1) Sony Alpha vs Canon EOS 400D : software running on Mac OS X --- 2) RAW to TIFF conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    Hi,

    I'm to buy a photo camera and I really hesitate between Sony Alpha and
    Canon EOS 400D (the Nikon D80 is a bit too expensive for me). As of
    today I tend to prefer the Canon, even if a wee-bit small for my big
    hands, but I have a question to ask you guys about bundled softwares.
    Since I'm running on Mac OS X (I have a G4 PowerBook), which
    manufacturer brings the best softwares with its camera?

    I had a look at Canon's website and already watched their how-to's,
    seems a pretty neat piece of software, but what about Sony? What do
    you think about their softwares?

    Still about softwares, I'm running Aperture 1.5, PhotoShop CS1, iView
    Media Pro 3 as well as some other things (Gimp, GraphicConverter...)
    and not all of my softwares are compatible with these cameras RAW
    format. What would be the best tool to convert RAW to TIFF (or any
    other format you recommend)? Would the conversion alter my original
    photos, like adding artifacts?

    Thanks for your answers
    Larry

    Larry, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Larry

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:30:07 -0800, Larry wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm to buy a photo camera and I really hesitate between Sony Alpha and
    > Canon EOS 400D (the Nikon D80 is a bit too expensive for me). As of
    > today I tend to prefer the Canon, even if a wee-bit small for my big
    > hands, but I have a question to ask you guys about bundled softwares.
    > Since I'm running on Mac OS X (I have a G4 PowerBook), which
    > manufacturer brings the best softwares with its camera?
    >
    > I had a look at Canon's website and already watched their how-to's,
    > seems a pretty neat piece of software, but what about Sony? What do
    > you think about their softwares?
    >
    > Still about softwares, I'm running Aperture 1.5, PhotoShop CS1, iView
    > Media Pro 3 as well as some other things (Gimp, GraphicConverter...)
    > and not all of my softwares are compatible with these cameras RAW
    > format. What would be the best tool to convert RAW to TIFF (or any
    > other format you recommend)? Would the conversion alter my original
    > photos, like adding artifacts?
    >
    > Thanks for your answers
    > Larry

    Suggest you look at 'ufraw'.

    ray, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Larry

    Roy G Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm to buy a photo camera and I really hesitate between Sony Alpha and
    > Canon EOS 400D (the Nikon D80 is a bit too expensive for me). As of

    Hi

    You are not being very sensible.

    You should be thinking about the Camera only. Does it do what you need, do
    you enjoy handling it.

    The SW which comes with it will almost certainly be crap, and not worth
    thinking about.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 30, 2007
  4. Larry

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 30, 6:43 am, "Roy G" <> wrote:
    > "Larry" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm to buy a photo camera and I really hesitate between Sony Alpha and
    > > Canon EOS 400D (the Nikon D80 is a bit too expensive for me). As ofHi

    > You are not being very sensible.
    >
    > You should be thinking about the Camera only. Does it do what you need, do
    > you enjoy handling it.
    >
    > The SW which comes with it will almost certainly be crap, and not worth
    > thinking about.
    >
    > Roy G

    The Nikon software that comes with the camera is just as bad or maybe
    worse than the Canon or the Sony (unless you buy CaptureNX). If you
    have Aperture, that should handle the RAW files from your camera, you
    may have to upgrade the RAW section. Don't know if the latest Adobe
    RAW will work with CS1, don't upgrade until CS3 comes out, then again
    CS2 is very stable. A lot of Canon owners like Phase One's Capturer
    1LE (about $100). There is also Silky Pics. Most of these are
    excellent RAW converters.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Larry

    Guest

    Both cameras will give excellent results.

    Both RAW formats are widely supported making bundled software
    redundant.

    In the Canon's favour:
    Less noise at higher ISO
    Established system

    In the Sony's favour:
    In camera anti-shake system (works with all lenses)
    Very sharp images but increased noise at high ISO

    Not much to choose between them. I eventually went with the Sony but
    it was not an easy decision. I am very pleased with it.

    Yes, your RAW images are altered in the conversion process. That is
    what conversion does. No, atifacts will not be added.

    Good luck and enjoy your new camera.

    Rob

    On Jan 30, 3:30 am, "Larry" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm to buy a photo camera and I really hesitate betweenSony Alphaand
    > Canon EOS 400D (the Nikon D80 is a bit too expensive for me). As of
    > today I tend to prefer the Canon, even if a wee-bit small for my big
    > hands, but I have a question to ask you guys about bundled softwares.
    > Since I'm running on Mac OS X (I have a G4 PowerBook), which
    > manufacturer brings the best softwares with its camera?
    >
    > I had a look at Canon's website and already watched their how-to's,
    > seems a pretty neat piece of software, but what about Sony? What do
    > you think about their softwares?
    >
    > Still about softwares, I'm running Aperture 1.5, PhotoShop CS1, iView
    > Media Pro 3 as well as some other things (Gimp, GraphicConverter...)
    > and not all of my softwares are compatible with these cameras RAW
    > format. What would be the best tool to convert RAW to TIFF (or any
    > other format you recommend)? Would the conversion alter my original
    > photos, like adding artifacts?
    >
    > Thanks for your answers
    > Larry

    , Jan 31, 2007
  6. Larry

    Q.T. Bouy Guest

    Just one extra note on the sony, I purchased it thinking that the CCD
    would capture everything that I wanted. In exposures longer than 30
    secs, there is a serious ammount of amplifier noise in the top of the
    frame. This also occurs at 800 and 1600 iso if you push it in the
    converter for exposures longer than 1/15 sec. If you are into the very
    long exposures or need the high ISO go with the Canon.

    Q.T. Bouy, Apr 14, 2007