    bigger and not better performance. Has technology hit a roadblock keeping
    the 10,000s from becoming reasonably priced and the standard.

    Joe

    Joe, Oct 31, 2004

  2. Joe

    Thor Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What's keeping these drives from moving into the mainstream and replacing
    > 7200 Rpm drives as the standard? It did not seem like it took that long
    > for 7200 to replace 5400 as the standard. These days it seems the focus is
    > on bigger and not better performance. Has technology hit a roadblock
    > keeping the 10,000s from becoming reasonably priced and the standard.

    Nothing technical is keeping them from the market. 10K drives have been
    around in the SCSI world for quite sometime now. The technological hurdles
    (heat and reliability) have long been overcome. There are now 10K SATA
    drives out, so I don't think you'll be waiting much longer. I think the long
    delay has more to do with economics. ATA drives have been aimed primarily at
    the consumer and small office computer market, while SCSI still dominates
    the server world. Enterprise-class SCSI drives are quite a bit more
    expensive than PATA and SATA drives, so 10K technology that could be
    justified in the price of the average SCSI drive is harder to get into a
    consumer-class drive that has to keep it's price in a highly competetive,
    minimal-margin marketplace. We are seeing more enterprise-class ATA drives
    now, and people will pay a premium for the 10K speed. But for the time
    being, 7200 drives are cheap to make, and keep PC prices low. Manufacturers
    like that.

    Thor, Oct 31, 2004

  3. Joe

    Matt Pascoe Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > What's keeping these drives from moving into the mainstream and replacing
    > 7200 Rpm drives as the standard? It did not seem like it took that long
    > for 7200 to replace 5400 as the standard. These days it seems the focus is
    > on bigger and not better performance. Has technology hit a roadblock
    > keeping the 10,000s from becoming reasonably priced and the standard.

    I guess its because they are still relatively new, im sure eventually they
    will replace the 7200rpm models and be reasonably priced one day.

    Matt Pascoe, Nov 1, 2004