10093: successful WSAStartup not yet performed

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?TUNoaWw=?=, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. After a 5 day struggle with this, I finally got this resolved so I want to
    share the process with the community:

    This is a winsock conflict where registry files somehow get corrupted. So
    do a web search for a program called WinsockFix and run it. It will come up
    and tell you that it is fixing your registry and tell you to reboot. That's
    all I needed, but here is a procedure to try if that doesn't work:

    Note: Winsockfix and these manual fixes mention XP, but worked on my Win 2K.

    Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 2

    Step 1: Delete registry keys
    Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
    backups, then delete keys from registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
    Restart the computer
    NOTE: It is important to restart the computer after deleting the Winsock
    keys. Doing so causes the XP operating system to recreate shell entries for
    those two keys. If this is not done, the next step does not work correctly.
    Step 2: Install TCP/IP on top of itself
    Open the properties window of the network connection
    Click Install
    Click Protocol, then Add
    Select TCP/IP and click OK
    Restart the computer
    When the computer reboots you should have functional Winsock keys
    NOTE: If the network connection properties contained more than the
    following three items: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer
    Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and TCP/IP, then the additional items may
    need to be removed in order to restore browsing. If those items are needed
    they can be reinstalled. The reason for removing them is due to those items
    placing entries into the Winsock keys and those entries will no longer be
    there.

    Repair Winsock and Winsock2 registry keys: Method 3

    In Device Manager, Open your Network Adapter section and disable all
    devices.
    Using Regedit, go to both of the following keys, export each of them as
    backups, then delete keys from registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
    Take a copy from a clean install of those two registry tables from another
    machine, and import them to the troubled machine.
    Click on 'start' then 'run', type the following: netsh int ip reset
    resetlog.txt. Click 'ok'.
    Re-enable the devices in Device manager.
    Do another netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt as above.

    =?Utf-8?B?TUNoaWw=?=, Nov 30, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TUNoaWw=?=

    Dana Brash Guest

    Hi MChil,

    What symtoms led you to this solution?

    Thanks!

    --
    HTH,
    =d=

    Dana Brash
    MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA

    ------

    Dana Brash, Dec 1, 2004

  3. It appears that some 3rd-party applications (such as wireless clients) can
    cause a 10093 error. Specifically a Linksys app, if I remember correctly.

    I have heard that this can be successfully resolved in a couple ways:

    1. allow the application to bypass the firewall
    2. the steps below to restore winsock

    (uninstalling the application may also work - I have not personally hit this
    issue)

    --
    Standard Disclaimers -
    and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

    Carl DaVault [MSFT], Dec 8, 2004
  4. I have the same error as the one mention. I followed the step you suggested
    to follow, but when trying to install the TCP/IP on top of himself, I could
    not find it in the protocol section.
    Maybe you know how I can resolve the problem

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0IFQu?=, Mar 18, 2005