$100,000 bounty offered for stolen PC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. $100,000 bounty offered for stolen PC

    Reuters

    November 24, 2003, 5:08 AM PT

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5110830.html

    SAN FRANCISCO--Wells Fargo said on Friday it had offered a $100,000 reward for
    information leading to the arrest and conviction of the burglar who stole a
    bank consultant's computer that had sensitive customer information on it.

    The computer was one of several stolen earlier this month from the office of an
    analyst for the bank in Concord, California, the bank said.

    The stolen PC contained names, addresses, bank account numbers and social
    security numbers for customers who had taken out personal lines of credit that
    are used for consumer loans and overdraft protection, according to Wells Fargo.

    No passwords or personal identification numbers were among the stolen data and
    no other Wells Fargo customers were affected, the bank said.

    Under a California law enacted earlier this year aimed at curtailing identity
    theft, companies are required to notify customers when their computerized
    personal information is believed to have been stolen.

    Citing the ongoing police investigation, Lynn Greenwood, senior vice president
    of Wells Fargo's home and consumer finance group she could not say how many
    customers might be affected.

    "There is absolutely no indication anybody is misusing this information," she
    said. "We really, really regret this and are doing everything we possibly can
    to protect our customers."

    The bank alerted affected customers this week, she said.

    Greenwood said the bank was also monitoring customer accounts, changing account
    numbers and paying for a year's subscription to a credit monitoring service.

    The company, which set up a tip hotline at +1-800-782-7463, said it would
    ensure that customers are not affected financially by any unauthorized activity
    on their accounts.

    The San Francisco-based bank has about 22 million customers in 22 states, but
    only a "small percentage" of those were affected, she said.

    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
    caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 24, 2003