    open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and some of the pages will
    not close when I want to, I've to use force. What's wrong?
    EH

    EH, Jul 4, 2004

  2. EH

    °Mike° Guest

    Start here:

    Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/
    Plug-ins
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/
    http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:27:55 +0200, in
    <YC_Fc.1993$>
    EH scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    °Mike°, Jul 4, 2004

  3. EH wrote:

    > I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's wrong,
    > If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25 percent, pages
    > open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and some of the pages will
    > not close when I want to, I've to use force. What's wrong?

    Is you super-secret browser IE?

    If so that's probably your problem.

    http://mozilla.org

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    New June 23:

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 4, 2004
  4. EH

    EH Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > Start here:
    >

    > Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    > SpyBot S&D guide
    > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    > http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/
    > Plug-ins
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/
    > http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    > http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    > http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    >

    > On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:27:55 +0200, in
    > <YC_Fc.1993$>
    > EH scrawled:
    >

    >>Hi!
    >>I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's wrong,
    >>If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25 percent, pages
    >>open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and some of the pages will
    >>not close when I want to, I've to use force. What's wrong?
    >>EH

    Hello Mike!
    I've been working on all this, to no avail. so, I've now downloaded
    Mozilla browser, I'll see after a couple of days, but it looks good so
    far, and I downloaded the Thunderbird, So I think I'm all set now, Right?
    EH

    EH, Jul 5, 2004
  5. EH

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:28:10 +0200, in
    <l2aGc.2044$>
    EH scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> Start here:
    >>

    >> Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:

    <snip>

    >> On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 23:27:55 +0200, in
    >> <YC_Fc.1993$>
    >> EH scrawled:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's wrong,
    >>>If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25 percent, pages
    >>>open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and some of the pages will
    >>>not close when I want to, I've to use force. What's wrong?
    >>>EH
    >>>

    >Hello Mike!
    >I've been working on all this, to no avail. so, I've now downloaded
    >Mozilla browser, I'll see after a couple of days, but it looks good so
    >far, and I downloaded the Thunderbird, So I think I'm all set now, Right?
    >EH

    I still believe that you have something untoward on your
    system that is causing this; it's most likely Norton and/or
    ZoneAlarm, if your system is definitely clean of other malware.
    But, if you're happy with Mozilla and Thunderbird, go for it.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  6. EH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > EH wrote:
    >
    >> I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's
    >> wrong, If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25
    >> percent, pages open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and
    >> some of the pages will not close when I want to, I've to use force.
    >> What's wrong?

    > Is you super-secret browser IE?
    >
    > If so that's probably your problem.
    >
    > http://mozilla.org

    Is IE causing 100% CPU usage on the machine? IE may be part of the
    compromise issue, but most likely it's something else not known to the
    user that is still on the machine.

    It would server the user well to find out what program is sending the CPU
    to 100% by using the proper tools like Process Explorer and Active Ports.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 5, 2004
  7. EH

    Ron Martell Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote:

    >Start here:
    >http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >

    >Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >
    >Spybot Search & Destroy
    >http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    >SpyBot S&D guide
    >http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    >Ad-Aware
    >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    >http://www.lavasoft.de/
    >Plug-ins
    >http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/
    >http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/
    >http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/
    >
    >Spyware Blaster
    >http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >
    >CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    >http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    >http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    >http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

    I always put AdAware before Spybot on the instructions.

    The reason is that everything that AdAware flags is something that can
    and should be removed; whereas with Spybot sometimes a bit of
    discretion is required to avoid deleting useful stuff.

    So I use AdAware to get rid of the biggest portion of the scumware,
    which means the list from Spybot is that much smaller and therefore
    easier to check through.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jul 6, 2004
  8. EH

    EH Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote in
    >

    >>EH wrote:
    >>

    >>>I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's
    >>>wrong, If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25
    >>>percent, pages open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and
    >>>some of the pages will not close when I want to, I've to use force.
    >>>What's wrong?

    >>Is you super-secret browser IE?
    >>
    >>If so that's probably your problem.
    >>
    >>http://mozilla.org
    >>

    > Is IE causing 100% CPU usage on the machine? IE may be part of the
    > compromise issue, but most likely it's something else not known to the
    > user that is still on the machine.
    >
    > It would server the user well to find out what program is sending the CPU
    > to 100% by using the proper tools like Process Explorer and Active Ports.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I'm just an amateur, these programs, Process Explorer and Active Ports,
    I don't know where to get them or how to use them, but I'll start with
    Google.
    EH ;)

    EH, Jul 6, 2004
  9. EH

    Duane Arnold Guest

    EH <> wrote in

    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    >>>Is you super-secret browser IE?
    >>>
    >>>If so that's probably your problem.
    >>>
    >>>http://mozilla.org
    >>>

    >> Is IE causing 100% CPU usage on the machine? IE may be part of the
    >> compromise issue, but most likely it's something else not known to
    >> the user that is still on the machine.
    >>
    >> It would server the user well to find out what program is sending the
    >> CPU to 100% by using the proper tools like Process Explorer and
    >> Active Ports.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > I'm just an amateur, these programs, Process Explorer and Active
    > Ports, I don't know where to get them or how to use them, but I'll
    > start with Google.
    > EH ;)

    Yes, you'll find them using Google also the link explains a little bit
    about them.

    http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_and
    _Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2004
  10. EH

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:01:41 GMT, in
    <>
    Ron Martell scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >>
    >>Spybot Search & Destroy
    >>http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    >>http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    >>SpyBot S&D guide
    >>http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >>
    >>Ad-Aware
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    >>http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    >>http://www.lavasoft.de/
    >>Plug-ins
    >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/
    >>http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/
    >>http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/
    >>
    >>Spyware Blaster
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >>http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >>CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    >>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    >>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    >>http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    >>

    >I always put AdAware before Spybot on the instructions.
    >
    >The reason is that everything that AdAware flags is something that can
    >and should be removed; whereas with Spybot sometimes a bit of
    >discretion is required to avoid deleting useful stuff.

    That is just not true; have you not heard of the problem
    with AdAware trashing the hosts file?

    >So I use AdAware to get rid of the biggest portion of the scumware,
    >which means the list from Spybot is that much smaller and therefore
    >easier to check through.

    I never find the need to use AdAware, once SpyBot S&D has
    been run.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 6, 2004
  11. EH

    Fourdogs Guest

    "°Mike°" wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:01:41 GMT, in
    > <>
    > Ron Martell scrawled:
    >
    > >°Mike° <> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >>Then, download, update and use *all* of the following:
    > >>
    > >>Spybot Search & Destroy
    > >>http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > >>http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > >>http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    > >>SpyBot S&D guide
    > >>http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    > >>
    > >>Ad-Aware
    > >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    > >>http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    > >>http://www.lavasoft.de/
    > >>Plug-ins
    > >>http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/plugins/
    > >>http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plugins/
    > >>http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plugins/
    > >>
    > >>Spyware Blaster
    > >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    > >>http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    > >>
    > >>CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    > >>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    > >>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
    > >>http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html
    > >>

    > >I always put AdAware before Spybot on the instructions.
    > >
    > >The reason is that everything that AdAware flags is something that can
    > >and should be removed; whereas with Spybot sometimes a bit of
    > >discretion is required to avoid deleting useful stuff.

    > That is just not true; have you not heard of the problem
    > with AdAware trashing the hosts file?
    >
    > >So I use AdAware to get rid of the biggest portion of the scumware,
    > >which means the list from Spybot is that much smaller and therefore
    > >easier to check through.

    > I never find the need to use AdAware, once SpyBot S&D has
    > been run.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    I'm just the opposite. After I run adaware, spybot finds nothing.
    --

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Jul 7, 2004
  12. EH

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:36:04 -0400, in
    <>
    Fourdogs scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote:

    <snip>

    >> I never find the need to use AdAware, once SpyBot S&D has
    >> been run.

    >I'm just the opposite. After I run adaware, spybot finds nothing.

    That is exactly why you should use both -- one day you
    may be glad that you did.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2004
  13. I had the same problem on a computer only five minutes out of its box. go
    to microsoft.com/downloads and download software to detect and remove the
    sasser worm. It can also be found at symantic.com." <>

    Ralph Crawford, Jul 13, 2004
  14. EH

    gigajosh Guest

    "EH" <> wrote in message news:<YC_Fc.1993$>...
    > Hi!
    > I run win 2000Pro, ZA and Norton AV 2004, can anyone tell me what's wrong,
    > If i don't have any internet pages open the usage is about 25 percent, pages
    > open it goes up to 100 percent and stay there, and some of the pages will
    > not close when I want to, I've to use force. What's wrong?
    > EH

    Have you got all the latest Norton updates?.. if you're not sure, run
    LiveUpdate to check.
    Norton did cause a high CPU usage prob a while ago.
    But then heh, on my old Win2k installation, the CPU played up every
    time I touched the network, and I never figured it out. (and of course
    I use AdAware, S&D etc).
    If you can't fix it, it's time for a reinstall ;)

    gigajosh, Jul 13, 2004