    far more revenue from proprietary competitors than the company itself gets.
    But in spite of that, it is still a very profitable software company.
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/03/red_hat_novell_acquisition_look_at_anything/>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 4, 2010

  2. In message <huaror$6qm$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Red Hat’s CEO Jim Whitehurst points out that the impact of Open Source
    > takes far more revenue from proprietary competitors than the company
    > itself gets. But in spite of that, it is still a very profitable software
    > company.

    Also
    <http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=3010&blogid=14>:

    [Whitehurst] said that he did think that Red Hat could get to $5 billion
    in due course, but that this entailed “replacing $50 billion of revenueâ€
    currently enjoyed by other computer companies. What he meant was that to
    attain that $5 billion of revenue Red Hat would have to displace
    software that currently costs $50 billion. Selling $50 billion-worth of
    software – even if it only costs $5 billion – is somewhat hard, which is
    why it will take a while to achieve.

    I think there is also an economic-visibility argument: the more expensive
    you are, the more notice people take of you.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 14, 2010