    Thanks in advance.

    Cath

    , Oct 23, 2004

  2. Invisible Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:27:49 -0500, wrote:

    >Going to buy a new printer.
    >I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >my old HP has.

    I had a Canon with 3 separate colour tanks, and they all ran out at roughly the
    same time.

    Invisible, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Re: 1 colour tank v 3 separate tanks

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    >I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >my old HP has.
    >
    >Any pros or cons?

    I think the 3 (or more) separate colour tanks is more common these days.
    My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
    must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
    before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
    me.

    Have you looked at ones with 5 different colours? That seems to be the
    way to go for maximum photorealism.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2004
  4. colinco Guest

    Re: 1 colour tank v 3 separate tanks

    In article Lawrence D'Oliveiro says...
    > My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
    > must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
    > before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
    > me.

    How do you know? Can you see the levels or are you relying on an
    indicator that could tell you anything?

    colinco, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Geronimo Guest

    wrote:

    >Going to buy a new printer.
    >I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >my old HP has.
    >
    >Any pros or cons?
    >
    >Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Cath

    I think for Photo use the R200 is a good buy, at $99us list, can also print
    on CD's

    The UK Jet Tec ink tanks are also a good option as they have 30% more ink,
    yes they are sold in the US..

    Geronimo, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Hmmm Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Lawrence D'Oliveiro says...
    >
    >>My 5-year-old Epson Stylus Color 900 has a single 3-colour tank, and I
    >>must admit I've never encountered the situation where one colour ran out
    >>before the others, so its single-colour-tank design has never bothered
    >>me.
    >>

    > How do you know? Can you see the levels or are you relying on an
    > indicator that could tell you anything?

    I have two printers, one with individual ink cartridges the other
    slightly older with one single color one. As other people have pointed
    out the color ink seems to run out at pretty much the same time. With
    my individual one this is the case also. I now use the printer that has
    one combined color cartridge more as its a hell of a lot cheaper that
    combined cartridge than bunch of individual cartridges each time..

    My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
    and a
    R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))

    Hmmm, Oct 23, 2004
  7. colinco Guest

    Re: 1 colour tank v 3 separate tanks

    In article Hmmm says...
    > My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
    > and a
    > R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))

    Again, not having an Epson I don't know, can you see through the
    cartridge or are you just assuming the inks all ran out at the same time
    because the monitor told you?

    colinco, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Collector_NZ Guest

    said the following on 24/10/2004 08:27:
    > Going to buy a new printer.
    > I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    > my old HP has.
    >
    > Any pros or cons?
    >
    > Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Cath

    The cynic in me says 3 colour tanks plus a black, hmmm thats four tanks
    and now if we get a few extra points profit on each tank we have
    increased our income stream over the use of single carts.
    Most users will run out of all tanks at a very similar time, those of us
    who use inkjet stationary, can run out of the most predominately used
    colour a lot quicker than the others.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E

    Collector_NZ, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Hmmm Guest

    colinco wrote:
    > In article Hmmm says...
    >
    >>My printers are an epson photo 700 (combined color)
    >>and a
    >>R310 (5 color cartridges (ouch!))
    >>

    > Again, not having an Epson I don't know, can you see through the
    > cartridge or are you just assuming the inks all ran out at the same time
    > because the monitor told you?

    I have opened them before yes, so yes the monitor is correct.

    Hmmm, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Geoff Wood Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Going to buy a new printer.
    > I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    > my old HP has.
    >
    > Any pros or cons?

    Yes. You only rteplace (and pay for) what needs replacing.

    > Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].

    Go to any printer repair workshop and check what brand has the biggest
    occurence in the pile of repairs and unrepairables.

    geoff

    Geoff Wood, Nov 2, 2004
  11. Guest

    wrote:

    >Going to buy a new printer.
    >I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >my old HP has.
    >
    >Any pros or cons?
    >
    >Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Cath

    Well I finished up buying said printer.
    So far, not too happy with it.

    The draft mode is very light [print wise] compared to the HP I was
    using.
    At this time, I have not been able to find out if you can keep it in
    black/draft mode or not. I prefer to use this mode as most of my use
    does not require heavy/coloured inks.

    I have problems with the top edge of the paper from where it sits on
    the bottom of printer [upright v flat bed with old HP]. As I don't
    print every day, it may be just from the paper sitting there. If I
    have to remove paper and replace it when I want to use it, that's
    going to be a right pain!

    Hopefully Epson c/s will be able to answer the above tomorrow.

    The attempts at printing photos have so far proven disasterous!
    Rather than mess around, think I will just continue to upload them to
    local supermarket [29c print].

    The black plastic cover is a magnet for dust!

    I appreciate everyones' input! Thank you!

    Oh, I have vague memories of the first colour printer I bought having
    one only colour tank - which ran out of one colour/had to throw
    remainder away.

    Cath

    , Nov 2, 2004
  12. Geronimo Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:06:13 +1300, "Geoff Wood" <-nospam>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Going to buy a new printer.
    >> I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >> my old HP has.
    >>
    >> Any pros or cons?

    >Yes. You only rteplace (and pay for) what needs replacing.
    >
    >> Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].

    >Go to any printer repair workshop and check what brand has the biggest
    >occurence in the pile of repairs and unrepairables.
    >
    >geoff

    Yes its Lexmark..

    Geronimo, Nov 2, 2004
  13. Geoff Wood Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > The draft mode is very light [print wise] compared to the HP I was
    > using.

    You didn't check out a print sample before you bought it ?!!

    > At this time, I have not been able to find out if you can keep it in
    > black/draft mode or not. I prefer to use this mode as most of my use
    > does not require heavy/coloured inks.

    You want black blacks or not ?

    geoff

    Geoff Wood, Nov 2, 2004
  14. Guest

    On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:58:27 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
    <-nospam> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >> The draft mode is very light [print wise] compared to the HP I was
    >> using.

    >You didn't check out a print sample before you bought it ?!!

    LOL.
    I live in the boondocks!
    The only store that sells printers is the smallest Walmart you have
    ever seen.
    They have one model of HP and one of Lexmark.
    And no, they do not have demos available of either....
    No bloody store around here will give demos unless it's already hooked
    up i.e. tv sets or stereos.

    Our vcr crapped out about a year ago. We bought one and returned
    it as it had had to read graphics - on the set itself. We need
    something with on-screen use. There are several other
    brands/models between Walmart & Sears but they are too lazy to take
    them out of the box and hook them up for a demo. So, we shall
    remain vcrless.

    Like most things, I have to buy online :-(
    Exampe: I needed a teapot which no local stores carry.
    It would have cost me far more in gas [approx $12 plus a snack] v the
    small charge for shipping [$3] to buy a teapot online.

    >> At this time, I have not been able to find out if you can keep it in
    >> black/draft mode or not. I prefer to use this mode as most of my use
    >> does not require heavy/coloured inks.

    >You want black blacks or not ?
    >
    >geoff

    Ummm not sure what you mean!
    My main use is for personal use. To save ink, I have always used
    draft mode on the other printers I have owned.
    The HP has always given a good draft black mode and can be set to this
    mode.

    Cath

    , Nov 2, 2004
  15. Guest

    <-nospam> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Going to buy a new printer.
    >> I quite like the idea of one with 3 separate tanks v the one tank that
    >> my old HP has.
    >>
    >> Any pros or cons?

    >Yes. You only rteplace (and pay for) what needs replacing.
    >

    >> Printer in mind is an Epson C86 [probably not avail in NZ].

    >Go to any printer repair workshop and check what brand has the biggest
    >occurence in the pile of repairs and unrepairables.
    >
    >geoff

    Unfortunately I live in the boondocks so to speak.
    I do tend to buy appliances etc directly from the manufacturer.

    I bought an all-in-one copier/printer etc a few years ago from a store
    when I lived in California which was faulted in the first week. To
    have it repaired, I had to send it to Texas - well, I told them to
    stick it and received my money back.

    Like most things here, you have to return them to either a repair
    facility located in another city or another State for repair - at your
    cost.

    Cath

    , Nov 2, 2004