    another cause/solution to this
    that could be suggested for the 98 machine.

    tnx.

    alan, Aug 23, 2003

  2. alan

    Boomer Guest

    alan said:

    > I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries
    > my connection, they see
    > my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I
    > had a similar problem on a WinXP
    > machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right
    > clicking on LAN in network connections
    > then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get
    > an IP.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is
    > there another cause/solution to this
    > that could be suggested for the 98 machine.
    >
    > tnx.

    Have you searched Google.com?

    Maybe something here?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
    1&q=win98%2Blan%2B0.0.0.0&btnG=Google+Search

    Boomer, Aug 23, 2003

  3. alan

    °Mike° Guest

    Start / Run / winipcfg

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:31:22 -0400, in
    <AKM1b.7310$>
    alan scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  4. alan

    alan Guest

    Could you expand a bit on what you mean by just saying "start/run/winipcfg"

    if you are suggesting i renew in winipcfg... that does not work.

    Do you mean i can 'disable/enable' the connection in winipcfg?!?!

    tnx.

    alan, Aug 23, 2003
  5. "alan" <> wrote in

    > I am running Win 98 on a 2nd computer. When my cable isp queries
    > my connection, they see
    > my Nic Mac with an ip of 0.0.0.0, yet i can not renew the ip. I
    > had a similar problem on a WinXP
    > machine, same senario, if i Disabled the connection by right
    > clicking on LAN in network connections
    > then after disabling it I Enabled it, then renewed it, i could get
    > an IP.
    >
    > Anyone know how to do this disable/enable on a 98 machine? Or is
    > there another cause/solution to this
    > that could be suggested for the 98 machine.

    You can't disable/enable the network card on Windows 98. That's why
    you have to reboot the system every time you make changes to the
    network control panel.

    Do you have firewall software in place?
    The initial assignment of a DHCP IP address is done at a low level
    (because when you first boot, you don't have an IP address). However,
    Releases and Renewals of DHCP-assigned IP addresses require that IP
    ports 67 and 68 to be open to your DHCP server. If you are blocking
    these ports with your firewall software, then your IP address will
    disappear when your initial lease period expires.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Aug 23, 2003
  6. alan

    °Mike° Guest

    Forget my answer. I misread your question. My bad. :(

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:44:02 -0400, in
    <3HO1b.7336$>
    alan scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  7. alan

    alan Guest

    alan, Aug 24, 2003
  8. alan

    alan Guest

    also, this is via a direct connection to the cable modem.

    alan, Aug 24, 2003