    I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.

    Other concepts welcome.

    ray, Jul 18, 2007

  2. ray

    Allen Guest

    ray wrote:
    > I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    > actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    > same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    > They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    > additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >
    > I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    > some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    > Other concepts welcome.

    Not 35mm canisters, diabetes test strip containers. I don't know what
    brand you use, but I use OneTouch meters. The containers are extremely
    hard plastic. I have cut the lids off a few and use them as small
    "printers' bones". PBs were originally made of hard bone and were used
    in printing businesses for creating really sharp edges on folds. The
    paper is folded manually or by machine, then laid on a flat surface and
    the bone is run down the fold. I'm familiar with these things because my
    grandmother had a weekly newspaper and printing business back in the
    1920s-1940s, and a good friend owned a very successful printing business.

    I don't know if you will find any odder uses, but who knows?

    Allen

    Allen, Jul 18, 2007

  3. ray wrote:
    > I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are
    > not actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip
    > cannisters, but the same size and much heavier duty. Also have some
    > that are a bit smaller. They seem to be accumulating at an alarming
    > rate and unless I come up with additional uses, I'll be forced by the
    > wife to start discarding.
    >
    > I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly)
    > and some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    > Other concepts welcome.

    Excellent for joining multiople data wires together. Drill a hole in each
    end, push the sheath through the lid end and the box end. Join or solder the
    wires (you can use nylon connector-blocks if you wish), now snap the lid on
    the box and you have a waterproof and damage-proof connection.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jul 18, 2007
  4. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:44:10 -0500, Allen wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    >> actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    >> same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    >> They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    >> additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >>
    >> I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    >> some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >>
    >> Other concepts welcome.
    >>

    > Not 35mm canisters, diabetes test strip containers. I don't know what
    > brand you use, but I use OneTouch meters. The containers are extremely
    > hard plastic. I have cut the lids off a few and use them as small
    > "printers' bones". PBs were originally made of hard bone and were used
    > in printing businesses for creating really sharp edges on folds. The
    > paper is folded manually or by machine, then laid on a flat surface and
    > the bone is run down the fold. I'm familiar with these things because my
    > grandmother had a weekly newspaper and printing business back in the
    > 1920s-1940s, and a good friend owned a very successful printing business.
    >
    > I don't know if you will find any odder uses, but who knows?
    >
    > Allen

    One fellow in a diabetes group recently relayed a story about how one
    summer the baby sitter had the young kids so tired they gladly napped
    every day. They could not figure out the secret to her success until one
    day they were home and the sitter asked the kids if they wanted to wash
    the car. They jumped up and down excitedly. The secret was: she gave each
    of them some film cannisters - they filled them with water, ran down the
    stairs and across the yard and dumped them on the car, then returned to
    repeat the process. Needless to say by the time they finished, they were
    exhausted.

    ray, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Ï "ray" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    > actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    > same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    > They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    > additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >
    > I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    > some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    > Other concepts welcome.

    Probably filling up landfills:(

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 18, 2007
  6. ray

    simon Guest

    Individual portion pots for freezing baby food at the weaning stage
    --

    www.srsteel.co.uk
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama

    simon, Jul 18, 2007
  7. ray

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Jul 18, 2007
  8. ray

    JohnR66 Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    > actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    > same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    > They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    > additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >
    > I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    > some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    > Other concepts welcome.

    I used them to store hardware and the extras were used for pellet gun target
    practice. I haven't shot film for 3.5 years now so there is no more supply.
    John

    JohnR66, Jul 18, 2007
  9. ray

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray wrote:

    > Other concepts welcome.

    I fill them with quarters when I haul clothes to coin operated
    washing machines/dryers. Much better than having lots of loose
    change in your pockets. Almost always with Kodak's plastic snap-lid
    tops, rather than older aluminum cannisters with screw-on tops.

    ASAAR, Jul 18, 2007
  10. ray

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray wrote:
    >
    >> Other concepts welcome.

    > I fill them with quarters when I haul clothes to coin operated
    > washing machines/dryers. Much better than having lots of loose
    > change in your pockets. Almost always with Kodak's plastic snap-lid
    > tops, rather than older aluminum cannisters with screw-on tops.

    Strangely, my glucose test strips come in a container that looks exactly
    like a 35 mm film cannister....

    Ron Hunter, Jul 19, 2007
  11. ray

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    : I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    : actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters,

    !!! Damn me, I had assumed I was the only one who re-used those!

    :
    : I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly)
    : and some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    :
    : Other concepts welcome.

    I use them for storing change (1c or 5c US). (I used them also for subway
    tokens until the MBTA went to a magnetic card system.) But the most important
    use I put them to is to carry around one dose of pills when I don't want to
    carry my full one-week pill box. (My wife is the diabetic; I'm a recovering
    heart patient.)

    Don't overlook plastic pill canisters! They come in many sizes, the largest of
    which can easily accommodate a 6-foot Ethernet cable and a reasonably sized
    USB cable suitable for connecting a computer to a digicam or card reader.
    Shorter ones can be used for change, multiple USB memory modules, and an
    eyeglass screwdriver.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2007
  12. ray

    Gladiator Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray <> wrote:

    >I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    >actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    >same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    >They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    >additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >
    >I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    >some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    >Other concepts welcome.

    They are good for storing your stash in.

    Gladiator, Jul 19, 2007
  13. ray

    Jer Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray wrote:
    >
    >> Other concepts welcome.

    > I fill them with quarters when I haul clothes to coin operated
    > washing machines/dryers. Much better than having lots of loose
    > change in your pockets. Almost always with Kodak's plastic snap-lid
    > tops, rather than older aluminum cannisters with screw-on tops.

    Same here for keeping toll change handy when on the scooter.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Jul 19, 2007
  14. ray

    davy Guest

    OK for keeping flower seeds..... solder dispenser rather than carry a
    drum around, just pop a hole in the top coil the solder up and put it
    inside.

    As suggested a clock or watch repairer to store parts or you could sell
    em on ebay.... as fresh air cannisters - only joking :)

    davy

    davy, Jul 19, 2007
  15. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:44:44 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray <> wrote:
    > : I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    > : actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters,
    >
    > !!! Damn me, I had assumed I was the only one who re-used those!
    >
    > : but the same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit
    > : smaller. They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless
    > : I come up with additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start
    > : discarding.
    > :
    > : I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly)
    > : and some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    > :
    > : Other concepts welcome.
    >
    > I use them for storing change (1c or 5c US). (I used them also for subway
    > tokens until the MBTA went to a magnetic card system.) But the most important
    > use I put them to is to carry around one dose of pills when I don't want to
    > carry my full one-week pill box. (My wife is the diabetic; I'm a recovering
    > heart patient.)
    >
    > Don't overlook plastic pill canisters! They come in many sizes, the largest of
    > which can easily accommodate a 6-foot Ethernet cable and a reasonably sized
    > USB cable suitable for connecting a computer to a digicam or card reader.
    > Shorter ones can be used for change, multiple USB memory modules, and an
    > eyeglass screwdriver.
    >
    > Bob

    I have several big pill containers - I'm on metformin 4x500 now - and
    those come in a big container. I'm saving those for sorting things in the
    shop - they're good because they're semi-opaque.

    ray, Jul 19, 2007
  16. ray

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:25:05 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > ASAAR wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:59:54 -0600, ray wrote:
    >>
    >>> Other concepts welcome.

    >> I fill them with quarters when I haul clothes to coin operated
    >> washing machines/dryers. Much better than having lots of loose
    >> change in your pockets. Almost always with Kodak's plastic snap-lid
    >> tops, rather than older aluminum cannisters with screw-on tops.
    >>

    > Strangely, my glucose test strips come in a container that looks exactly
    > like a 35 mm film cannister....

    That's what prompted the question - they are generally quite sturdier,
    though.

    ray, Jul 19, 2007
  17. ray

    theclyde Guest

    On Jul 18, 9:59 am, ray <> wrote:
    > I'm seeking creative uses for 35mm film cannisters. What I have are not
    > actually film cannisters, they are diabetes test strip cannisters, but the
    > same size and much heavier duty. Also have some that are a bit smaller.
    > They seem to be accumulating at an alarming rate and unless I come up with
    > additional uses, I'll be forced by the wife to start discarding.
    >
    > I already use some for small computer parts storage (screws mostly) and
    > some in my fishing supplies - for flies, hooks, etc.
    >
    > Other concepts welcome.

    The Winnipeg Folk Festival hands out mass amounts of those film
    canisters to be used as cigarette butt holders (instead of the less
    attractive throwing your butt on the ground so people can step on or
    sit in the ashes and/or glowing embers). They are good at holding
    butts, but make sure you snuff the butt out first else it will melt a
    hole right through.

    theclyde, Jul 19, 2007
  18. ray

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Because I was on peritoneal dialysis for a year I collected dozens of
    (unused!) screw-top urine sample jars, a bit wider but the same height as
    film canisters. Like others, I use them for holding change, but also:

    A spiral of electronic multiflux solder fed through a hole in the top, holds
    the end steady so you can apply the heat and join wires while both hands are
    full.

    Great for holding screws, washers, nuts, bolts etc. in a sort of 'spice
    rack' arrangement.

    Good for camping day trips, where you can keep an extra supply of coffee,
    tea and sugar. On longer trips, good for salt and other spices - completely
    waterproof, so matches too.

    Funnily enough, these are also quite good for presenting urine samples at
    clinics!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jul 20, 2007
  19. Paul Bartram <p.bartram AT OR NEAR optusnet.com.au> wrote:
    > Good for camping day trips, where you can keep an extra supply of coffee,
    > tea and sugar. On longer trips, good for salt and other spices - completely
    > waterproof, so matches too.

    Useful for travelling - make your own containers of shampoo, shower gel,
    clothes soap, toothpaste etc. They're probably a compact way to get through
    the new liquids-in-hand-baggage regulations, though when flying it's best to
    make sure they're completely full as any air gap may blow the lid under
    cabin (lack of) pressure.

    Make electrical adaptors (eg jack to phono) by mounting a socket in the lid
    and a flying lead from the bottom. They're also handy containers for little
    circuits, such as a 12V->5V voltage regulator (though metal shoe polish tins
    are better for their heatsinking properties).

    Mini flowerpots?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Jul 22, 2007
  20. Theo wrote on 22 Jul 2007 14:24:58 +0100 (BST):

    Around here, parking meters still use quarters and a full film
    canister will hold about 40. I also use one to hold the little
    packets of pepper and salt in case I forget to pick some up when
    I get a sandwich to go. The canister came in useful when I
    bought a sandwich in Subway in Las Vegas airport last week where
    apparently they are not allowed to provide the packets and it is
    impossible to tell how much salt you will want before tasting.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not