    Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    Thanks.

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 23, 2006

  2. On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote in

    > Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a
    > cold reboot
    :mad:

    When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox process
    using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it happening,
    too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is beyond my
    expertise.)

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote in
    >

    >> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a
    >> cold reboot
    >> :(

    > When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox process
    > using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it happening,
    > too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is beyond my
    > expertise.)
    >
    > Flatus

    How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it used 50% and
    took twice as long to display a page? Using 100% is the most efficient
    use of the processor, if it was only using 75% those other 25% of cycles
    are wasted, gone, never recovered.

    A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most of the time.
    i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its not doing anything at all
    for the rest of the time.

    If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100% cpu usage we
    might be able to explain it better. On some pages, especially those with
    flash animation, cpu usage is quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 23, 2006
  4. On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    wrote in
    :

    > Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote
    >> in news::
    >>

    >>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do
    >>> a cold reboot
    >>> :(

    >> When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox
    >> process using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it
    >> happening, too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is
    >> beyond my expertise.)
    >>
    >> Flatus

    > How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
    > used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
    > 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it was
    > only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted, gone,
    > never recovered.
    >
    > A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most
    > of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its
    > not doing anything at all for the rest of the time.
    >
    > If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100%
    > cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On some
    > pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu usage is
    > quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.

    I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
    Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to tweak how
    rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of a competing
    process of equal or higher perceived importance to the user.

    In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I have
    little interest in visiting pages that would require me to turn
    it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not actively using
    Firefox--when I'm using something else like Eudora or
    Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can legimately use available
    processor time up to 100-pct when they're doing their database
    management tasks.)

    When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager to see
    what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's painless for
    me to kill the process because the program is open just to
    enhance its availability. Going back to the same page,
    everything drops back down to less than 3- to 5-pct.

    But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular that
    is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in my FF
    useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully patched and
    protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD, adaware,
    spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Home Theatre Guy

    gwtc Guest

    Home Theatre Guy wrote:

    > Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
    > :(
    >

    > Is this a know bug ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
    >
    > NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:

    http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04/memory-leak-progress/
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>

    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
    furniture dealer.

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Home Theatre Guy

    DTDoyle Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Home Theatre Guy wrote:
    >>
    >> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
    >> :(
    >>

    >> Is this a know bug ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
    >>
    >> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
    >
    > http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04/memory-leak-progress/
    > <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828

    Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
    I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
    newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
    files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
    link, it might help

    DTDoyle, Jul 23, 2006
  7. Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    > wrote in
    > :
    >
    >> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote
    >>> in news::

    >>> When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox
    >>> process using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it
    >>> happening, too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is
    >>> beyond my expertise.)
    >>>
    >>> Flatus

    >> How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
    >> used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
    >> 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it was
    >> only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted, gone,
    >> never recovered.
    >>
    >> A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most
    >> of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its
    >> not doing anything at all for the rest of the time.
    >>
    >> If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100%
    >> cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On some
    >> pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu usage is
    >> quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.
    >>

    > I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
    > Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to tweak how
    > rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of a competing
    > process of equal or higher perceived importance to the user.
    >
    > In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I have
    > little interest in visiting pages that would require me to turn
    > it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not actively using
    > Firefox--when I'm using something else like Eudora or
    > Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can legimately use available
    > processor time up to 100-pct when they're doing their database
    > management tasks.)
    >
    > When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager to see
    > what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's painless for
    > me to kill the process because the program is open just to
    > enhance its availability. Going back to the same page,
    > everything drops back down to less than 3- to 5-pct.
    >
    > But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular that
    > is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in my FF
    > useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully patched and
    > protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD, adaware,
    > spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
    >
    > Flatus

    Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox DOING when its
    using the cpu? Did you go to a url?

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 23, 2006
  8. I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
    not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
    come up :(

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 23, 2006
  9. I do know i'am using Firefox.

    It just seems to happen randomly when iam browesing. Ill try to see if
    its any Particular URLS that is causing it. But hard to do when it
    just happens and your not taking any notice. Ill try :)

    I think it also happens when i leave the browser and do other things,
    like watch a Divx Movie or some tv on my tuner card. But it does not
    happen right away always after some time has past.

    Thanks.

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:05:12 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 23, 2006
  10. On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:35:57 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    wrote in
    t:

    > Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    >> wrote in
    >> net
    >> :

    >>> How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
    >>> used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
    >>> 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it
    >>> was only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted,
    >>> gone, never recovered.
    >>>
    >>> A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle
    >>> part/most of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15%
    >>> then its not doing anything at all for the rest of the
    >>> time.
    >>>
    >>> If you would provide a location (url) where you notice
    >>> 100% cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On
    >>> some pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu
    >>> usage is quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.
    >>>

    >> I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
    >> Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to
    >> tweak how rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of
    >> a competing process of equal or higher perceived
    >> importance to the user.
    >>
    >> In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I
    >> have little interest in visiting pages that would require
    >> me to turn it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not
    >> actively using Firefox--when I'm using something else like
    >> Eudora or Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can
    >> legimately use available processor time up to 100-pct when
    >> they're doing their database management tasks.)
    >>
    >> When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager
    >> to see what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's
    >> painless for me to kill the process because the program is
    >> open just to enhance its availability. Going back to the
    >> same page, everything drops back down to less than 3- to
    >> 5-pct.
    >>
    >> But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular
    >> that is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in
    >> my FF useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully
    >> patched and protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD,
    >> adaware, spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
    >>
    >> Flatus

    > Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox
    > DOING when its using the cpu? Did you go to a url?

    It's certainly not _doing_ _anything_ that I would expect to
    cause an exceptionally high long-duration demands on the CPU.
    Indeed, Firefox might well be minimizaed in what I would expect
    to be, a passive state waiting to be called upon to do something
    meaningful.

    Thinking about it, it could well be related to one of my
    extensions that's executing a background task. Is there a
    practical way of seeing which firefox processes are using what
    system resources?

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jul 23, 2006
  11. Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:35:57 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    > wrote in
    > t:
    >
    >> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    >>> wrote in
    >>> net
    >>> :

    >>> I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
    >>> Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to
    >>> tweak how rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of
    >>> a competing process of equal or higher perceived
    >>> importance to the user.
    >>>
    >>> In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I
    >>> have little interest in visiting pages that would require
    >>> me to turn it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not
    >>> actively using Firefox--when I'm using something else like
    >>> Eudora or Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can
    >>> legimately use available processor time up to 100-pct when
    >>> they're doing their database management tasks.)
    >>>
    >>> When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager
    >>> to see what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's
    >>> painless for me to kill the process because the program is
    >>> open just to enhance its availability. Going back to the
    >>> same page, everything drops back down to less than 3- to
    >>> 5-pct.
    >>>
    >>> But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular
    >>> that is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in
    >>> my FF useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully
    >>> patched and protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD,
    >>> adaware, spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
    >>>
    >>> Flatus

    >> Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox
    >> DOING when its using the cpu? Did you go to a url?
    >>

    > It's certainly not _doing_ _anything_ that I would expect to
    > cause an exceptionally high long-duration demands on the CPU.
    > Indeed, Firefox might well be minimizaed in what I would expect
    > to be, a passive state waiting to be called upon to do something
    > meaningful.
    >
    > Thinking about it, it could well be related to one of my
    > extensions that's executing a background task. Is there a
    > practical way of seeing which firefox processes are using what
    > system resources?
    >
    > Flatus

    Cant you tell me in plain english what you have Firefox DOING when you
    notice the high Cpu usage?

    Did you just go to a website? Do a search? Or was it running in the
    background and you were using another program? WHAT was Firefox doing at
    the point in time it was using 100% cpu?

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 23, 2006
  12. Last time i was just watchign some TV via my tuner card and all of a
    sudden it just stoped, the TV that is :(

    I though it was the tuner card software but nope. Firefox decidied it
    need 100% of my CPU time so it kinds of Screws HD virewing on my tuner
    card big time. After alot of screwing arround i was final able to
    close Firefox and everything went back to normal :)

    Was nto browesing at the time just watch some TV while Firefox was as
    far as i know idle in the background.

    Though it happens when browesing as well.

    :(

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:10:22 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 23, 2006
  13. Home Theatre Guy

    gwtc Guest

    DTDoyle > wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Home Theatre Guy wrote:
    >>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
    >>> :(
    >>>

    >>> Is this a know bug ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
    >>>
    >>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
    >>
    >> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04/memory-leak-progress/
    >> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
    >>

    > Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
    > I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
    > newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
    > files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
    > link, it might help
    >
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

    no, he's not using TB because he said he'll go back to IE

    gwtc, Jul 23, 2006
  14. On 2006-07-23, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:

    > Why is it doing this.

    What do you mean? Don't you want your cpu to be used? Unless it's
    causing a performance problem, why worry about it?

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jul 23, 2006
  15. Home Theatre Guy wrote:

    > Last time i was just watchign some TV via my tuner card and all of a
    > sudden it just stoped, the TV that is :(
    >
    > I though it was the tuner card software but nope. Firefox decidied it
    > need 100% of my CPU time so it kinds of Screws HD virewing on my tuner
    > card big time. After alot of screwing arround i was final able to
    > close Firefox and everything went back to normal :)
    >
    > Was nto browesing at the time just watch some TV while Firefox was as
    > far as i know idle in the background.
    >
    > Though it happens when browesing as well.
    >
    > :(
    >

    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:10:22 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
    > Guy> wrote:
    >

    >> I do know i'am using Firefox.
    >>
    >> It just seems to happen randomly when iam browesing. Ill try to see if
    >> its any Particular URLS that is causing it. But hard to do when it
    >> just happens and your not taking any notice. Ill try :)
    >>
    >> I think it also happens when i leave the browser and do other things,
    >> like watch a Divx Movie or some tv on my tuner card. But it does not
    >> happen right away always after some time has past.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:05:12 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
    >> Guy> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
    >>> not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
    >>> come up :(

    A browser is seldom 'idle' - if the page has a meta refresh, then at
    specific intervals it would have to be downloaded again. And when that
    happens, well, Firefox asks for all the cpu time the system will give
    it, the faster to serve you.

    If you were watching TV, why didnt you quit or minimize Firefox? Or go
    to a site that doesnt have a meta refresh. Here's an idea for you, set
    up a bookmark that goes to a blanks page, as home even. Then when you
    want to do something else, one click, and Firefox WONT be asking for cpu
    time, because there is nothing for it to do! (staring at a blank page)

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 24, 2006
  16. Because when its at 100% i cant do SHIT. PC is totaly useless ?????

    You like useless pcs ?????

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 24, 2006
  17. Home Theatre Guy

    TheCroW Guest

    > Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
    > :(
    >

    > Is this a know bug ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
    >
    > NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Did some checking on my FF (version 1.5.0.4) and can not replicate that 100%
    use here. Ofcourse there are spikes towards 100% when scroling through pages
    or heave demanding Flash sites. Also not using that much add ons ... I use
    Adblock and Forecastfox (weather) and have only one skin besides the default
    FF skin/theme.
    Only heavy usage of FF is when I have a lot of tabs open. Then sometimes FF
    freezes and have to do a Ctrl/Alt/Del to close FF.

    Maybe some more info? What kind of CPU do you have, memory, add ons and how
    much usage does it show when you start FF the first time?

    --
    Menno
    =====================

    TheCroW, Jul 24, 2006
  18. On 2006-07-24, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:

    >>On 2006-07-23, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why is it doing this.

    >>What do you mean? Don't you want your cpu to be used? Unless it's
    >>causing a performance problem, why worry about it?

    > Because when its at 100% i cant do SHIT. PC is totaly useless ?????
    >

    > You like useless pcs ?????

    Ah. So it *IS* causing a performance problem. That wasn't clear in your
    original post.

    Try starting firefox in "safe mode" and see if it happens there:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

    If it doesn't happen, the problem is probably one of your
    installed extensions. Disable them all, and restart them one by one
    until you find the culprit.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jul 24, 2006
  19. When i get the 100% usage i can't even use Control,Alt,Del. Well it
    works but comes up in about five minutes and then i can'ty click shit
    becuase i have and hourglass as pointer.

    I think i have an Explanation though. I have a program called
    admuncher it munches ads. I think hats what causeing the problem. Ive
    turned it off as an experiment and if all gos well it must be the
    problem. Sad realy its he best ad muncher i have ever used gets
    EVERYTHIng and i do mean everything.

    Thanks for the help.

    Xp2400 at 1.8 ghz and 1 gig of pc3200 ram.

    Extensions. Talkback 1.5.0.4
    Tabmixplus 0.3.0.5
    Colorful Tabs 1.4

    That's it :)

    Thanks.

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 25, 2006
  20. Home Theatre Guy

    Troy Piggins Guest

    * Home Theatre Guy wrote:
    > When i get the 100% usage i can't even use Control,Alt,Del. Well it
    > works but comes up in about five minutes and then i can'ty click shit
    > becuase i have and hourglass as pointer.

    > I think i have an Explanation though. I have a program called
    > admuncher it munches ads. I think hats what causeing the problem. Ive
    > turned it off as an experiment and if all gos well it must be the
    > problem. Sad realy its he best ad muncher i have ever used gets
    > EVERYTHIng and i do mean everything.

    If it is indeed admuncher causing your problems, uninstall it and use
    the FF plugin 'adblock plus' together with 'adblock filterset G
    updater'. Performance is fine.

    --
    Troy Piggins : "Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."
    ,-o

    Troy Piggins, Jul 25, 2006