100% CPU problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gib Bogle, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/10/12 12:43, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <k5q5r0$h5i$>, ,
    >> ~misfit~ says...

    >>> I did the same - until there were issues with the MS one using 100%
    >>> CPU a few years back! Since then I've used Avast! with no trouble at
    >>> all. Small definitions downloads and nary a worry.

    >> I think you'll find MSE's changed a lot since then - several new
    >> engines have been released, not just definitions (which are pretty
    >> mucy daily).

    > I figured it might have. Unfortunately for me one of the PCs that I was
    > running it on when it had the 100% CPU issue had very marginal CPU cooling
    > (temporarilly, but I wasn't doing 'heavy' computing on it anyway and was
    > saving up for a decent cooler). The machine squealed and turned itself off,
    > then sat there radiating heat - a couple of times as the problem was both
    > intermittent and not widely known about. I went crazy trying to track down
    > the problem (yes, that's what made me insane <g>) and, when I finally sorted
    > it swore off MSE. <shrug>
    >
    >> What concerns me most about AVG and Avast, is their one year free
    >> licensing mode. I gave up on Avast several years ago due to their
    >> advertising popups, perhaps that's changed now. But AVG, well they
    >> sure make it difficult to renew the *free* license (all the
    >> navigation seems to point to upgrading to the paid for version) - and
    >> for many PC's I've seen, users just can't do it, and end up just
    >> leaving it. Effectively, as time passes, they have close to no
    >> protection at all.

    > Avast! isn't that difficult to renew the free licence - IMO anyone incapable
    > of doing it shouldn't really be using a PC. Yeah, the pop-up ads get a bit
    > annoying but they're not *too* intrusive, at least IMO.
    >
    > I don't know about MSE but one of the things I like most about Avast! is
    > it's small updates - making it a viable option for folks on dial-up.

    AVG refused to update meaning that I had to uninstall and reinstall
    every month. Avast! was fine in that respect but it had other issues.
    Can't remember what they were now.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Oct 20, 2012

  2. Gib Bogle

    John Little Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > My daughter's Compaq Vista laptop has developed a bad problem. The CPU
    > usage is stuck on 100%, making it very slow to use the machine.

    My daughter's win 7 machine reported similar trouble, except that the CPU
    usage wasn't always 100%, but it was always slow. Safe mode was ok. I
    scanned and scanned, several days of scans, all the suggestions here, to no
    avail. Had to reinstall, after copying off data in safe mode.

    I wish I'd gone for the reinstall sooner.

    Regards, John
    John Little, Oct 28, 2012