    fair enough, I guess. Trying to avoid paying money isn't quite the same
    thing as trying to stop others from competing on an equal basis.

    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/C1404CD6FAF48F32CC25760800007FA1>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 4, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    Re: The Final Chapter

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:h58uh2$9ud$...
    > Anybody remember the brouhaha over the 0867-numbers that Telecom
    > brought in
    > for dialup lines a decade ago? The whole point of the scheme was so
    > Telecom
    > could weasel out of its own termination agreements that it forced on
    > other
    > telcos, in the expectation that the lion's share of connection fees
    > would be
    > flowing its way.
    >
    > It didn't happen, because of the Internet. So Telecom brought in
    > this
    > exception to the termination agreements. Then the Commerce
    > Commission
    > brought a prosecution, on the grounds that the scheme was meant to
    > handicap
    > competitors.
    >
    > Now that case has finally been thrown out by the Court of Appeal.
    > Probably
    > fair enough, I guess. Trying to avoid paying money isn't quite the
    > same
    > thing as trying to stop others from competing on an equal basis.
    >
    > <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/C1404CD6FAF48F32CC25760800007FA1>

    Those were the days!

    ZFree, I4Free, etc etc.

    I think I had accounts with three of them (can't remember who the
    third was), as often you wouldn't be able to get a connection to one
    or more (busy tones on the phone lines).

    Downloading Linux ISOs was fun - I seem to remember it taking me about
    three weeks to get a set of Debian disks using FTP once, and that was
    running overnight every night, and through the day while we were at
    work (probably about 16 hours a day for 20 days ~ 300 hours!!)

    I don't recall very clearly, but I think average download speeds were
    something like 5kb / sec, so 300 hours would get around (if my maths
    are right, and being quite rough):

    ~ 5 kb x 60 x 60 x 300
    ~ 5,400,000 KB
    ~ 5400 MB
    ~ 5.4 GB

    I think I must have downloaded the whole set of eight or nine CDs for
    some reason!

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min probably much longer).
    Alan, Aug 4, 2009