    call cost was A$0.23 instead of my normal cost to the UK of A$0.02 i.e
    it cost me ten times as much as a normal call.

    Once bitten twice shy they say.

    floppyl, Aug 1, 2006

  2. "floppyl" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am from Australia and enjoy reading the postings to this group.
    >
    > Could someone please explain to me what 0870 numbers in the UK are. My
    > VSP describes them as "Shared Cost" shared by whom? I innocently rang a
    > 0870 number to call friends staying at a Hotel in Chester and my VOIP
    > call cost was A$0.23 instead of my normal cost to the UK of A$0.02 i.e
    > it cost me ten times as much as a normal call.
    >
    > Once bitten twice shy they say.

    0870 is, as I understood it, nearly-national cost non-geographic. So it's
    like a long distance call. In actual fact it's more expensive. It's like a
    not-quite-premium-rate number. Many businesses use these numbers,
    annoyingly, for incoming calls. They have the 0870 number forwarding through
    to their regular geographic number. BT users over here pay something like
    10pence/minute to call them. The companies using these numbers receive
    commisions between about 1.5 - 2.5p/minute on incoming calls.
    0845 would be much better and more customer friendly.
    HTH

    Carl Farrington, Aug 2, 2006

  3. floppyl

    floppyl Guest

    Thanks for the info Carl I suspected the company may get a commsion. At
    10P a minute you sure wouldn't call the company unless you had to. Our
    Telco (Tel$tra) hasn't got onto that lurk yet but give them time.

    There is no doubt that VOIP is the way to go, here we can get untimed
    VOIP calls anywhere in the country for $0.10 (4.5P) a call and you
    can't do much better than that.

    floppyl, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh Carl Farrington:
    > "floppyl" <> wrote in message
    >> I am from Australia and enjoy reading the postings to this group.
    >>
    >> Could someone please explain to me what 0870 numbers in the UK are.
    >> My VSP describes them as "Shared Cost" shared by whom? I innocently
    >> rang a 0870 number to call friends staying at a Hotel in Chester and
    >> my VOIP call cost was A$0.23 instead of my normal cost to the UK of
    >> A$0.02 i.e it cost me ten times as much as a normal call.
    >>
    >> Once bitten twice shy they say.

    > 0870 is, as I understood it, nearly-national cost non-geographic. So
    > it's like a long distance call. In actual fact it's more expensive.
    > It's like a not-quite-premium-rate number. Many businesses use these
    > numbers, annoyingly, for incoming calls. They have the 0870 number
    > forwarding through to their regular geographic number. BT users over
    > here pay something like 10pence/minute to call them. The companies
    > using these numbers receive commisions between about 1.5 -
    > 2.5p/minute on incoming calls. 0845 would be much better and more
    > customer friendly.
    > HTH

    0845 numbers are still a rip-off, just slightly less a rip-off as 0870.

    01 or 02 would be much better and more customer friendly.

    www.saynoto0870.com

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Aug 2, 2006
  5. floppyl

    paul123 Guest

    floppyl wrote:
    [snipped]
    > There is no doubt that VOIP is the way to go, here we can get untimed
    > VOIP calls anywhere in the country for $0.10 (4.5P) a call and you
    > can't do much better than that.

    $0.10 (4.5P) for a call sounds good, but what if you could get the call
    for nowt?

    check out rates at voipdiscount.com, voipcheap.com, voipstunt.com,
    webcalldirect.com, internetcalls.com and freecalls.com. Currently all
    are free to Oz, though you do have to pay €10 every 120days for
    "credit". 2 possible problems - 1) their free calls ARE limited to 300
    minutes per week and 2) being based in Europe, you might find some
    latency on calls (I often call a friend in Tas and there is sometimes a
    bit of lag).

    All these companies are part of the Betamax/Finarea family

    paul123, Aug 2, 2006
  6. floppyl

    andy Guest

    paul123 wrote:
    > floppyl wrote:
    > [snipped]
    > > There is no doubt that VOIP is the way to go, here we can get untimed
    > > VOIP calls anywhere in the country for $0.10 (4.5P) a call and you
    > > can't do much better than that.

    > $0.10 (4.5P) for a call sounds good, but what if you could get the call
    > for nowt?
    >
    > check out rates at voipdiscount.com, voipcheap.com, voipstunt.com,
    > webcalldirect.com, internetcalls.com and freecalls.com. Currently all
    > are free to Oz, though you do have to pay €10 every 120days for
    > "credit". 2 possible problems - 1) their free calls ARE limited to 300
    > minutes per week and 2) being based in Europe, you might find some
    > latency on calls (I often call a friend in Tas and there is sometimes a
    > bit of lag).
    >
    > All these companies are part of the Betamax/Finarea family

    There are several Australian ones like the OP mentions, with per call
    connection fees including for international calls eg Astratel for 19c
    and prepaid in small blocks of credit. Finarea would be good for high
    use or where chargeable (eg UK 0870 or mobiles) calls are also made to
    soak up the credit effectively making the other calls free, but for
    very occasional use I'm tempted by one or two Oz ones as well, perhaps
    with Voxalot callback and my mobile while roaming

    andy, Aug 2, 2006
  7. floppyl

    JPG Guest

    On 1 Aug 2006 14:26:57 -0700, "floppyl" <> wrote:

    >I am from Australia and enjoy reading the postings to this group.
    >
    >Could someone please explain to me what 0870 numbers in the UK are. My
    >VSP describes them as "Shared Cost" shared by whom? I innocently rang a
    >0870 number to call friends staying at a Hotel in Chester and my VOIP
    >call cost was A$0.23 instead of my normal cost to the UK of A$0.02 i.e
    >it cost me ten times as much as a normal call.
    >
    >Once bitten twice shy they say.

    You could find the non-geographic alternative at:

    www.saynoto0870.co.uk

    Works for me.

    JPG, Aug 2, 2006