? 1.18G data limit with Vodafone Broadband.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    I've bought and am trying to down load the western europe map for my
    tomtom gps, but server timesout after 1.18G (out of 1.7G) each time. I now
    have four files each exactly 1.18G in size. Most likely its a poblem at
    the european end but just thought I would ask the masses to check this
    isn't some sneaky vodafone antipirate scheme... (tried with firewall and
    antivirus turned off too - though still behind the hardware firewall of
    the router)

    ?thoughts

    Damos

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, Nov 3, 2009

  2. Damos

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:25:14 +1300
    Damos <> wrote:

    > I've bought and am trying to down load the western europe map for my
    > tomtom gps, but server timesout after 1.18G (out of 1.7G) each time.
    > I now have four files each exactly 1.18G in size. Most likely its a
    > poblem at the european end but just thought I would ask the masses to
    > check this isn't some sneaky vodafone antipirate scheme... (tried
    > with firewall and antivirus turned off too - though still behind the
    > hardware firewall of the router)
    >

    > ?thoughts
    >

    > Damos

    Hi
    What program are you using to download, firefox, IE, other? Maybe you
    could try something that uses wget or if they have ftp access use a ftp
    client?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.37-0.1-default

    Malcolm, Nov 3, 2009

  3. In message <>,
    Malcolm wrote:

    > What program are you using to download, firefox, IE, other? Maybe you
    > could try something that uses wget or if they have ftp access use a ftp
    > client?

    Modern HTTP and FTP clients both support resuming interrupted downloads. The
    servers should too, unless they’re incredibly ancient.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2009
  4. Damos

    Damos Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:51:35 +1300, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:25:14 +1300
    > Damos <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've bought and am trying to down load the western europe map for my
    >> tomtom gps, but server timesout after 1.18G (out of 1.7G) each time.
    >> I now have four files each exactly 1.18G in size. Most likely its a
    >> poblem at the european end but just thought I would ask the masses to
    >> check this isn't some sneaky vodafone antipirate scheme... (tried
    >> with firewall and antivirus turned off too - though still behind the
    >> hardware firewall of the router)
    >>

    >> ?thoughts
    >>

    >> Damos
    >>

    > Hi
    > What program are you using to download, firefox, IE, other? Maybe you
    > could try something that uses wget or if they have ftp access use a ftp
    > client?

    Thanks for the reply.

    I;m using the desktop tomtom "home: client which does all the syncing and
    from which I bought the map.
    It supposidly allows restarting of interupted downloads but I have been
    upable to restart any of the 4 partial downloads.
    The server just times out which is the original problem.

    I think I'll wait a few days then try again.

    Damos

    Damos, Nov 3, 2009