    connecting them?
    Are network cards, cables and plugs certified for 10gibabit/s Ethernet
    already on the market?

    Luca Villa, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Luca Villa

    why? Guest

    xpost from 24hoursupport.helpdesk, comp.os.linux.networking
    cut to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 16:27:04 -0800 (PST), Luca Villa wrote:

    >I've two PCs distant 100m/300ft. one from the other.
    >Within a budget of $1000 what's the fastest current solution for
    >connecting them?

    100m will get you 100Mbps/1Gbps off of any fairly good NIC / switch.

    Saying that IIRC when we had Cat5/5e a lot was installed at max 100m in
    some places. The Cat6 was kept to 90m.

    >Are network cards, cables and plugs certified for 10gibabit/s Ethernet
    >already on the market?

    10Gb seems just a bit much for 2 PCs.

    Like the 10Gb cards for servers, and some cables etc as these guys
    mention
    http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Category_6.html
    10 Gigabit Ethernet
    10Gig Ethernet Cable
    10Gig Modules
    10 Gig Patch Leads
    10Gig Patch Panels

    Use www.google.com

    The MaxCU PCI NIC offers the highest throughput Ethernet performance in
    the world today ... 10 Gb Ethernet over Copper PCI-X Module. Standards
    Compatibility ...
    www.aptyc.com/files/maxcuds17.pdf -

    Me

    why?, Jan 2, 2008

  3. On 2008-01-02, Luca Villa <> wrote:
    > I've two PCs distant 100m/300ft. one from the other.
    > Within a budget of $1000 what's the fastest current solution for
    > connecting them?
    > Are network cards, cables and plugs certified for 10gibabit/s Ethernet
    > already on the market?

    I think that gigabit is the fastest that makes sense. The hard drives
    cannot read fast enough to work faster than the gigabit speed. I have gigabit,
    myself.

    Ignoramus3921, Jan 2, 2008