    may not want to go with the macro.

    BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.

    JImmy

    Jimmy Smith, Jun 22, 2004

  2. Jimmy Smith

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I believe the macro version is at least a stop slower I have the 100 f2 and
    it is my favourite lens.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Jimmy Smith" <> wrote in message
    > If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
    > telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto

    macro

    Tony Spadaro, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Jimmy Smith"

    >If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
    >telephoto, am I giving anything up?

    The macro is a stop slower, weighs more and costs more. You're paying a
    premium for the ability to focus down to life size.

    That said, it's a premium I was quite willing to pay as I have the 100 mm f/2.8
    macro myself (and the 85 f/1.8 for a faster lens). But if you don't need the
    macro function the 100 f/2 is a better play.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2004
  4. "Tony Spadaro" <> wrote in message
    > I believe the macro version is at least a stop slower I have the 100 f2

    and
    > it is my favourite lens.

    I also consider the 100mm F2 my favorite lens for my Canons. It is sharp,
    fast and usable in many situations. Depends, if you need a macro, the 100
    F2 is no macro. One bad ass portrait lens though.

    Robert Meyers, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Jimmy Smith

    Skip M Guest

    > If I go with the Canon 100mm telephoto macro as opposed to the Canon 100mm
    > telephoto, am I giving anything up? It seems that with the telephoto

    macro
    > I can take close up shots in addition to the telephoto. Any reason why I
    > may not want to go with the macro.
    >
    > BTW, I would like to take distant and close up shots.
    >
    > JImmy

    Actually the only thing you're giving up is 1/3 stop, and you are getting a
    better lens, overall.
    But a 100mm lens isn't going to give you a whole lot of reach...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jun 23, 2004
  6. Jimmy Smith

    Skip M Guest

    The macro is an f2.8.

    Skip M, Jun 23, 2004
  7. Jimmy Smith

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Skip M"

    >Actually the only thing you're giving up is 1/3 stop ...

    It's f/2 vs f/2.8, which is a full stop ...

    Bill Hilton, Jun 23, 2004