    will be the cheapest and easiest way for me to get the printer on the
    network, but I would really like the rest of my network to remain at
    100mbps.

    rizon216, May 3, 2008

  2. rizon216

    Guest

    On May 2, 10:44 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > "rizon216" <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > I have a network that is currently running at 100mbps. I recently
    > > acquired an older HP LaserJet, which I plan on hooking up to the
    > > network with an old JetDirect EX that I have.

    > > The JetDirect EX is limited to 10mbps. Will my other devices continue
    > > to function at 100mbps, and the router (being used as a switch) simply
    > > talk to the JetDirect at 10mbps? I would really like to use it as this
    > > will be the cheapest and easiest way for me to get the printer on the
    > > network, but I would really like the rest of my network to remain at
    > > 100mbps.

    > The router will switch to 10 mbps when a NIC(s)  request that they are using
    > 10 mbps,  and 100 mbps for NIC(s) that request 100 mbps connection.
    >
    > The router which uses smart switch technology and it knows what to do. The
    > router can be converted to just be a switch and not a router, and it will
    > still use the smart switch technology.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp
    >
    > You also have 10/100 mbps NIC(s) that can be set to any speed and the router
    > or standalone smart switch will switch to the required speed.

    In addition to last post, the switch to 10mbps should only occur on
    the single port of the switch and/or Router.
    Make sure you RFTM (Jetdirect), to config IP settings, unless on
    network w/ DHCP and set to obtain.

    , May 3, 2008

  3. rizon216

    Plato Guest

    rizon216 wrote:

    > The JetDirect EX is limited to 10mbps. Will my other devices continue
    > to function at 100mbps, and the router (being used as a switch) simply

    Most hardware is backward compatible.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 6, 2008
  4. rizon216

    Phat Sam Guest

    On 6 May 2008 00:45:11 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >rizon216 wrote:
    >>
    >> The JetDirect EX is limited to 10mbps. Will my other devices continue
    >> to function at 100mbps, and the router (being used as a switch) simply

    >Most hardware is backward compatible.

    Most (if not all) Routers are also a switch. As long as the Jet
    Direct is hooked to a Router or switch directly, no problems... Now
    plug that JetDirect into a HUB that isn't a switch and every device on
    the hub will back down to 10mbps, and if I'm not mistaken the hub its
    self will talk to the router at 10mbps....

    Phat Sam, May 7, 2008
  5. rizon216

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:56:36 -0500, Phat Sam wrote:

    >On 6 May 2008 00:45:11 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    >>rizon216 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The JetDirect EX is limited to 10mbps. Will my other devices continue
    >>> to function at 100mbps, and the router (being used as a switch) simply

    >>Most hardware is backward compatible.

    >Most (if not all) Routers are also a switch. As long as the Jet
    >Direct is hooked to a Router or switch directly, no problems... Now
    >plug that JetDirect into a HUB that isn't a switch and every device on
    >the hub will back down to 10mbps, and if I'm not mistaken the hub its
    >self will talk to the router at 10mbps....

    I have always disliked the use of 'hub', which should be limited to
    describing a collection of ports. A hub that isn't a switch sounds odd
    :) when you mean a repeater.

    Generally correct, a repeater (almost always 10Mbps) would talk to the
    router at that speed. However a dual speed repeater that has 2 speed
    domains 10Mbps and 100Mbps could connect to a router at 100Mbps while
    internally it manages the 10 to 100 translation.

    All said and done a 10/100 switch that avoids the limitations of a
    repeater, is easier since repeaters and dual speed repeaters are harder
    to get hold of.

    Me

    why?, May 8, 2008
  6. rizon216

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 2 May 2008 22:24:55 -0700 (PDT), rizon216 <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a network that is currently running at 100mbps. I recently
    >acquired an older HP LaserJet, which I plan on hooking up to the
    >network with an old JetDirect EX that I have.
    >
    >The JetDirect EX is limited to 10mbps. Will my other devices continue
    >to function at 100mbps, and the router (being used as a switch) simply
    >talk to the JetDirect at 10mbps?

    Yes.

    >I would really like to use it as this
    >will be the cheapest and easiest way for me to get the printer on the
    >network, but I would really like the rest of my network to remain at
    >100mbps.

    It will.

    Barry
    =====