100 Minute CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just have a quick question regarding CD-Rs, in particular the 100
    minute ones.

    Are most modern CD players capable of playing these discs? My CD
    recording software supports the burning of them, and it would be
    cheaper for me to put the music on one 100 minute CD-R instead of
    spreading it over two 80 minute CD-Rs.

    What is your experience of 100 Minute discs? Have there been any CD
    Players you've found that they wouldn't work in? E.g. car stereos,
    home Hi-Fis etc?

    I also just wondered if you know of any places that sell unbranded
    inkjet printable 100 Minute CD-Rs (I am in the UK)? So far I have
    only seen places that sell the branded ones.

    Also, as far as the Double CD jewel cases go, do you know of any
    places that sell the cases that have the hinge on the right hand side
    so you access the second CD by opening from the left side?

    I think they refer to these cases as "left side opening". I know they
    are more expensive, but I think they are a lot better, and they hold
    the CDs in place more securely. Most commercially produced double CD
    albums I have seen come in this type of case nowadays. However it is
    difficult to find these blank jewel cases for sale anywhere. The only
    ones you can find are the cheaper double CD cases were both hinges are
    in the center so to open the Jewel case it is on the right as well as
    to get to the second CD you flip the right side (like a book).

    Thanks for any info on these CD-R questions.

    John
    John, Jun 26, 2005

  2. John

    Mike Richter Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just have a quick question regarding CD-Rs, in particular the 100
    > minute ones.
    >
    > Are most modern CD players capable of playing these discs? My CD
    > recording software supports the burning of them, and it would be
    > cheaper for me to put the music on one 100 minute CD-R instead of
    > spreading it over two 80 minute CD-Rs.
    >
    > What is your experience of 100 Minute discs? Have there been any CD
    > Players you've found that they wouldn't work in? E.g. car stereos,
    > home Hi-Fis etc?
    >
    > I also just wondered if you know of any places that sell unbranded
    > inkjet printable 100 Minute CD-Rs (I am in the UK)? So far I have
    > only seen places that sell the branded ones.
    >
    > Also, as far as the Double CD jewel cases go, do you know of any
    > places that sell the cases that have the hinge on the right hand side
    > so you access the second CD by opening from the left side?
    >
    > I think they refer to these cases as "left side opening". I know they
    > are more expensive, but I think they are a lot better, and they hold
    > the CDs in place more securely. Most commercially produced double CD
    > albums I have seen come in this type of case nowadays. However it is
    > difficult to find these blank jewel cases for sale anywhere. The only
    > ones you can find are the cheaper double CD cases were both hinges are
    > in the center so to open the Jewel case it is on the right as well as
    > to get to the second CD you flip the right side (like a book).
    >
    > Thanks for any info on these CD-R questions.
    >
    > John

    My comments are on 95-minute discs recorded to no more than 90; I
    understand that the still longer ones are worse.

    Most modern CD players will handle them, but the high error rates can
    overwhelm the players and searching beyond 80 minutes is problematic or
    impossible. Do not expect recording quality on out-of-spec discs such as
    these to be comparable with that on those more or less in compliance.

    There are double cases such as you describe but I've only seen them on
    commercial recordings.

    Mike
    --

    http://www.mrichter.com/
    Mike Richter, Jun 26, 2005

  3. John

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    John wrote:

    > I just have a quick question regarding CD-Rs, in particular the 100
    > minute ones.
    >
    > Are most modern CD players capable of playing these discs? My CD
    > recording software supports the burning of them, and it would be
    > cheaper for me to put the music on one 100 minute CD-R instead of
    > spreading it over two 80 minute CD-Rs.
    >
    > What is your experience of 100 Minute discs? Have there been any CD
    > Players you've found that they wouldn't work in? E.g. car stereos,
    > home Hi-Fis etc?

    Most players will play fine. Or, some players will have problems. Or,
    you just have to try it. (I am not being facetious.) One problem
    usually mentioned is when seeking tracks past 90 min.

    See:
    http://www.feurio.com/English/faq/faq_writer_99mincdr.shtml
    http://ww2.nero.com/enu/FAQs_Products_NeroBurningROM_Data.html#5
    '

    Who Is Mike Richter and
    Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
    http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

    (No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
    ( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
    Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

    Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
    What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

    Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
    Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

    Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

    What an Asshole
    smh, Jun 28, 2005