    you are culturally impaired, too.

    Spamm Trappe, Sep 29, 2008
  9. Bob Williams

    Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:12:16 -0700 Bob Williams <> wrote:

    | Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
    | (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    | It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
    | resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    | Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    | If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for
    | Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
    | killer browser and PS workspace.

    37" may be too much monitor for distances typically used with a computer.
    It depends on your own needs. It could be good to deal with vision issues.

    As for the 1080p part of this, be sure you know for sure what the NATIVE
    resolution is. Some 1366x768 HDTVs reach up to the 37" and 42" sizes.
    The native 1920x1080 ones cost more. Then make sure you have the computer
    configured to exactly match the monitor. If you install with that monitor
    in place, it should do this fine. In many cases it will even if you just
    switch monitors. But if not, you'll need to force the setting. It is more
    likely to just work right if you use a DVI or HDMI output from video card
    than if you connect up with the old VGA analog to an analog input (which
    will also require pixel lineup which not all monitors do well automatically
    and even fewer HDTVs succeed at for computer use).

    I have a smaller HDTV in the 19" size that I sometimes use on computers when
    I'm building them new and don't want to pull my real monitor from the computer
    desk out to the table where I'm building. This HDTV is convenient for this,
    but it has one bit of an issue. When I boot up many OSes, the switch from a
    text video mode at boot, to a graphical video mode, triggers the automatic
    pixel lineup. But the software is only displaying some small activity area
    in the middle of the screen and for a while the background is otherwise black.
    This fools the TV when it tries to figure out where the active visual area of
    the analog signal is, and it gets it wrong because all it saw was some small
    stuff in the middle initially. Later more is displayed and it goes off the
    edge. I have to make the TV reset the pixel lineup again later to get it done
    right (flipping to a TV channel then back to VGA again does it).

    PS should get the images right unless you try to make the images exactly fit
    the full screen and they aren't really 16:9 images. Just let PS put the image
    in a window to work with. This along with correct matching video setup and the
    aspect ratio should remain correct. If you then want to use one of your fine
    works of art as a computer background image, be sure to crop it to a 16:9 (not
    a 16:10 as most widescreen computer monitors use) size, preferrrably an exact
    1920x1080. Then also make versions for 16:10, 4:3, and even 5:4 if you want
    to share that picture for others to use as screen backgrounds.

    , Sep 29, 2008
  10. Bob Williams

    Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:44:51 -0700 +**** YOU <****> wrote:

    | Well David if u give me ur correct addy I will send mine

    It's not an issue of whether he has your real one or not. It _is_ an issue
    of him (and many others) not wanting to see those words on a computer display
    that for many is a computer multiple members of the family use or watch.
    This is NOT an adult oriented newsgroup that would otherwise be restricted
    as to who can access it. This is about a topic that should be open to even
    young children. It sounds to me like the OP plans to add a block to prevent
    your messages from ever showing up. And I concur with his plans. I suspect
    quite a number of others will eventually do so. Your personal readership
    will decline. So I suggest you make some adjustment to the name and fake
    email address you have chosen. Fake ones are still OK. It's the offensive
    ones that are an issue.

    , Sep 29, 2008
  11. Bob Williams

    measekite Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:44:51 -0700, +**** YOU wrote:

    > Well David if u give me ur correct addy I will send mine
    >
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:Ys1Ek.64149$...
    >> +F**K YOU wrote:
    >>> I am sitting 24 inches from my screen because of poor eyesight. My
    >>> screen is 32 in

    >> Please change you e-mail address to something less offensive, should you
    >> wish me to read any more of your messages.
    >>
    >> David

    That is reasonable.

    measekite, Sep 30, 2008
  12. Bob Williams

    Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:23:23 -0400 bino <> wrote:

    | I think it's funny anyone asking someone with a handle of ####YOU to do
    | anything. Here's a clue, #### YOU!
    | Get it? He could give two $$$$s, and good for him. As usual, David I'm A
    | Little Boy has a stick up his @@@. If only he had half the courage.

    You have now shown just what kind of contribution you can make.

    , Sep 30, 2008
  13. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > Some of the current crop of LCD HDTV sets have resolutions of 1080p
    > (typically 1920 x 1080 pixels) and some ALSO have PC inputs.
    > It it practical, for example, to use a 37" LCD HDTV set with a
    > resolution of 1080p, as my PC monitor?
    > Would PS images still be acceptably sharp on a 37" screen?
    > If so, that would be way cool because I plan to get a 37" LCD HDTV for
    > Christmas anyway. I could then just hook up my PC to it and have a
    > killer browser and PS workspace.
    > Bob Williams

    Thanks to all of you for your helpful responses.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 30, 2008