    never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.

    Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
    the development team.

    xModem, Dec 1, 2005

  2. xModem

    John Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:25:48 -0500, xModem <> wrote:

    > Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
    >remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
    >have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
    >
    > Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
    >existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
    >extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
    >updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
    >never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
    >
    > Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
    >the development team.

    Totally agree with the above. However,
    >my existing themes and
    >extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available

    was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
    What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I went back
    to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was exacrly
    as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)

    Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?

    Thanks!

    John <><

    John, Dec 1, 2005

  3. John <>< wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:25:48 -0500, xModem <> wrote:
    >
    >> Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
    >> remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
    >> have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
    >>
    >> Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
    >> existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
    >> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
    >> updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
    >> never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
    >>
    >> Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
    >> the development team.

    > Totally agree with the above. However,
    >> my existing themes and
    >> extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available

    > was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
    > What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I went back
    > to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was exacrly
    > as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
    >
    > Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > John <><

    Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
    extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
    extensions, some did not.

    Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:

    http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/

    Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
    Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.

    I'm not familiar with "X".

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  4. xModem

    John Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:21:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    >I'm not familiar with "X".
    >
    >Lee

    Thanks for the first one, Lee!

    When I go to Tools .. Extensions, one of them shows a padlock, and the text
    reads

    x 0.6 3
    Adds a paranoia button to the toolbar

    Basically, it clears "Privacy information"

    John <><

    John, Dec 1, 2005
  5. John <>< wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:21:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not familiar with "X".
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for the first one, Lee!
    >
    > When I go to Tools .. Extensions, one of them shows a padlock, and the text
    > reads
    >
    > x 0.6 3
    > Adds a paranoia button to the toolbar
    >
    > Basically, it clears "Privacy information"
    >
    > John <><

    Its probably unneeded then, since 1.5 has a clear private data function
    built it.

    Tools>>Clear Private Data

    I haven't used it yet, since I really don't have much to clear, but give
    it a try.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2005
  6. xModem

    Ken Kline Guest

    I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
    before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
    well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
    everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
    in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
    Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
    of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
    were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
    version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
    extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
    scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks. Now my Firefox
    1.5 is a lot more managable. Firefox just keeps getting better!!

    Ken Kline, Dec 2, 2005
  7. xModem

    gwtc Guest

    Ken Kline wrote:
    > I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
    > before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
    > well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
    > everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
    > in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
    > Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
    > of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
    > were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
    > version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
    > extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
    > scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks.

    No, the developers/authors of extensions wait until the final release
    is out. This way they can make sure they create a compatible
    extension that works with the final release. Furthermore, during the
    alpha, beta, and release canidate stages, there could be bugs that may
    affect the extension and coding could change during the final stages
    that authors are not aware of. Besides, these developers/authors
    don't know whats going to be in the final stage until it comes out.
    The people are end users who want more out of a program. They don't
    have to make these extensions just for you. They do it for
    themselves. If they share it to the world, then thats a bonus for us.

    gwtc, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Ken Kline wrote:
    > I am not of the computer generation so I goofed when I uninstalled 1.0.7
    > before installing 1.5 by removing the entire C:\Programs\Mozilla folder as
    > well as cleaning out the registry, so I lost my theme, extensions, plug-ins,
    > everything. In fact, Firefox would not open. So I went to "scanreg/restore"
    > in Win98 SE and reinstalled a registry from a few days earlier. That got
    > Firefox working again, although I had to reinstall all my extensions, some
    > of which, the genuinally great extensions, would not install because they
    > were for earlier versions of Firefox. They ought not to release a new final
    > version of Firefox, like 1.5 until compatible versions of the best
    > extensions are available. In a way, it was not terrible to start from
    > scratch because I had a few too many extensions + bookmarks. Now my Firefox
    > 1.5 is a lot more managable. Firefox just keeps getting better!!
    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >> John <>< wrote:

    > but I

    > themes and

    > available, and

    > previously

    >>> Totally agree with the above. However,
    >>> was not good, as far as I am cincerned.
    >>> What I mean is: It was not good not to have two of my extensions, so I

    > went back
    >>> to 1.07 (also flawless: I merely re-installed 1.07, and everything was

    > exacrly
    >>> as it was beforew I installed 1.5.)
    >>>
    >>> Any idea when "Cookie Culler" and "X" will be available for 1.5?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >>> John <><

    >> Updating of extensions is the responsibility of the author of the
    >> extension. Many tested the beta and RC releases and updsted their
    >> extensions, some did not.
    >>
    >> Here is what Cookie Culler's author has to say:
    >>
    >> http://cookieculler.mozdev.org/
    >>
    >> Should be soon. Cookie Culler 1.2.0 works when bumped with Nightly
    >> Tester Tools, so try 1.3.0.
    >>
    >> I'm not familiar with "X".
    >>
    >> Lee

    Extensions are 3rd party additions to the application. It is not the
    responsibility of the application developers to wait for extension
    updates, rather, it is the responsibility of the extension writers to
    test their extensions in the testing builds to make sure the extensions
    work, and update them as needed.

    Mozilla provides nightly testing builds. They published beta one and
    two versions, and three release candidates for testing purposes. If
    extensions writers do not test and update their extensions when given
    such an opportunity, how is it the developers fault?

    Most extensions are written by people who develop them for their own
    use. People get busy and can't always maintain them. There are
    literally hundreds of them. Your vital, must have, extension could
    easily be one I've never even heard of or wanted, and vice versa.

    If the developers were to wait for everyones vital extensions to be
    updated, there would never be an update, and we would still be using
    Phoenix 0.2, my first installed version of the browser currently known
    as Firefox.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2005
  9. xModem

    Z Guest

    xModem wrote:
    > Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing 1.0.7. I
    > remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old version first, but I
    > have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
    >
    > Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my non-standard
    > existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my existing themes and
    > extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were not available, and
    > updating those that were. It even found some themes that somehow previously
    > never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon installation.
    >
    > Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My hat's off to
    > the development team.

    I also dared to install 1.5 w.o removing 1.0.x and all seems fine.
    Kudos to the development team. They seem to have gotten it right this time.

    Z, Dec 3, 2005
  10. xModem

    Demosthenes Guest

    In article <0P9kf.230$>
    Z <> wrote:

    > xModem wrote:
    > > Downloaded 1.5 and decided to try installing w/o removing

    1.0.7. I
    > > remember earlier advice was always to uninstall the old

    version first, but I
    > > have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.
    > >
    > > Installation went fine. For starters, it recognizing my

    non-standard
    > > existing install folder. It then went on to analyzed my

    existing themes and
    > > extensions, disabling those for which newer versions were

    not available, and
    > > updating those that were. It even found some themes that

    somehow previously
    > > never showed up - ones that I remember gave me grief upon

    installation.

    > > Up and running in no time, with all my settings intact. My

    hat's off to
    > > the development team.

    > I also dared to install 1.5 w.o removing 1.0.x and all seems

    fine.
    > Kudos to the development team. They seem to have gotten it

    right this time.

    I ran into one problem - my old setup had web software
    installation disabled (I turned it on only when I was
    deliberately installing something, usually RoboForm).

    FireFox 1.5 doesn't allow you to turn software installation off
    or on, but it DOES carry the setting forward.

    That meant I couldn't install anything in FireFox 1.5 until I
    found an about: config tweak on usenent.

    Everything else seems to work, though.

    Demosthenes, Dec 4, 2005