  1. Fanboys are funny, aren’t they...

    <http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg>
    <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100702/03200710058.shtml>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    Re: “But I Want An Iphone”

    On Jul 4, 2:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Fanboys are funny, aren’t they...
    >
    > <http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg>
    > <http://techdirt.com/articles/20100702/03200710058.shtml>

    Oh the irony!
    Simon, Jul 4, 2010

  3. In message
    <>, Simon
    wrote:

    > Oh the irony!

    You were the one claiming that you don’t need image backups to restore a
    fully-functioning Windows system, weren’t you
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3e48cb00380293d3>?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 4, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    Re: “But I Want An Iphone”

    On Jul 4, 6:50 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Simon
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Oh the irony!

    > You were the one claiming that you don’t need image backups to restore a
    > fully-functioning Windows system, weren’t you
    > <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/msg/3e48cb00380293d3>?

    There are many ways to achieve the same result, all with associated
    advantages and disadvantages. Both image and file-based backups can
    both be used in the Windows world for restorative purposes. For the
    record, in our business we use file-based backups for both the Linux
    and Windows installations.

    I cannot speak for you, but I am not a blinkered "fanboy" of a
    particular operating system or piece of software. They are a tool - a
    means to an end - and an astute and professional IT practitioner will
    chose the tool best suited to solving the business need or problem,
    rather than proclaiming one as superior in each and every situation.
    That is why we have a mixture of operating systems (Mac, Linux and
    Windows) and of application software.
    Simon, Jul 4, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Rhino Guest

    Re: ³But I Want An Iphone²

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:45 +1200, whoisthis <>
    wrote:

    >In article
    ><>,
    > Simon <> wrote:
    >
    >Exactly !
    >I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
    >operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
    >the operator the most productive, so in some cases we have Macs triple
    >booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

    Simon,

    You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010. I
    have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
    for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.

    Depending on their needs, each OS is the best choice for them.

    In the computer world, one size does not fit all.

    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Jul 5, 2010
  6. In message
    <>, Simon
    wrote:

    > Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
    > for restorative purposes.

    But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
    it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
    only backup, you need to use an image backup.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    Re: “But I Want An Iphone”

    On Jul 6, 10:39 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > > Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
    > > for restorative purposes.

    > But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
    > it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
    > only backup, you need to use an image backup.

    Despite your childish and decidedly unprofessional demeanour displayed
    in the other thread (quote) "Another Dimdows “expert” assuring us that
    file backups are sufficient for
    this purpose." I'll answer your question anyway.

    Your question was: 'So you need “image” backups to properly restore a
    functioning Dimdows
    system? File backups aren’t enough? '

    The answer is no, you don't *require* imaged based backups to restore
    a working Windows system, as in many cases file backups are enough. It
    really depends on what is running on the system.

    As a real-world example, the remaining Windows file-server in our
    organisation was fully restored by reloading windows via an automated
    script & then restoring the files (including System state data). We
    *could* have used an image based backup system, but we decided not to
    in this instance for a variety of reasons.
    Simon, Jul 6, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    Re: ³But I Want An Iphone²

    On Jul 5, 10:16 pm, Rhino <> wrote:

    > >Exactly !
    > >I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
    > >operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
    > >the operator the most productive, so in some cases we  have Macs triple
    > >booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

    > Simon,
    >
    > You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010.  I
    > have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
    > for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.
    >
    > Depending on their needs, each OS is the best choice for them.
    >
    > In the computer world, one size does not fit all.
    >
    > Cheers, Rhino

    Thanks Rhino/Whoisthis :eek:)

    I am extremely glad to see that there are other *true professionals*
    out there that understand IT from a business perspective.

    The attitude that we're seeing here is, in my opinion, derived from an
    emotional attachment to a particular technology, which I believe is a
    dangerous thing, as it inhibits cool and rational selection of the
    most appropriate solution.

    I shall treasure the shiny new award ;)
    Simon, Jul 6, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Simon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Both image and file-based backups can both be used in the Windows world
    >> for restorative purposes.

    > But just about everybody else in the world with any Windows experience makes
    > it clear that you CANNOT restore a working Windows installation from a file-
    > only backup, you need to use an image backup.

    When you install windows 7, your old windows is put into a folder called
    old windows, it puts windows, program files, program file (x86), users,
    and program data in there.

    If you move those folders back to the root of the drive, you have your
    old windows installation back. To me that seems pretty conclusive proof
    that you can do it with just a file backup. There may be boot stuff that
    needs sorting out on a fresh drive, but IME booting the windows CD and
    letting it do its repair thing sorts that out pretty easily and quickly.
    Richard, Jul 7, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    Re: ³But I Want An Iphone²

    On Jul 5, 10:16 pm, Rhino <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 20:14:45 +1200, whoisthis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article
    > ><>,
    > > Simon <> wrote:

    > >Exactly !
    > >I have the attitude that the most expensive part of the computer is the
    > >operator, so (within reason) we choose the OS and Applications that make
    > >the operator the most productive, so in some cases we  have Macs triple
    > >booting (or running multiples OSs in a VM)

    > Simon,
    >
    > You have just won the award for the best post in nz.comp for 2010.  I
    > have VM's running Linux, Win 2k, XPSP2, XPSP3, 2k3 server & 2k8 server
    > for lab testing prior to suggesting solutions to clients.

    Rhino,

    One concern I do have is that VM Ware's pricing (and that of pretty
    much all the major proprietary vendors), are creeping towards the
    point where the cost of the solution is in many cases, on par with or
    exceeds the savings that can be realised from deploying their solution
    in the first place.

    Of course, over exuberant engineers deploying stand-alone VM's to run
    a service by itself (simply because deployment is now so easy),
    doesn't help either!

    Would like to hear some of your thoughts on this....
    Simon, Jul 8, 2010