    current version and download the whole f#$king thing again?
    All 4.7 Meg. - Tell me I'm missing something. Some of us are on
    dial-up.

    west488, Jun 11, 2005

  2. west488

    Kouros Guest

    west488 wrote:
    > So if you want the 1.04 Security Update, you have to uninstall your
    > current version and download the whole f#$king thing again?
    > All 4.7 Meg. - Tell me I'm missing something. Some of us are on
    > dial-up.

    Do you have to download the whole thing?

    I spend half my life doing stuff I don't remember, but I really don't
    recall having to download the whole thing again.

    K.

    Kouros, Jun 11, 2005

  3. west488

    Doug G Guest

    Kouros wrote:
    > west488 wrote:
    >> So if you want the 1.04 Security Update, you have to uninstall your
    >> current version and download the whole f#$king thing again?
    >> All 4.7 Meg. - Tell me I'm missing something. Some of us are on
    >> dial-up.
    >>

    > Do you have to download the whole thing?
    >
    > I spend half my life doing stuff I don't remember, but I really don't
    > recall having to download the whole thing again.
    >
    > K.

    Download, uninstall old, reboot, install new is the recommended procedure.

    Some people install the new over the old and have no problems, others
    have problems after doing the same.

    Doug G, Jun 11, 2005
  4. west488

    Kouros Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Kouros wrote:
    >
    >> west488 wrote:
    >>
    >>> So if you want the 1.04 Security Update, you have to uninstall your
    >>> current version and download the whole f#$king thing again?
    >>> All 4.7 Meg. - Tell me I'm missing something. Some of us are on
    >>> dial-up.
    >>>

    >> Do you have to download the whole thing?
    >>
    >> I spend half my life doing stuff I don't remember, but I really don't
    >> recall having to download the whole thing again.
    >>
    >> K.

    > Download, uninstall old, reboot, install new is the recommended procedure.
    >
    > Some people install the new over the old and have no problems, others
    > have problems after doing the same.

    Ah, that might explain why I am hitting problems after toying with Deer
    Park Alpha. Thanks.

    Kouros, Jun 11, 2005
  5. west488

    west488 Guest

    I like Firefox but with the exception of a few extentions
    the Avant browser offers everything I want (tabbed browsing
    ad blocker, etc.) .

    Too much hassle downloading the whole 4.7 meg Firefox
    every time there is a security update. What happened to patches?

    west488, Jun 11, 2005
  6. west488 wrote:
    > Too much hassle downloading the whole 4.7 meg Firefox
    > every time there is a security update. What happened to patches?

    That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    if you're south of the equator).

    --
    Ryukage

    Damian Dollahite, Jun 11, 2005
  7. west488

    west488 Guest

    Damian Dollahite wrote:
    > west488 wrote:
    > > Too much hassle downloading the whole 4.7 meg Firefox
    > > every time there is a security update. What happened to patches?
    > >

    > That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    > if you're south of the equator).
    >
    > --
    > Ryukage

    Don't know what the security problem is with Firefox
    but went ahead and deleted it. Both Maxthon and Avant
    browsers should make any Firefox fan happy until
    Firefox 1.1 is available.

    Now that I'm using Avant again, I'm not sure why I
    bothered switching to Firefox. Maxthon is a 1,935 KB
    download and has a few more options than Avant.

    west488, Jun 12, 2005
  8. west488

    Lazlo Toth Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:01:25 -0700, west488 wrote:
    > Damian Dollahite wrote:
    >> west488 wrote:
    >> > Too much hassle downloading the whole 4.7 meg Firefox every time there
    >> > is a security update. What happened to patches?
    >> >

    >> That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    >> if you're south of the equator).

    > Don't know what the security problem is with Firefox but went ahead and
    > deleted it. Both Maxthon and Avant browsers should make any Firefox fan
    > happy until Firefox 1.1 is available.

    No, because the underlying security issues with IE still exist with
    Maxthon and Avant, and because my primary OS is FreeBSD and does not run
    any MS software.

    > Now that I'm using Avant again, I'm not sure why I bothered switching to
    > Firefox. Maxthon is a 1,935 KB download and has a few more options than
    > Avant.

    Because it uses IE, which is much more of a security risk than Firefox.
    Once I settled on another OS I liked (FreeBSD), I haven't had any desire
    to boot Windows at all, except to play a game. It's considerably easier to
    admin a home network while not having to worry about the myriad issues
    that plague Windows machines.

    - Lazlo

    Lazlo Toth, Jun 12, 2005
  9. west488

    west488 Guest

    Lazlo Toth wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:01:25 -0700, west488 wrote:
    > > Damian Dollahite wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    > >> if you're south of the equator).

    > > Don't know what the security problem is with Firefox but went ahead and
    > > deleted it. Both Maxthon and Avant browsers should make any Firefox fan
    > > happy until Firefox 1.1 is available.

    > No, because the underlying security issues with IE still exist with
    > Maxthon and Avant, and because my primary OS is FreeBSD and does not run
    > any MS software.
    >
    > > Now that I'm using Avant again, I'm not sure why I bothered switching to
    > > Firefox. Maxthon is a 1,935 KB download and has a few more options than
    > > Avant.

    > Because it uses IE, which is much more of a security risk than Firefox.
    > Once I settled on another OS I liked (FreeBSD), I haven't had any desire
    > to boot Windows at all, except to play a game. It's considerably easier to
    > admin a home network while not having to worry about the myriad issues
    > that plague Windows machines.
    >
    > - Lazlo

    Window users: Download Maxthon or Avant. Disable Active X.
    Download Spyware Blaster. Install a decent Virus Protection program.
    10 years online and I've never had a problem. Happy Browsing.

    No more annoying delay waiting for Firefox to "boot up".
    No more watching your computer bog down from Firefox and
    Thunderbird using up all your RAM.

    Firefox is an excellent browser. For myself, not worth downloading
    all 4.7meg everytime there is a seurity update.

    west488, Jun 13, 2005
  10. Let the record show that Damian Dollahite <> wrote back on
    Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0500 in alt.fan.mozilla :
    >west488 wrote:
    >> Too much hassle downloading the whole 4.7 meg Firefox
    >> every time there is a security update. What happened to patches?
    >>

    >That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    >if you're south of the equator).

    Is that next summer, the "summer of oh-five", or the "summer of ought
    six?"

    tschus
    pyotr

    --
    pyotr filipivich
    TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.

    pyotr filipivich, Jun 13, 2005
  11. pyotr filipivich wrote:
    > Let the record show that Damian Dollahite <> wrote back on
    > Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:13:40 -0500 in alt.fan.mozilla :
    >
    >>west488 wrote:
    >>

    >>That's coming in Firefox 1.1, due out sometime next summer (or winter,
    >>if you're south of the equator).

    > Is that next summer, the "summer of oh-five", or the "summer of ought
    > six?"
    >
    > tschus
    > pyotr

    Oh-five. They've already started releasing testing versions, under the
    codename "Deer Park" (to avoid the problem they had with people thinking
    prerelease versions of Fx 1.0 were the finished product).

    BTW, everyone, the security issue in Fx 1.0.3 isn't that big of a deal,
    if you really don't want to update. I don't totally understand it, but
    I think it has something to do with the ability to use a javascript URL
    as the icon for an extension, thus bypassing script security
    restrictions. There aren't any known exploits of it, unlike most of the
    6-year old vulnerabilities in IE, and as long as you're careful about
    what extensions you install you should be fine.

    Also, 1.0.4 has apparently somehow re-introduced a security hole that
    was fixed in 1.0.2. The new issue is that a site in one window can
    inject javascript into a frame in another window. This also is not a
    big deal, just don't have multiple windows open when logging into your
    accounts. The NoScript extension will also protect you from this as
    long as you don't whitelist any dodgy sites.

    So anyway, if you don't want to download the update, just keep using
    1.0.3 until 1.1 comes out. Though personally I don't find 5 megs to be
    a big deal even on my 56k connection.

    --
    Ryukage

    Damian Dollahite, Jun 16, 2005
  12. On 2005-06-15, Damian Dollahite <> wrote:

    > 1.0.4 has apparently somehow re-introduced a security hole that
    > was fixed in 1.0.2. The new issue is that a site in one window can
    > inject javascript into a frame in another window. This also is not a
    > big deal, just don't have multiple windows open when logging into your
    > accounts. The NoScript extension will also protect you from this as
    > long as you don't whitelist any dodgy sites.

    If you use new tabs to open sites instead of new windows, FF-1.0.4 will
    not be subject to this vulnrability.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jun 17, 2005
  13. west488

    Echy Guest

    west488 wrote:

    > Lazlo Toth wrote:

    >>>Don't know what the security problem is with Firefox but went ahead and
    >>>deleted it. Both Maxthon and Avant browsers should make any Firefox fan
    >>>happy until Firefox 1.1 is available.

    >>No, because the underlying security issues with IE still exist with
    >>Maxthon and Avant, and because my primary OS is FreeBSD and does not run
    >>any MS software.
    >>

    >>>Now that I'm using Avant again, I'm not sure why I bothered switching to
    >>>Firefox. Maxthon is a 1,935 KB download and has a few more options than
    >>>Avant.

    >>Because it uses IE, which is much more of a security risk than Firefox.
    >>Once I settled on another OS I liked (FreeBSD), I haven't had any desire
    >>to boot Windows at all, except to play a game. It's considerably easier to
    >>admin a home network while not having to worry about the myriad issues
    >>that plague Windows machines.
    >>
    >>- Lazlo

    > Window users: Download Maxthon or Avant. Disable Active X.
    > Download Spyware Blaster. Install a decent Virus Protection program.
    > 10 years online and I've never had a problem. Happy Browsing.
    >
    > No more annoying delay waiting for Firefox to "boot up".
    > No more watching your computer bog down from Firefox and
    > Thunderbird using up all your RAM.
    >
    > Firefox is an excellent browser. For myself, not worth downloading
    > all 4.7meg everytime there is a seurity update.

    Curious as to why you are so hung up on " downloading all 4.7meg
    everytime there is a seurity update". It's 4point7 not 47. I'm also on
    dial-up & it isn't such a big deal IMO. Just my opinion though.

    --
    Echy

    Echy, Jun 18, 2005
  14. west488

    west488 Guest

    Echy wrote:
    > west488 wrote:
    > >
    > > Lazlo Toth wrote:

    > >>No, because the underlying security issues with IE still exist with
    > >>Maxthon and Avant, and because my primary OS is FreeBSD and does not run
    > >>any MS software.

    > >>Because it uses IE, which is much more of a security risk than Firefox.
    > >>Once I settled on another OS I liked (FreeBSD), I haven't had any desire
    > >>to boot Windows at all, except to play a game. It's considerably easier to
    > >>admin a home network while not having to worry about the myriad issues
    > >>that plague Windows machines.
    > >>
    > >>- Lazlo

    > > Window users: Download Maxthon or Avant. Disable Active X.
    > > Download Spyware Blaster. Install a decent Virus Protection program.
    > > 10 years online and I've never had a problem. Happy Browsing.
    > >
    > > No more annoying delay waiting for Firefox to "boot up".
    > > No more watching your computer bog down from Firefox and
    > > Thunderbird using up all your RAM.
    > >
    > > Firefox is an excellent browser. For myself, not worth downloading
    > > all 4.7meg everytime there is a seurity update.
    > >

    > Curious as to why you are so hung up on " downloading all 4.7meg
    > everytime there is a seurity update". It's 4point7 not 47. I'm also on
    > dial-up & it isn't such a big deal IMO. Just my opinion though.
    >
    > --
    > Echy

    Not that big of deal, but I already have Avant and Maxthon.
    The differences between the 3 browsers is so minimal its not
    worth the bother. If I hear of some big improvements or features
    added to Firefox in the future, I'm sure I'll download it.

    west488, Jun 19, 2005
  15. west488

    west488 Guest

    west488 wrote:
    > Echy wrote:
    > > west488 wrote:

    > > > Window users: Download Maxthon or Avant. Disable Active X.
    > > > Download Spyware Blaster. Install a decent Virus Protection program.
    > > > 10 years online and I've never had a problem. Happy Browsing.
    > > >
    > > > No more annoying delay waiting for Firefox to "boot up".
    > > > No more watching your computer bog down from Firefox and
    > > > Thunderbird using up all your RAM.
    > > >
    > > > Firefox is an excellent browser. For myself, not worth downloading
    > > > all 4.7meg everytime there is a seurity update.
    > > >

    > > Curious as to why you are so hung up on " downloading all 4.7meg
    > > everytime there is a seurity update". It's 4point7 not 47. I'm also on
    > > dial-up & it isn't such a big deal IMO. Just my opinion though.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Echy

    > Not that big of deal, but I already have Avant and Maxthon.
    > The differences between the 3 browsers is so minimal its not
    > worth the bother. If I hear of some big improvements or features
    > added to Firefox in the future, I'm sure I'll download it.

    The following was posted to CNET forums 12/14/04

    The Avant Browser is more secure than the Firefox Browser!!!

    It may surprise you to learn that at the present time, the Avant
    Browser is actually more secure than the Firefox Browser according to
    www.secunia.com, a website which verifies the security vulnerability of
    various products including web browsers. According to their latest
    reports on Firefox and Avant, Firefox has 4 vulnerabilities with one
    vulnerability having a partial fix. Avant, by comparison, only has one
    vulnerability. However, their is a fix for that one Avant vulnerability
    by upgrading to a more recent version of Java. After doing this
    upgrade, I ran Avant through the secunia.com security tests and it
    passed all of them with flying colors. It also passed all security
    tests on another website. With this upgrade, Avant has no security
    vulnerabilities according to these aforementioned security check
    websites.
    I tried Firefox and really liked the features it afforded via the
    extensions. However, without going into a lot detail about it, there
    were also some hassles associated with the use of Firefox including the
    inability to reach certain websites and an "anything but easy" initial
    plugin configuration in certain respects. Once I passed these initial
    challenges, Firefox was convenient to use as long as a few certain
    websites were avoided. Don't let me give you the wrong impression, I
    would give Firefox a very high score as a browser. It is very
    unfortunate that there are proprietary factors which come into play
    where browsers, like so many other computer related items, are
    concerned.
    Avant, however, was easy to use right from the very start. Easily
    configurable, Avant offers some excellent customizable options and some
    very attractive skins. In all respects including aesthetics, security
    and functionality, I highly recommend the Avant Browser and give high
    praise to it's creator, Anderson Che.

    west488, Jun 19, 2005