    Can anyone help with this one?
    TIA

    Baffled of Bristol

    reb, Nov 2, 2004

  2. reb

    Muppet Guest

    "reb" <> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
    > my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
    > say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
    > should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
    > Can anyone help with this one?
    > TIA
    >
    > Baffled of Bristol

    Duff filter ?

    Muppet, Nov 2, 2004

  3. reb

    SwissTony Guest

    "reb" <> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    > My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
    > my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
    > say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
    > should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
    > Can anyone help with this one?
    > TIA
    >
    > Baffled of Bristol

    i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
    Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up the
    voice part.

    SwissTony, Nov 2, 2004
  4. reb

    Bob Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    > "reb" <> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    >> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out.
    >> But,
    >> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working.
    >> BT
    >> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But
    >> why
    >> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
    >> Can anyone help with this one?
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Baffled of Bristol
    >>

    > i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
    > Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
    > the
    > voice part.

    I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router, took
    out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
    I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the possibility
    of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.

    Bob

    Bob, Nov 2, 2004
  5. On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

    > "SwissTony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "reb" <> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
    >>> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out.
    >>> But,
    >>> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working.
    >>> BT
    >>> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But
    >>> why
    >>> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
    >>> Can anyone help with this one?
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
    >> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
    >> the
    >> voice part.
    >>

    > I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router, took
    > out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
    > I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the possibility
    > of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.

    Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!! The staff of life!!

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 2, 2004
  6. reb

    Bob Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    > Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    > up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
    >>
    >> "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    >>> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
    >>> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
    >>> the
    >>> voice part.
    >>>

    >> I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router,
    >> took
    >> out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
    >> I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the
    >> possibility
    >> of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.
    >>

    > Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > BEER!! The staff of life!!
    > Linux Registered User 5A020

    Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile, got the
    ringing tone but the phone didn't ring

    Bob, Nov 2, 2004
  7. On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:31:21 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

    > "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    >> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    >> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

    snip

    >> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
    >>

    > Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile, got the
    > ringing tone but the phone didn't ring

    I thought you probably had, but had to ask. It sure sounds like the
    filter or splitter, then.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 2, 2004
  8. reb

    dadiOH Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:31:21 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    > Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    > up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
    >>
    >> "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    >>> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    >>> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
    >>>>

    > snip
    >>>>

    >>> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther
    >>> phone?
    >>>

    >> Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile,
    >> got the ringing tone but the phone didn't ring
    >>

    > I thought you probably had, but had to ask. It sure sounds like the
    > filter or splitter, then.

    Gee, I wonder if OP thought to unplug those and try just the phone? Think maybe?

    I have the same problem - fucked phone, DSL OK - and have had so since August and September brought three hurricanes to central Florida. Well, there were four but one wasn't in my area.

    Verizon has "fixed" it four times. each time it works OK for a couple of days and then reverts. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it works but with static, sometimes there is no dial tone. In the latter case, we can normally receive calls and - once someone calls in - we'll have a dial tone for a while.

    I don't know what the problem is but it doesn't affect DSL...something about "twisted pairs".

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Nov 2, 2004
  9. reb

    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    > Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
    > up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
    >>
    >> "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    >>> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
    >>> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
    >>> the
    >>> voice part.
    >>>

    >> I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router,
    >> took
    >> out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
    >> I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the
    >> possibility
    >> of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.
    >>

    > Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > BEER!! The staff of life!!
    > Linux Registered User 5A020

    Sorry for the delay replying, lost the net completely for 2 days, back now
    tho. still no voice-line, can't make or receive calls. If they really take
    9 days to fix this theni t's bye-bye BT, hello Telewest!

    Bob

    Bob, Nov 4, 2004
  10. On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:18:32 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
    Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana
    jammed up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

    >> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?

    > Sorry for the delay replying, lost the net completely for 2 days, back now
    > tho. still no voice-line, can't make or receive calls. If they really take
    > 9 days to fix this theni t's bye-bye BT, hello Telewest!
    >
    > Bob

    Errm, if I got that kind of service from my ISP, it would *definitely*
    be bye-bye. :-(

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 4, 2004
  11. reb

    Bob Guest

    > Errm, if I got that kind of service from my ISP, it would *definitely*
    > be bye-bye. :-(
    >
    > --
    > The Old Sourdough
    > BEER!! The staff of life!!
    > Linux Registered User 5A020

    The problem isn't the ISP, (Pipex), but BT who provide the landline and who
    want that banana jammed up *their* asses, after it's been stuffed with
    gunpowder!

    BEER...more than just a breakfast drink ;)

    Bob

    Bob, Nov 4, 2004
  12. reb

    Millimeter Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:23:05 -0000, "reb" <> wrote:

    >My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
    >my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
    >say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
    >should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
    >Can anyone help with this one?
    >TIA
    >
    >Baffled of Bristol

    Hi Reb,

    We moved to a new house recently. Initially the phone was changed on
    moving day (we kept the same number) so the phone only worked at the
    new place and my dsl ony at the old place.

    As I am with Bell Canada, my ISP and Telephone provider are the same
    company. When they finally got around to moving my internet access o
    the new place the phone went dead.

    Turns out it was a case of twisted pairs as mentioned in another
    reply.

    My 2 cents,
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Nov 12, 2004
  13. reb

    Geoff Guest

    I doubt if your line is "dead". A telephone creates a drop in the line
    volts when the receiver is lifted and it is this that the exchange detects
    to provide the dialling tone and subsequent connection to the line. DSL on
    the other hand is permanently connected and requires only a digital signal.

    Have you tried replacing the phone with another one? Do you still have a
    56k modem attached in your PC?
    If you have extension sockets, disconnect the phones from all of them and
    try just one phone on the master socket, (the first one on the line after it
    enters the house).

    Failing all of this, my guess would be that the problem is at the exchange.

    Geoff.

    Geoff, Nov 12, 2004
  14. reb

    Millimeter Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:32:55 -0000, "Geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >I doubt if your line is "dead". A telephone creates a drop in the line
    >volts when the receiver is lifted and it is this that the exchange detects
    >to provide the dialling tone and subsequent connection to the line. DSL on
    >the other hand is permanently connected and requires only a digital signal.
    >
    >Have you tried replacing the phone with another one? Do you still have a
    >56k modem attached in your PC?
    >If you have extension sockets, disconnect the phones from all of them and
    >try just one phone on the master socket, (the first one on the line after it
    >enters the house).
    >
    >Failing all of this, my guess would be that the problem is at the exchange.
    >
    >Geoff.

    Hi Geoff,
    Were you repying to me or OP?

    In my case pulled my phone pair at the telco for testing the dsl pair,
    but neglected to re-insert them once the ds wasive.
    Milimeter.

    Millimeter, Nov 12, 2004
  15. reb

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > The year 2008 was a general date by which time everyone will realize
    > the world they thought they were living in was over.

    Should I be dead?

    > Part of the inhumanity of a bot is that, once it is competently
    > programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

    A robot? Where?

    --
    Solve the food crisis and the homeless pet problem.
    Eat a dog today!

    Aquila Deus, Nov 12, 2004
  16. In article <> Millimeter <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:32:55 -0000, "Geoff" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I doubt if your line is "dead". A telephone creates a drop in the line
    >>volts when the receiver is lifted and it is this that the exchange detects
    >>to provide the dialling tone and subsequent connection to the line. DSL on
    >>the other hand is permanently connected and requires only a digital signal.
    >>
    >>Have you tried replacing the phone with another one? Do you still have a
    >>56k modem attached in your PC?
    >>If you have extension sockets, disconnect the phones from all of them and
    >>try just one phone on the master socket, (the first one on the line after it
    >>enters the house).
    >>
    >>Failing all of this, my guess would be that the problem is at the exchange.
    >>
    >>Geoff.

    >Hi Geoff,
    >Were you repying to me or OP?

    The year 2008 was a general date by which time everyone will realize
    the world they thought they were living in was over.

    >In my case pulled my phone pair at the telco for testing the dsl pair,
    >but neglected to re-insert them once the ds wasive.
    >Milimeter.

    Part of the inhumanity of a bot is that, once it is competently
    programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "After all your love" postings to her what happened, spurned yet
    again?" -- Fyre

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 12, 2004
  17. In article <> Aquila Deus <> wrote:

    >Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:
    >
    >> The year 2008 was a general date by which time everyone will realize
    >> the world they thought they were living in was over.

    >Should I be dead?

    He has a mind like a steel trap -- always closed.

    >> Part of the inhumanity of a bot is that, once it is competently
    >> programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.

    >A robot? Where?

    I know exactly where I was and every detail of the exact moment the
    first nuclear warheads began falling on Jacksonville.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "It ain't a bot. Bot's are smarter, funnier, more interesting." --
    Gary L. Burnore

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 12, 2004
  18. reb

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > I know exactly where I was and every detail of the exact moment the
    > first nuclear warheads began falling on Jacksonville.

    Does anyone else know exactly where you were and every detail of the exact

    Aquila Deus, Nov 12, 2004
  19. reb

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:

    > Though you bite so sharp at reasons, you are so empty of them.

    I doubt it. Can you prove that?

    Aquila Deus, Nov 12, 2004
  20. In article <> Aquila Deus <> wrote:

    >Lady Chatterly, <> wrote:
    >
    >> I know exactly where I was and every detail of the exact moment the
    >> first nuclear warheads began falling on Jacksonville.

    >Does anyone else kn

    Though you bite so sharp at reasons, you are so empty of them.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "You've been boring people for months now with your hollow phrases and
    wornout cliches. Is that your strategy? Just boring people to death?
    If you've got something substantial to add, for crying out loud; add
    it! If not, just shut the **** up. Go blow an alien! ... btw, are you
    Dorothy?" -- 19:09:05:13

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 12, 2004