    better choice since the build-in flasher reaches 13.1ft (however S45 flasher
    is 15.7ft so the S45 could be an bonus over the S50!).

    Chuck
    CNT, Oct 10, 2003

  2. "CNT" <> writes:

    > If the subject is quite close (3-4 feet), it will be well lighted by the
    > on-board flash and noise will not be a problem.
    > Advantage S50....Marginally higher resolution.
    > If the subject is pretty far away (18-20 feet), the subject will be poorly
    > lighted and noise and color depth may be a problem.
    > Advantage S45..... Marginally better color rendition.
    >
    > The above is a quote from one's suggestion for which camera (4/5MP). The
    > question is what would be good for if I do mostly 10 feet (8 to 10 feet is
    > what I find myself shooting). The area is in a low-lighted weddings and the
    > camera has the flasher set ON. To my best guess, looks like the 5MP (S50) is
    > better choice since the build-in flasher reaches 13.1ft (however S45 flasher
    > is 15.7ft so the S45 could be an bonus over the S50!).

    You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the subject is
    10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom lens and
    a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at 10-15
    feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Oct 10, 2003

  3. CNT

    CNT Guest

    LOL, that is where the G3 comes in!

    > You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the subject

    is
    > 10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom lens

    and
    > a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at

    10-15
    > feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

    BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
    internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
    That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
    S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.

    Also, can someone CONFIRM that the dpreview.com is correct with the flash
    length between the two cameras? According to the dpreview.com, the S45 have
    a flash range length of 15.7ft and the S50 has 13.1ft.

    Chuck
    CNT, Oct 10, 2003
  4. CNT

    Don Coon Guest

    "CNT" <> wrote in message news:3f862636$...
    > LOL, that is where the G3 comes in!
    >
    > > You want an external flash. I routinely shoot pictures where the

    subject
    > is
    > > 10-30 feet away (of course at that distance you also need a good zoom

    lens
    > and
    > > a reasonably powerful flash). Note, if you use the internal flash at

    > 10-15
    > > feet you are likely to suffer from redeye.

    > BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
    > internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
    > That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
    > S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.
    >
    > Also, can someone CONFIRM that the dpreview.com is correct with the flash
    > length between the two cameras? According to the dpreview.com, the S45

    have
    > a flash range length of 15.7ft and the S50 has 13.1ft.
    >
    > Chuck

    Looks to me like the have the same flash ratings.

    S50
    Flash Range (Auto ISO) • W: 35 cm - 4.8 m (1.1 ft. - 15.7 ft.)
    • T: 35 cm - 3 m (1.15 ft. - 9.8 ft.)

    Flash Range (ISO 100) • W: 55 cm – 4 m (1.8 ft. – 13.1 ft.)
    • T: 55 cm – 2.5 m (1.8 ft. – 8.2 ft.)

    S45

    Don Coon, Oct 10, 2003
  5. "CNT" <> writes:

    > BTW, would you happen to know where I can find the flasher that works with
    > internal flash (non-hot-shoe)? I had the link some years ago and lost it.
    > That would be something (best) I could do, speaking of insisting with
    > S45/S50. This thread is about the tear between the mere 4MP and 5MP.

    I don't recall if Canon cameras have a preflash or not. If it has a preflash,
    your options are more limited. Here is a listing of various slave flashes, and
    generic flashes that you can use a trigger (such as the Wein digital peanut
    slave trigger).

    http://www.therollbar.com/flashes.htm

    --
    Michael Meissner