    Hope you can advise me......FRED C...BTW, I have Pent 333mhz,4gig HD, 64MB
    Ram, with exactly 0kb left.....does the 'BOOTING UP' process use a lot, and
    can i get some back by doing that another way..?? Cheers FRED C
    fredcromer, Jun 18, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Global_Killa Guest

    "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
    news:40d30015$...
    > I only had 64MB in the 1st place, but after downloading the usual programs
    > etc. from internet, and system cleaners etc. I now have NO RAM left, which
    > is causing my computer to run at a snails pace....I thought, (being a
    > computer user of 3 months ) that, it would be allright to download a lot

    of
    > usefull stuff because it would go on the HD, and that's only 4 gig, but

    why
    > has this had such an effect on my RAM ??, I started with about 32MB of RAM
    > when i bought this computer 3 months ago, 2nd hand, and is RAM just used

    for
    > running the computer, not anything to do with what i've downloaded, like
    > AVG,Mailwasher, Spyware stuff etc...and apart from programs such as
    > 'Rambooster', what can I do to get some back, as i can't get any more
    > without paying 30 quid to get someone to 'look' at my comp....All the

    Best,
    > Hope you can advise me......FRED C...BTW, I have Pent 333mhz,4gig HD, 64MB
    > Ram, with exactly 0kb left.....does the 'BOOTING UP' process use a lot,

    and
    > can i get some back by doing that another way..?? Cheers FRED C

    RAM is used to pass information to the processor. It catches the
    information, so programs load faster.

    I use RamBooster, which does the trick for me. Don't have to restart my PC
    for days while having it running.
    The best way to over come the problem is to upgrade your RAM to at least
    128MB. But if you need a short-term solution, check what programs are
    running with Windows. How many programs do you have open in the system tray
    (where the clock is)?

    All of these programs are taking RAM to run, if you don't need the program
    at the time, close it. You will free RAM by having less applications
    running.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 18, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    > I only had 64MB in the 1st place

    Another note, when I was running a PC with 64MB of RAM with programs such as
    RamBooster. I noticed that the computer would run a lot slower because it
    was trying to clean out the RAM too often.

    Everytime the RAM is cleaned, the catched information is deleted so any
    program that had stored information in the RAM now needed to reload it,
    which slowed things down.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 18, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in

    > RAM is used to pass information to the processor. It catches the
    > information, so programs load faster.

    You've made this mistake a number of times and I am correcting it. It is
    "cache", not catch. RAM does not cache stuff for the processor in the
    sense you are speaking of.

    > I use RamBooster, which does the trick for me. Don't have to restart
    > my PC for days while having it running.

    If you are using an operating system like Windows 2000, or XP, you
    shouldn't have to restart often anyway.

    > The best way to over come the problem is to upgrade your RAM to at
    > least 128MB. But if you need a short-term solution, check what

    For simple email/web browsing and word processing, 64 MB is adaquate for
    a 9x system

    > programs are running with Windows. How many programs do you have open
    > in the system tray (where the clock is)?

    This is actually good advice.

    > All of these programs are taking RAM to run, if you don't need the
    > program at the time, close it. You will free RAM by having less
    > applications running.

    Also good advice.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 18, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: 0 Kb of RAM left, reclaiming it ??
    >From: Jim Berwick
    >Date: 6/18/04 8:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >"Global_Killa" <> wrote in
    >
    >> RAM is used to pass information to the processor. It catches the
    >> information, so programs load faster.

    >You've made this mistake a number of times and I am correcting it. It is
    >"cache", not catch. RAM does not cache stuff for the processor in the
    >sense you are speaking of.
    >
    >> I use RamBooster, which does the trick for me. Don't have to restart
    >> my PC for days while having it running.

    >If you are using an operating system like Windows 2000, or XP, you
    >shouldn't have to restart often anyway.
    >
    >> The best way to over come the problem is to upgrade your RAM to at
    >> least 128MB. But if you need a short-term solution, check what

    >For simple email/web browsing and word processing, 64 MB is adaquate for
    >a 9x system
    >
    >> programs are running with Windows. How many programs do you have open
    >> in the system tray (where the clock is)?

    >This is actually good advice.
    >
    >> All of these programs are taking RAM to run, if you don't need the
    >> program at the time, close it. You will free RAM by having less
    >> applications running.

    >Also good advice.

    I'm replacing my DELL 400 with a Dell 4500. Can I use the RAM strips form the
    old computer in the new one?

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Jun 18, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (ArtKramr) wrote in

    > I'm replacing my DELL 400 with a Dell 4500. Can I use the RAM strips
    > form the old computer in the new one?

    I'm not entirely familiar with Dell's new and old product lines, but
    probably not.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 18, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    Plato Guest

    fredcromer wrote:

    > I only had 64MB in the 1st place, but after downloading the usual programs

    You have a hardware problem. You want at least 128 for SE and at least
    512 for XP.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 18, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in
    >
    > > RAM is used to pass information to the processor. It catches the
    > > information, so programs load faster.

    > You've made this mistake a number of times and I am correcting it. It is
    > "cache", not catch. RAM does not cache stuff for the processor in the
    > sense you are speaking of.
    >
    > > I use RamBooster, which does the trick for me. Don't have to restart
    > > my PC for days while having it running.

    > If you are using an operating system like Windows 2000, or XP, you
    > shouldn't have to restart often anyway.
    >
    > > The best way to over come the problem is to upgrade your RAM to at
    > > least 128MB. But if you need a short-term solution, check what

    > For simple email/web browsing and word processing, 64 MB is adaquate for
    > a 9x system
    >
    > > programs are running with Windows. How many programs do you have open
    > > in the system tray (where the clock is)?

    > This is actually good advice.
    >
    > > All of these programs are taking RAM to run, if you don't need the
    > > program at the time, close it. You will free RAM by having less
    > > applications running.

    > Also good advice.

    Thanks for pointing out my mistakes. Something I shouldn't really get wrong
    since I'm a computer student =(

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 18, 2004
  9. fredcromer

    fredcromer Guest

    I'm running WindowsME, and using RamBooster to get up to about 4000kb at the
    moment, I don't even know what type of RAM I need, on my Boot-up sequence
    iot mentions SDRAM at Row: somethingorother, so that's probably the one I
    need, and about another 192MB I think, hen i'll have 256MB RAM....how much
    would that be,?....approx???
    fredcromer, Jun 19, 2004