1 computer 'network' Wireless vs Fishooking cable

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Brian, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    6/19/04

    I need to connect my PC to my cable outlet more safely than it is now. The
    closest cable outlet is accross a short hall from the room were my computer
    is located(AMD 1Ghz, XP Pro, Kerio 4.0, 512 MB, 160GB total disk space). The
    cable is stretched across the hall, covered with a throw rug. In the past
    I've found someone to fishhoo the cable under/around/thru/over/behind
    carpet, molding and walls. Finding someone with the tools and the skill to
    do this well is a problem.

    Using a wireless router seems like the best solution to me. I've located a
    SOYO 802.11g wireless router, and a netgear adapter that I can afford.

    Can someone point to a page of instructions on setting this up. I'm new to
    wireless, but skilled with computers & software. A link on how to's for
    security and firewall recommendations would also be appreciated.

    Thanks for Any Help.

    Brian

    Brian, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Brian