03 numbers

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 13, 2007.

  1. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 13, 2007

  2. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    pugwash Guest

    I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    pugwash, Mar 13, 2007

  3. pugwash wrote:
    > I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?
    >

    > "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:KyEJh.4761$...
    >> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    No, I did mean 03.

    I have 01 and 02 VoIP numbers, but I'd like an 03 number for other use,
    these are the new non-geographic numbers, charged at the same rate as a
    geo.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 13, 2007
  4. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:31:23 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >pugwash wrote:
    >> I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?
    >>

    >> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
    >> message news:KyEJh.4761$...
    >>> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?
    >>>

    >No, I did mean 03.
    >
    >I have 01 and 02 VoIP numbers, but I'd like an 03 number for other use,
    >these are the new non-geographic numbers, charged at the same rate as a
    >geo.

    Have a word with the manager of Sipgate's UK division he may be able
    to arrange one for you .
    , Mar 13, 2007
  5. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Graham Guest

    "pugwash" <nobody> wrote in message
    >I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    All my VOIP numbers are 01 and 02
    I have offices in London, Manchester, Cardiff, Edinburgh, and New York
    (or so it might seem to someone calling me).
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Mar 13, 2007
  6. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Paul Cupis Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week was
    the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become available
    to endusers in 2-3 months.
    Paul Cupis, Mar 13, 2007
  7. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Paul Cupis Guest

    pugwash wrote:
    > I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.
    Paul Cupis, Mar 13, 2007
  8. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:56:05 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    >pugwash wrote:
    >> I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    >03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.

    In that case you will not catch me dialing any .
    , Mar 14, 2007
  9. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Paul Cupis Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:56:05 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >> pugwash wrote:
    >>> I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    >> 03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.

    > In that case you will not catch me dialing any .

    Why not, dare I ask?
    Paul Cupis, Mar 14, 2007
  10. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:56:05 +0000, Paul Cupis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > pugwash wrote:
    > > > I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean
    > > > 05?

    > > 03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.

    > In that case you will not catch me dialing any .

    Why not..? They are/will be charged at exactly the same rate as 01/02
    numbers.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Mar 14, 2007
  11. Paul Cupis wrote:
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    Right, OK thanks!
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Mar 14, 2007
  12. In article <45f740e9.0@entanet>, Paul Cupis <> wrote:
    >pugwash wrote:
    >> I thought 03 is geographical, not VoIP. Do you mean 05?

    >03 is non-geographical, but charged at geographic rates.

    And were'nt 056 numbers suppsoed to be the same way too? Whatever happened
    to them?

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 14, 2007
  13. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Brian A Guest

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:34:10 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Paul Cupis wrote:
    >> {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >>> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    >> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    >> was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    >> available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    >Right, OK thanks!

    The old non-geo 0345 numbers are current 'Lo-call' aren't they ? -
    like 0845s ?
    Some of the water companies such as 'Yorkshire Water' still use them
    for example.
    OfWat themselves have 0345 581658
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 14, 2007
  14. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Adrian Guest

    On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > Paul Cupis wrote:
    > > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > >> Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    > > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    > > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    > > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    > Right, OK thanks!

    So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
    areas?

    Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
    measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
    '02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
    area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
    codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
    using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
    '03*' codes.

    Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
    from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?

    Adrian
    Adrian, Mar 14, 2007
  15. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Spin Dryer Guest

    On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-

    >On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Paul Cupis wrote:

    >> > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    >> > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    >> > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    >> Right, OK thanks!

    >So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
    >areas?
    >
    >Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
    >measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
    >'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
    >area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
    >codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
    >using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
    >'03*' codes.
    >
    >Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
    >from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?
    >
    >Adrian

    What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
    about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.
    Spin Dryer, Mar 14, 2007
  16. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Adrian Guest

    On Mar 14, 11:17 am, Spin Dryer <> wrote:
    > On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-
    >

    > >On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    > >> Right, OK thanks!

    > >So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
    > >areas?

    > >Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
    > >measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
    > >'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
    > >area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
    > >codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
    > >using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
    > >'03*' codes.

    > >Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
    > >from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?

    > >Adrian

    > What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
    > about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.- Hide quoted text -

    Well thank you for that lucid and helpful reply Electricky Dicky, err
    Bart Bailey, Massimo, Stefan L, Mister Bartlett, GoNads, or whatever
    naming you are trolling under today.

    <Plonk!>
    Adrian, Mar 14, 2007
  17. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Graham Guest

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:34:10 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Cupis wrote:
    >>>
    >>> No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    >>> was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    >>> available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    >>Right, OK thanks!

    > The old non-geo 0345 numbers are current 'Lo-call' aren't they ? -
    > like 0845s ?
    > Some of the water companies such as 'Yorkshire Water' still use them
    > for example.
    > OfWat themselves have 0345 581658
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    0345 finished years ago.
    Looking at the OfWat website, all their numbers are 0121,
    not a non-geo in sight. Well done OfWat!

    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham, Mar 14, 2007
  18. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    stephen Guest

    "Paul Cupis" <> wrote in message news:45f740b7.0@entanet...
    > {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > > Are there any VoIP providers issuing numbers in the 03 range yet?

    > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week was
    > the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become available
    > to endusers in 2-3 months.

    in effect - some numbers are already allocated.

    the Ofcom page mentions that some numbers are reserved, so that companies
    already using 08xx can get an equivalent 03 number where all they do is
    change 8 -> 3.

    See 1.17 in
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numbering03/summary/

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Mar 14, 2007
  19. "Spin Dryer" <> wrote in message
    > On 14 Mar 2007 09:55:45 -0700, [Adrian] said :-
    >
    >>On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >>> Right, OK thanks!

    >>So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
    >>areas?
    >>
    >>Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
    >>measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
    >>'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
    >>area codes with 8 digit numbers. However, there are not enough '02*'
    >>codes to cover all the English regions. One would have expected after
    >>using all the '02*' options that usage would overflow to take insome
    >>'03*' codes.
    >>
    >>Since '03*' is now going to be utilized for non geopgraphic numbers,
    >>from where will the new area codes for 8 digit numbers come?
    >>
    >>Adrian

    > What does someone posting from Nevada Power company in the US know
    > about this ? Let me tell you, absolutely nothing.

    Have a look at what he responded to!

    Well the North American Numbering Plan was devised about 60 years ago and
    whilst some new area codes have been added and the central digit of the area
    code can now be other than zero or one, it has lasted well down to today.

    In the UK we have had area codes based on exchange names, then all number
    and at least two major renumbering schemes for London in the last twenty
    years. Large parts of the rest of the country has been radically changed as
    well.

    So what does anyone in the US know about number plans - a lot more than
    anyone in the UK!
    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 14, 2007
  20. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <>,
    Adrian <> writes
    >On Mar 13, 5:34 pm, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Paul Cupis wrote:

    >> > No, as Ofcom have not allocated any to any operators yet. Last week
    >> > was the initial application stage, so I'd expect numbers to become
    >> > available to endusers in 2-3 months.

    >> Right, OK thanks!

    >So what happen when Ofcom runs out of '02*' numbers for geographic
    >areas?

    That's probably not very likely. There seems to be a trend against
    using geographic numbers amongst businesses and that will probably be
    mirrored by residential users sometime.

    Now that the majority of UK call charges are not based on distance there
    isn't really much incentive to strictly assign areas of the country
    specific dialling codes. Many customers would probably like to take
    their current phone number with them when they move.

    >Let me explain: My understanding is that '01nnn' is a temporary
    >measure. Eventually Wales will all become 029, Scotland will have 2
    >'02*' areas and the English regions will be converted to two digit
    >area codes with 8 digit numbers.

    IIRC this idea was mooted by OFTEL some time ago, and Northern Ireland
    already follows this system by only having one dialling code.

    But customers are unhappy about having their numbers changed (again), so
    I think the idea was put on ice.
    --
    Martin Jay
    Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877