    received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    between the two?

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 13, 2003

  2. 1 GB microdrive suck up more power....

    Bob P.

    Bob Pattinson, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    Not enough to worry about, perhaps the eqivalent of two flashes per battery
    load/charge.

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:48:18 GMT, "Bob Pattinson" <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    J. A. Mc., Dec 13, 2003
  4. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    theOn Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:05:27 GMT, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <> found these unused words floating about:

    >What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    >either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card? Logic tells me that the
    >microdrive having moving parts may not be as reliable as a CF card.
    >However, the camera shop that I deal with tells me that they have
    >received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    >huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    >between the two?

    If the card is 16x or better then it should be faster than the microdrive.

    If the price is the same, I'd opt for the card now. I've had a microdrive
    for two years in all extremes and only had one problem.

    That was when I tried writing to it at a fairly fast, constatnt rate with an
    intervalometer. One picture every 6 seconds. I think it over heated (desert)
    and a few images had garbage 'bars'.

    Reformatted - there's not been a bad image since - now well over a year!

    J. A. Mc., Dec 13, 2003
  5. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    J. A. Mc. wrote:

    > That was when I tried writing to it at a fairly fast, constatnt rate
    > with an intervalometer. One picture every 6 seconds. I think it over
    > heated (desert) and a few images had garbage 'bars'.
    >
    > Reformatted - there's not been a bad image since - now well
    > over a year!

    I've had a 1GB Microdrive for years and not a single problem.
    Still, it's not as fast as a 1GB CF card when writing RAW files
    and therefore I now use it only as a backup. At the time I bought
    it, it was a TERRIFIC bargain (1GB flash cards didn't even exist
    and a 256mb card would actually cost a lot more), but now
    that prices of memory are at a historical low, I'm not sure the
    marginal savings make it a viable alternative.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:38:19 GMT, "Paolo Pizzi"
    <> found these unused words floating about:

    >J. A. Mc. wrote:
    >
    >> That was when I tried writing to it at a fairly fast, constatnt rate
    >> with an intervalometer. One picture every 6 seconds. I think it over
    >> heated (desert) and a few images had garbage 'bars'.
    >>
    >> Reformatted - there's not been a bad image since - now well
    >> over a year!

    >I've had a 1GB Microdrive for years and not a single problem.
    >Still, it's not as fast as a 1GB CF card when writing RAW files
    >and therefore I now use it only as a backup. At the time I bought
    >it, it was a TERRIFIC bargain (1GB flash cards didn't even exist
    >and a 256mb card would actually cost a lot more), but now
    >that prices of memory are at a historical low, I'm not sure the
    >marginal savings make it a viable alternative.

    Thanks for the snip to make it appear I said it was a better choice!

    My comment was "If the price is the same, I'd opt for the card now. "

    J. A. Mc., Dec 14, 2003
  7. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    J. A. Mc. wrote:

    >> I've had a 1GB Microdrive for years and not a single problem.
    >> Still, it's not as fast as a 1GB CF card when writing RAW files
    >> and therefore I now use it only as a backup. At the time I bought
    >> it, it was a TERRIFIC bargain (1GB flash cards didn't even exist
    >> and a 256mb card would actually cost a lot more), but now
    >> that prices of memory are at a historical low, I'm not sure the
    >> marginal savings make it a viable alternative.
    >>

    > Thanks for the snip to make it appear I said it was a better choice!

    Sorry if it appeared so, it wasn't my intention at all.
    More like a confirmation.

    > My comment was "If the price is the same, I'd opt for the card now. "

    Good choice.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    jam Guest

    Since you have the choice now, get the CF card. They're far more
    durable and don't have 10,000' altitude limits like microdrives. CF
    card won't even notice being dropped onto a hard surface from 3'.
    We've even seen credible reports of CF cards surviving washing
    machines. I don't think microdrives have anywhere near that kind of
    durability. To my mind, microdrive writing speeds would have to be a
    lot faster to offset the durability advantage.

    More and more devices with CF or PC card slots are microdrive
    compatible, but I think you'd also be better off with a CF card on the
    compatibility front with PDAs, etc.
    --
    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO

    jam, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"

    >What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    >either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card?

    I have one of each, a 1 GB IBM udrive that came with a D30 and a 1 GB Lexar 32x
    WA we bought earlier this year.

    The Lexar is somewhat faster and seems to use less power, the microdrive has
    about 5% more capacity even though they are both nominally 1 GB.

    If they were the same price I'd get the Lexar. If the microdrive is about $50
    cheaper I'd probably go for it instead.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 14, 2003
  10. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

    > What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    > either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card? Logic tells me that the
    > microdrive having moving parts may not be as reliable as a CF card.
    > However, the camera shop that I deal with tells me that they have
    > received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    > huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    > between the two?

    I would expect the CF card to be a bit more secure, but there are
    stories of microdrives surviving unbelieveable trauma, such as one that
    survived the WTC disaster.
    At the moment, the microdrive may be a bit cheaper..

    Ron Hunter, Dec 14, 2003
  11. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Bill Guest

    If the price difference is small, the CF card is a better choice. Less
    power, faster (if it's a 16x or higher) and bascially more reliable in
    extremes of temperature, altitude etc. I don't know what camera you have,
    but with my Fuji S602 there is no problem when using continuous shooting at
    it's fastest rate of 5 frames per second.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Thanks to everyone who responded, appreciate the advice.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 14, 2003
  13. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Mike Guest

    > What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    > either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card? Logic tells me that the
    > microdrive having moving parts may not be as reliable as a CF card.
    > However, the camera shop that I deal with tells me that they have
    > received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    > huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    > between the two?
    >
    > Your logic is correct it dictates that it is better to use solid state

    memory against a hard drive as solid state is more robust and faster and it
    doesn't have a fragile platter to search etc, drop a micro drive and that it
    US
    MikeS

    Mike, Dec 14, 2003
  14. Peter A. Stavrakoglou

    Roy P. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    >either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card? Logic tells me that the
    >microdrive having moving parts may not be as reliable as a CF card.
    >However, the camera shop that I deal with tells me that they have
    >received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    >huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    >between the two?

    I've used an IBM microdrive for a couple of years now. Absolutely no
    problems, and it's been very reliable.

    Just figure that your microdrive should last at least a few years, and
    then take the cost difference for the same size flash card.

    A flash card will last over 100,000 rewrites, so that's pretty much
    the lifetime of the camera (if you did 10 rewrites a day, ie., filling
    up your card each time, then it would still take over 27 years to get
    to 100,000 rewrites.)

    So you have to choose between something disposable and something
    virtually permanent, but getting the cheaper disposable might make
    sense if you suspect that CF cards will be dirt cheap (and faster and
    bigger) by the time the drive is dead...

    Roy P., Dec 14, 2003
  15. Another idea (Re: 1 GB Microdrive or 1 GB Compact Flash Card)

    > What is the preference of the readers of this group between having
    > either a 1 GB microdrive or 1 GB CF card? Logic tells me that the
    > microdrive having moving parts may not be as reliable as a CF card.
    > However, the camera shop that I deal with tells me that they have
    > received scant few microdrives back from customers - and they sell a
    > huge amount. Also, which will the camera write images to faster
    > between the two?

    Peter,

    I've used a 1GB MD for years, since back when there was no choice for 1GB.
    Its been 100% reliable (after about 15,000 3-8MB images and about 100GBs of
    video). Don't hesitate to get one. A few thoughts:

    - If you transfer images directly from your camera then the camera itself
    is the limiting factor for drops/bumps/etc.
    - The extra power drain is insignificant, real world.
    - Transfer speed and seek time is faster than the cheap CF cards, about the
    same a the more expensive CF cards.

    But...

    Maybe a better idea is to get a cheap 256MB card and a 20/40/60/80GB XDrive
    (or equivalent) for about the same price as a fast 1GB CF card. Aside from
    giving you virtually unlimited CF storage in the field, it will also obviate
    the need to transfer images to your PC since it also functions as an
    external USB2 hard drive--and also as a card reader, though you'll no longer
    need one. Price is about $240 for a 40GB model. If you already have a
    2.5" drive laying around, its around $90 sans hardrive. I got mine here (no
    affiliation)...

    http://www.insidecomputer.com/digital_storage_comparison_chart.htm

    George Preddy, Dec 14, 2003
  16. jam wrote:

    >Since you have the choice now, get the CF card. They're far more
    >durable and don't have 10,000' altitude limits like microdrives.

    Your .sig says you live in Colorado. Have you taken a microdrive up
    to the high country? I did extensive shooting in Rocky Mountain
    National Park above 12,000 feet with *three* microdrives and had zero
    problems.

    BTW, I am not a microdrive zealot - if I were buying now, I would get
    the CF. But I have used those three microdrives all around the world
    for >two years and have never had a problem.
    --
    Andy Williams

    Andy Williams, Dec 14, 2003
  17. Re: Another idea (Re: 1 GB Microdrive or 1 GB Compact Flash Card)

    CF states that a CF card whould be good for 100 years use...i suppose
    they think they will never wear out?

    There are 2.2Gb microdrives on ebay for $179.95 buy it now (i am not
    the seller)

    I got my sandisk 256 CF on ebay from about $52 delivered.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 14, 2003
  18. Re: Another idea (Re: 1 GB Microdrive or 1 GB Compact Flash Card)

    "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > Peter,
    >
    > I've used a 1GB MD for years, since back when there was no choice

    for 1GB.
    > Its been 100% reliable (after about 15,000 3-8MB images and about

    100GBs of
    > video). Don't hesitate to get one. A few thoughts:
    >
    > - If you transfer images directly from your camera then the camera

    itself
    > is the limiting factor for drops/bumps/etc.
    > - The extra power drain is insignificant, real world.
    > - Transfer speed and seek time is faster than the cheap CF cards,

    about the
    > same a the more expensive CF cards.
    >
    > But...
    >
    > Maybe a better idea is to get a cheap 256MB card and a 20/40/60/80GB

    XDrive
    > (or equivalent) for about the same price as a fast 1GB CF card.

    Aside from
    > giving you virtually unlimited CF storage in the field, it will also

    obviate
    > the need to transfer images to your PC since it also functions as an
    > external USB2 hard drive--and also as a card reader, though you'll

    no longer
    > need one. Price is about $240 for a 40GB model. If you already

    have a
    > 2.5" drive laying around, its around $90 sans hardrive. I got mine

    here (no
    > affiliation)...
    >
    > http://www.insidecomputer.com/digital_storage_comparison_chart.htm

    That's an alternative I didn't consider. I have a 256MB card that I
    picked up with my new SD9 from Cameta. The price of the 40 GB X-Drive
    is only $ 199.99 at the link you provided, sounds like a very good
    value.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 14, 2003
  19. Re: Another idea (Re: 1 GB Microdrive or 1 GB Compact Flash Card)

    > "George Preddy" <> wrote in message

    > > Maybe a better idea is to get a cheap 256MB card and a 20/40/60/80GB

    > XDrive
    > > (or equivalent) for about the same price as a fast 1GB CF card.

    > Aside from
    > > giving you virtually unlimited CF storage in the field, it will also

    > obviate
    > > the need to transfer images to your PC since it also functions as an
    > > external USB2 hard drive--and also as a card reader, though you'll

    > no longer
    > > need one. Price is about $240 for a 40GB model. If you already

    > have a
    > > 2.5" drive laying around, its around $90 sans hardrive. I got mine

    > here (no
    > > affiliation)...
    > >
    > > http://www.insidecomputer.com/digital_storage_comparison_chart.htm

    > That's an alternative I didn't consider. I have a 256MB card that I
    > picked up with my new SD9 from Cameta. The price of the 40 GB X-Drive
    > is only $ 199.99 at the link you provided, sounds like a very good
    > value.

    I'm using one now, it works very well indeed and is quite compact (about 75%
    the size of an open hand, by a little over an inch deep). I'm glad I didn't
    buy enother CF card (at 40X the cost?). Your SD9 (congrats) will tell you
    that you'll get about 41 full res shots per 256MB card, but it'll be closer
    to 36 if you shoot things with lots of color/detail. Still, it's a roll.
    Transfer rate is said to be 1GB/6 minutes, I haven't verified that yet.
    You'd be doing good to change a roll of film in a minute and half I think.

    Plus you get a USB2 external HD for all your .X3Fs.

    Plus a USB2 CF/SM/SD/MS/MSPro card reader (which you would've had to buy
    anyway, but ironically now don't need).

    George Preddy, Dec 14, 2003
  20. Re: Another idea (Re: 1 GB Microdrive or 1 GB Compact Flash Card)

    > I have a 256MB card that I
    > picked up with my new SD9 from Cameta.

    Cameta (no affiliation, again) is IMO has the best reliability/price ratio
    going, care to share the package details? It's always fun to re-live... :)

    George Preddy, Dec 14, 2003