    invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    Cheers,

    Nick R.
    NRENNIE, Aug 5, 2006

  2. NRENNIE

    EMB Guest

    NRENNIE wrote:
    > Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the bottom
    > that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    > invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    IANAL but my understanding of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002 is
    that they are obliged to provide the invoice on paper if the recipient
    doesn't consent to receiving it electronically. I'd say they would be
    on pretty shaky ground trying to charge for meeting their legal obligations.
    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 5, 2006

  3. NRENNIE

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:58:01 +1200, NRENNIE wrote:

    > Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the bottom
    > that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    > invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    It doesn't seem right that a company - ANY company - should charge a fee
    for sending an invoice.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 5, 2006
  4. On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:14:50 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >NRENNIE wrote:
    >> Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the bottom
    >> that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    >> invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    >IANAL but my understanding of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002 is
    >that they are obliged to provide the invoice on paper if the recipient
    >doesn't consent to receiving it electronically. I'd say they would be
    >on pretty shaky ground trying to charge for meeting their legal obligations.

    No - what they're saying is that their prices have increased by
    $1.50/month. However if you decide you don't want a paper invoice then
    you qualify for a $1.50 discount!
    Jason Clinton, Aug 5, 2006
  5. NRENNIE

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:42:49 +1200, Jason Clinton wrote:

    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:14:50 +1200, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>NRENNIE wrote:
    >>> Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the
    >>> bottom that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your
    >>> monthly invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to
    >>> me!

    >>IANAL but my understanding of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002 is
    >>that they are obliged to provide the invoice on paper if the recipient
    >>doesn't consent to receiving it electronically. I'd say they would be
    >>on pretty shaky ground trying to charge for meeting their legal
    >>obligations.

    > No - what they're saying is that their prices have increased by
    > $1.50/month. However if you decide you don't want a paper invoice then
    > you qualify for a $1.50 discount!

    Which is weesel-speek for adding an additional charge for all persons who
    do not agree to no longer receiving an invoice by post.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 5, 2006
  6. On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:58:31 +1200, MaHogany <> wrote in

    > Which is weesel-speek for adding an additional charge for all persons who
    > do not agree to no longer receiving an invoice by post.

    Pardon?

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 5, 2006
  7. NRENNIE

    Vista Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > NRENNIE wrote:
    >> Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the
    >> bottom that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your
    >> monthly invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to
    >> me!

    > IANAL but my understanding of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002 is that
    > they are obliged to provide the invoice on paper if the recipient doesn't
    > consent to receiving it electronically. I'd say they would be on pretty
    > shaky ground trying to charge for meeting their legal obligations.
    > --
    > EMB

    Slingshot don't send you invoices, or email them. You have to download them
    fom the visi bill. Most online companies only email invoices these days,
    some even charge $5 to send an invoice, as they have to do them manally.
    Vista, Aug 5, 2006
  8. NRENNIE

    Vista Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:58:01 +1200, NRENNIE wrote:
    >
    >> Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the
    >> bottom
    >> that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    >> invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    > It doesn't seem right that a company - ANY company - should charge a fee
    > for sending an invoice.
    >

    > Ma Hogany
    >
    > --
    > Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    > A: Throw it harder...

    It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the prics of
    the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay either way.
    Vista, Aug 5, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:58:01 +1200, NRENNIE wrote:
    >
    > > Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the bottom
    > > that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    > > invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    > It doesn't seem right that a company - ANY company - should charge a fee
    > for sending an invoice.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    All companies charge a fee for sending an invoice. It's
    included in the "overheads" or "administration" costs.
    Peter McCallum, Aug 5, 2006
  10. NRENNIE

    Peter Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the prics of
    > the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay either way.

    Yes - the price should include everything.
    The consumer should be able to expect that the declared price for something
    is the entire price, and not subject to arbitrary add ons later. Just like
    the air lines that advertised a certain price for tickets, then added on a
    "fuel surcharge".

    Otherwise, where does it stop? Will we have additional charges for banking
    your payment, wages for the office assistant who opens incoming mail,
    petrol for the manager to get to work, ... ?

    The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are made known
    to the customer up front.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 5, 2006
  11. NRENNIE

    Earl Grey Guest

    MaHogany wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:58:01 +1200, NRENNIE wrote:
    >
    >> Just got my latest Ihug bill by email and saw the "reminder" down the bottom
    >> that from Sept 1 they're charging $1.50 for posting out your monthly
    >> invoice. Doesn't affect me but it sure does seem excessive to me!

    > It doesn't seem right that a company - ANY company - should charge a fee
    > for sending an invoice.
    >

    > Ma Hogany

    Why should the customers who don't need a paper invoice pay higher
    prices to subsidise the inefficiency of the ones who want one for some
    reason ?

    It seems to negate the advantage of electronic communications to require
    the printing processing and transport of paperwork to and from a company
    that specializes in providing that service to pay the bill.
    Earl Grey, Aug 5, 2006
  12. NRENNIE

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Vista wrote:
    > > It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the
    > > prics of the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay
    > > either way.

    > Yes - the price should include everything.
    > The consumer should be able to expect that the declared price for
    > something is the entire price, and not subject to arbitrary add ons
    > later. Just like the air lines that advertised a certain price for
    > tickets, then added on a "fuel surcharge".
    >
    > Otherwise, where does it stop? Will we have additional charges for
    > banking your payment, wages for the office assistant who opens
    > incoming mail, petrol for the manager to get to work, ... ?
    >
    > The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are
    > made known to the customer up front.

    Agreed. Next thing you know we'll have that undesireable American custom of
    compulsory tipping. Why not just charge 15% more for the bloody food and pay
    the staff more FFS? A tip should be a voluntary monetary appreciation of
    exemplary service, not an obligation.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 5, 2006
  13. NRENNIE

    Vista Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >> It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the prics of
    >> the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay either way.

    > Yes - the price should include everything.
    > The consumer should be able to expect that the declared price for
    > something
    > is the entire price, and not subject to arbitrary add ons later. Just
    > like
    > the air lines that advertised a certain price for tickets, then added on a
    > "fuel surcharge".
    >
    > Otherwise, where does it stop? Will we have additional charges for
    > banking
    > your payment, wages for the office assistant who opens incoming mail,
    > petrol for the manager to get to work, ... ?
    >
    > The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are made
    > known
    > to the customer up front.
    >

    > Peter

    They are still providing an invoice, but they aren't mailing them. If a
    customer opts in for a mailed invoice then they are charged a fee to over
    the costs in mailing and handling. I am sure that they would have ammended
    their T&Cs to reflect the change in terms. This is becoming standard
    practice now with many companies. Slingshot neither mails or emails
    invoices, you have to log in to download them. If you buy from most online
    companies, you will only receive an emailed invoice which you print out if
    you want to retain a hardcopy.
    Vista, Aug 5, 2006
  14. NRENNIE

    Vista Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Vista wrote:
    >> > It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the
    >> > prics of the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay
    >> > either way.

    >> Yes - the price should include everything.
    >> The consumer should be able to expect that the declared price for
    >> something is the entire price, and not subject to arbitrary add ons
    >> later. Just like the air lines that advertised a certain price for
    >> tickets, then added on a "fuel surcharge".
    >>
    >> Otherwise, where does it stop? Will we have additional charges for
    >> banking your payment, wages for the office assistant who opens
    >> incoming mail, petrol for the manager to get to work, ... ?
    >>
    >> The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are
    >> made known to the customer up front.

    > Agreed. Next thing you know we'll have that undesireable American custom
    > of compulsory tipping. Why not just charge 15% more for the bloody food
    > and pay the staff more FFS? A tip should be a voluntary monetary
    > appreciation of exemplary service, not an obligation.
    > --
    > Shaun.

    ihug = Australian company who are solely in it for the money. They made all
    these promises on the millions that they were going to invest in New
    Zealands network if the government unbundled their network, than decided to
    sell the company when the goverment did unbundle it.
    Vista, Aug 5, 2006
  15. NRENNIE

    MarkH Guest

    Peter <> wrote in

    > Vista wrote:
    >> It does cost to mail out invoices. WOuld you rather them put the
    >> prics of the product up to cover the cost, as the customer will pay
    >> either way.

    > Yes - the price should include everything.
    > The consumer should be able to expect that the declared price for
    > something is the entire price, and not subject to arbitrary add ons
    > later. Just like the air lines that advertised a certain price for
    > tickets, then added on a "fuel surcharge".
    >
    > Otherwise, where does it stop? Will we have additional charges for
    > banking your payment, wages for the office assistant who opens
    > incoming mail, petrol for the manager to get to work, ... ?
    >
    > The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are made
    > known to the customer up front.

    That's a load of bull. In this instance we are talking about a charge for
    an optional service, one that none of the customers need. Or are you
    suggesting that there are Ihug customers that don't have E-Mail and need
    their invoice posted out to them instead?

    How could a "fuel surcharge" be considered a charge for an optional
    service? This is not the same thing at all. I completely agree that the
    airlines are idiots and are trying to pull a fast one with their various
    charges that make a $99 airfare actually cost over twice the advertised
    amount. But is what Ihug are doing really the same sort of thing?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Aug 5, 2006
  16. NRENNIE

    Peter Guest

    MarkH wrote:
    > Peter <> wrote in
    >> The price should be the price, no add on charges unless these are made
    >> known to the customer up front.

    > That's a load of bull. In this instance we are talking about a charge for
    > an optional service, one that none of the customers need. Or are you
    > suggesting that there are Ihug customers that don't have E-Mail and need
    > their invoice posted out to them instead?

    The OP didn't say this additional charge was optional.
    The point is that retailers can't just add on extra charges.

    Different costs depending on what the customer selects is another matter.
    If someone asks for a physical paper invoice sent out, then it is fair that
    they pay for it.

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 5, 2006
  17. NRENNIE

    Peter Guest

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:
    > Ever heard of 'incentative'?

    No - that is not an English word.
    Did you mean "incentive"?

    Peter
    Peter, Aug 5, 2006
  18. NRENNIE

    Greg Guest

    simple cure, implement a $1.50 payment fee, if it good enough for ihug
    to charge for printing and mailing out a bill then it's good enough for
    the bill payer to charge for writing out the cheque and mailing it or to
    process and setup a electronic payment, its a two way street here.

    Greg

    Greg, Aug 5, 2006
  19. NRENNIE

    Stuart Guest

    "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Why should the customers who don't need a paper invoice pay higher prices
    > to subsidise the inefficiency of the ones who want one for some reason ?

    Sure, I'll go along with that. I expect to see my previously
    inclusive-of-postage bill decrease by $1.50. In fact, I don't think I've
    ever had a bill posted to me -- should I expect $1.50 for all the months I
    didn't get one sent to me? I'm not going to hold my breath.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Aug 6, 2006
  20. NRENNIE

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 09:04:16 +1200, Greg wrote:

    > simple cure, implement a $1.50 payment fee, if it good enough for ihug
    > to charge for printing and mailing out a bill then it's good enough for
    > the bill payer to charge for writing out the cheque and mailing it or to
    > process and setup a electronic payment, its a two way street here.

    Exactly!

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?