0800 numbers no longer work in Skype - WTF?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. Anyone else finding this? :-(

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 27, 2009

  2. Collector¤NZ <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > Anyone else finding this? :-(
    > > A litke bit more detail would help

    An example would be <http://www.wxc.co.nz/about/contact.shtml>, but
    every single 0800 number I've tried gets a recorded message saying the
    number doesn't exist. It used to work fine.
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 28, 2009

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mutlley Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> > Anyone else finding this? :-(
    >> > A litke bit more detail would help

    >An example would be <http://www.wxc.co.nz/about/contact.shtml>, but
    >every single 0800 number I've tried gets a recorded message saying the
    >number doesn't exist. It used to work fine.

    You sure that they used to work?? How did you dial them +64800xxxxxxx
    or 0800xxxxxxx?? I would expect that later not to work as Skype is
    not NZ based..
    Mutlley, Jan 28, 2009
  4. Mutlley <> wrote:

    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    > >Collector•NZ <> wrote:

    > >An example would be <http://www.wxc.co.nz/about/contact.shtml>, but
    > >every single 0800 number I've tried gets a recorded message saying the
    > >number doesn't exist. It used to work fine.

    > You sure that they used to work?? How did you dial them +64800xxxxxxx
    > or 0800xxxxxxx?? I would expect that later not to work as Skype is
    > not NZ based..

    Dude - Skype has NZ numbers for SkypeIn. I have one. I don't even have a
    real phone anymore - Skype is all I use. BTW - you use 0800 in Skype as
    elsewhere, cause the 0 is the 'area code', just like 7 (the preceding
    zero is dropped with Skype as with international calls) is the area code
    for the BOP.

    BTW - this matters not, cause as I've said - myself and others have been
    using SkypeOut to make NZ 0800 calls for ages. It existed and worked.
    Now it's broken for me at least. Could someone else using SkypeOut
    please try an 0800 number?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 28, 2009
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Mutlley Guest

    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >Mutlley <> wrote:
    >
    >> (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    >> >An example would be <http://www.wxc.co.nz/about/contact.shtml>, but
    >> >every single 0800 number I've tried gets a recorded message saying the
    >> >number doesn't exist. It used to work fine.

    >> You sure that they used to work?? How did you dial them +64800xxxxxxx
    >> or 0800xxxxxxx?? I would expect that later not to work as Skype is
    >> not NZ based..

    >Dude - Skype has NZ numbers for SkypeIn. I have one. I don't even have a
    >real phone anymore - Skype is all I use. BTW - you use 0800 in Skype as
    >elsewhere, cause the 0 is the 'area code', just like 7 (the preceding
    >zero is dropped with Skype as with international calls) is the area code
    >for the BOP.
    >
    >BTW - this matters not, cause as I've said - myself and others have been
    >using SkypeOut to make NZ 0800 calls for ages. It existed and worked.
    >Now it's broken for me at least. Could someone else using SkypeOut
    >please try an 0800 number?
    >
    >TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I have Skype out and when I called say 0800 000 0000 the called number
    on the screen says +64800 000 0000 . It rings then I get the Telecom
    NZ message that the number does no exist.. same to another 800 number
    I tried..

    PS 0 is not the area code 800 is..
    Mutlley, Jan 29, 2009
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    EMB Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
    >
    >> Mutlley <> wrote:

    >>> You sure that they used to work?? How did you dial them +64800xxxxxxx
    >>> or 0800xxxxxxx?? I would expect that later not to work as Skype is
    >>> not NZ based..

    >> Dude - Skype has NZ numbers for SkypeIn. I have one. I don't even have a
    >> real phone anymore - Skype is all I use. BTW - you use 0800 in Skype as
    >> elsewhere, cause the 0 is the 'area code', just like 7 (the preceding
    >> zero is dropped with Skype as with international calls) is the area code
    >> for the BOP.
    >>
    >> BTW - this matters not, cause as I've said - myself and others have been
    >> using SkypeOut to make NZ 0800 calls for ages. It existed and worked.
    >> Now it's broken for me at least. Could someone else using SkypeOut
    >> please try an 0800 number?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > I have Skype out and when I called say 0800 000 0000 the called number
    > on the screen says +64800 000 0000 . It rings then I get the Telecom
    > NZ message that the number does no exist.. same to another 800 number
    > I tried..
    >
    > PS 0 is not the area code 800 is..

    I would guess that Telecom have blocked Skype from connecting to 0800
    numbers as they are breaching the NZ laws regarding number allocations
    with the way they do their geographical allocations. Similar things
    have recently happened with other VOIP providers too.
    EMB, Jan 29, 2009
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > I would guess that Telecom have blocked Skype from connecting to 0800
    > numbers as they are breaching the NZ laws regarding number allocations
    > with the way they do their geographical allocations. Similar things
    > have recently happened with other VOIP providers too.

    Last I got a call from skype out it had invalid caller ID, so perhaps
    that is what is causing it to be blocked?
    Richard, Jan 29, 2009
  8. EMB <> wrote:

    > Mutlley wrote:
    > > (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > >> Dude - Skype has NZ numbers for SkypeIn. I have one. I don't even have a
    > >> real phone anymore - Skype is all I use. BTW - you use 0800 in Skype as
    > >> elsewhere, cause the 0 is the 'area code', just like 7 (the preceding
    > >> zero is dropped with Skype as with international calls) is the area code
    > >> for the BOP.
    > >>
    > >> BTW - this matters not, cause as I've said - myself and others have been
    > >> using SkypeOut to make NZ 0800 calls for ages. It existed and worked.
    > >> Now it's broken for me at least. Could someone else using SkypeOut
    > >> please try an 0800 number?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >> Jamie Kahn Genet

    > > I have Skype out and when I called say 0800 000 0000 the called number
    > > on the screen says +64800 000 0000 . It rings then I get the Telecom
    > > NZ message that the number does no exist.. same to another 800 number
    > > I tried..
    > >
    > > PS 0 is not the area code 800 is..

    > I would guess that Telecom have blocked Skype from connecting to 0800
    > numbers as they are breaching the NZ laws regarding number allocations
    > with the way they do their geographical allocations. Similar things
    > have recently happened with other VOIP providers too.

    Oh that's just fantastic. Skype IS my phone nowadays :-(
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 29, 2009
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Richard Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Oh that's just fantastic. Skype IS my phone nowadays :-(

    And since its not even your number, you cant port it anywhere else...

    Why did you opt for a closed platform like skype over 2talk, italk or
    one of the many other sip or iax platforms available?
    Richard, Jan 30, 2009
  10. Richard <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >

    > > Oh that's just fantastic. Skype IS my phone nowadays :-(

    > And since its not even your number, you cant port it anywhere else...

    I don't care about that. YMMV of course.

    > Why did you opt for a closed platform like skype over 2talk, italk or
    > one of the many other sip or iax platforms available?

    Because unlike the above I've found Skype Just Worksâ„¢ on virtually every
    machine, regardless of the network :)
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 30, 2009