    if you don't have a proper backup, you’re still at risk. Without the
    proper preparation, moving to a new OS is risky for anybody.â€

    Why should an in-place upgrade endanger user files?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 6, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Re: ?Wait For Microsoft To Work Out The Bugs?

    On 2009-11-06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Yeah, right?do that and you?ll /never/ upgrade
    ><http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140156/Users_should_delay_Windows_7_upgrade_support_firm_warns>.
    >
    > This part puzzles me, though:
    >
    > ?Transferring all their data, their digital life essentially, is one of
    > the most common, and most troubling, issues that users have,? said
    > Kaplan, noting that the chore is among the top problems Rescuecom?s
    > support technicians field. ?Even if you?re doing an in-place [upgrade],
    > if you don't have a proper backup, you?re still at risk. Without the
    > proper preparation, moving to a new OS is risky for anybody.?
    >
    > Why should an in-place upgrade endanger user files?

    C'mon do tell us.
    Gordon, Nov 7, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Yeah, right—do that and you’ll /never/ upgrade
    > <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140156/Users_should_delay_Windows_7_upgrade_support_firm_warns>.
    >
    > This part puzzles me, though:
    >
    > “Transferring all their data, their digital life essentially, is one of
    > the most common, and most troubling, issues that users have,†said
    > Kaplan, noting that the chore is among the top problems Rescuecom’s
    > support technicians field. “Even if you’re doing an in-place [upgrade],
    > if you don't have a proper backup, you’re still at risk. Without the
    > proper preparation, moving to a new OS is risky for anybody.â€
    >
    > Why should an in-place upgrade endanger user files?

    You should always have a backup. You should have a backup at home and
    one stored at the North Pole. And maybe one on the moon, just in case.

    But anyway, I can think of several ways that an in-place upgrade could
    go wrong. The most obvious is a mistake when you create the partitions.
    An inexperienced person could easily muck that up. Well, an
    *experienced* person could muck it up, but an experienced person would
    have a backup.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 7, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Yeah, right-do that and you'll /never/ upgrade
    >> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140156/Users_should_delay_Windows_7_upgrade_support_firm_warns>.
    >>
    >> This part puzzles me, though:
    >>
    >> "Transferring all their data, their digital life essentially, is
    >> one of the most common, and most troubling, issues that users
    >> have," said Kaplan, noting that the chore is among the top
    >> problems Rescuecom's support technicians field. "Even if you're
    >> doing an in-place [upgrade], if you don't have a proper backup,
    >> you're still at risk. Without the proper preparation, moving to a
    >> new OS is risky for anybody."
    >>
    >> Why should an in-place upgrade endanger user files?

    > So you favourite Linux distro suggests that you shouldn't do a backup before
    > before a major verion replacement of kernal and all other associated widgets
    > ? Scary.
    >
    > geoff

    Correct.
    Not scary at all.
    The kernel gets upgraded quite regularly in minor ubuntu upgrades, user
    data is well isolated from the package manager process.
    victor, Nov 8, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    victor wrote:
    > geoff wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Yeah, right-do that and you'll /never/ upgrade
    >>> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140156/Users_should_delay_Windows_7_upgrade_support_firm_warns>.
    >>>

    >>> This part puzzles me, though:
    >>>
    >>> "Transferring all their data, their digital life essentially, is
    >>> one of the most common, and most troubling, issues that users
    >>> have," said Kaplan, noting that the chore is among the top
    >>> problems Rescuecom's support technicians field. "Even if you're
    >>> doing an in-place [upgrade], if you don't have a proper backup,
    >>> you're still at risk. Without the proper preparation, moving to a
    >>> new OS is risky for anybody."
    >>>
    >>> Why should an in-place upgrade endanger user files?

    >> So you favourite Linux distro suggests that you shouldn't do a backup
    >> before before a major verion replacement of kernal and all other
    >> associated widgets ? Scary.

    > Correct.
    > Not scary at all.
    > The kernel gets upgraded quite regularly in minor ubuntu upgrades, user
    > data is well isolated from the package manager process.

    A Microsoft upgrade is more akin to a dist-upgrade and I would take a
    backup before doing one of those.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 9, 2009