    number (01, 02 etc). I've currently got accounts with sipgate and draytel
    and the numbers with those accounts came free. Are all voip providers going
    this way?

    tg, Feb 4, 2012

  2. tg

    Graham. Guest

    On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg" <>
    wrote:

    >I've been googling this weekend for a uk voip provider, trying to get
    >another phone number and find a better deal than I currently have, but with
    >every new voip provider I try they're charging £2 a month for a UK local
    >number (01, 02 etc). I've currently got accounts with sipgate and draytel
    >and the numbers with those accounts came free. Are all voip providers going
    >this way?

    I have noticed a trend towards charging.
    I got some numbers from The Number Group a while ago on the basis of
    what they called a free trial, I made a few test calls over two or
    three days then forgot about it. The next thing I knew was an invoice
    for about 10GBP in my inbox. Fortunately their only sanction was
    closure of my account, still, I was not impressed.
    Apart from anything else, 10 quid is roughly what I pay to Betamax for
    all my outgoing calls for about 3 months.

    Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    UKDDI will give you a block 10 numbers, I use them to point to various
    Localphone and Orbtalk accounts. You can also configure one or more of
    your UKDDI range for fax to email.

    As for the future, who knows? I was pondering upon the fact that the
    GPO/BT landline I have has been associated with this property for over
    70 years, if I ported it out to VoIP I would probably lose it as soon
    as my chosen provider went belly-up.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Feb 4, 2012

  3. tg

    Paul Cummins Guest

    We were about to embark at Dover, when (Graham.) came up
    to me and whispered:

    > I got some numbers from The Number Group a while ago on the
    > basis of what they called a free trial, I made a few test calls
    > over two or three days then forgot about it. The next thing I knew
    > was an invoice for about 10GBP in my inbox.

    I just had a bill for these "free" services too

    --
    Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
    Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

    ---- If it's below this line, I didn't write it ----

    Paul Cummins, Feb 5, 2012
  4. tg

    just42night Guest

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 00:03 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    d (Paul Cummins) wrote:

    >I just had a bill for these "free" services too

    I got an email from them a couple of months ago saying they were going
    to start a monthly charge.

    I've closed the account now.

    just42night, Feb 5, 2012
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg" <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>>
    > Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them. For
    nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will hopefully go the
    same way as the dinosaurs.

    tg, Feb 6, 2012
  6. tg

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:52 +0000, tg wrote:

    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg" <>
    >> wrote:

    > <snip>>
    >> Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    > yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them. For
    > nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will hopefully go
    > the same way as the dinosaurs.

    Or Sipgate will, due to lack of income.

    --
    Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
    http://www.mirrorservice.org

    Bob Eager, Feb 6, 2012
  7. In article <>,
    Bob Eager <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:52 +0000, tg wrote:
    >
    >> "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg" <>
    >>> wrote:

    >> <snip>>
    >>> Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    >> yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them. For
    >> nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will hopefully go
    >> the same way as the dinosaurs.

    >Or Sipgate will, due to lack of income.

    Indeed.

    The wholesaler that Sipgate uses charges per number allocated. I know this
    as I use the same wholesaler. There are breaks depending on the number
    of numbers allocated, but it's still not nothing.

    If you're at the top level and giving numbers away for free (e.g. ukddi)
    then you do get a tiny fraction of a penny per minute on all calls coming
    into you (that you then pass-on via SIP, etc.) does it offset the cost of
    hosting the equipment and so on? Possibly, who knows.

    So it's a bit of a gamble. I've had a Sipgate number or 2 for a good
    number of years and not paid them a penny - I even have customers who'd
    rather not pay me the £1 per number per month that I charge, but instead
    get them for free off Sipgate. I think they've up to about 30 numbers
    now - they pay me for the calls only...

    I can't give numbers away for free, much as I'd like to as I know that
    people like that customer and others here would simply abuse it and take
    incoming calls one way and place outgoing another which I know I can't
    sustain, economically.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Feb 6, 2012
  8. tg

    Ria Elaine Guest

    Re: £2 a month for uk local number ?

    On 06/02/12 17:00, Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:52 +0000, tg wrote:
    >
    >> "Graham."<> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg"<>
    >>> wrote:

    >> <snip>>
    >>> Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    >> yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them. For
    >> nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will hopefully go
    >> the same way as the dinosaurs.

    > Or Sipgate will, due to lack of income.

    They've been going longer than most, they must be getting income from
    somewhere...

    --
    Much love,
    Ria xx

    Ria Elaine, Mar 27, 2012
  9. tg

    kashmiri Guest

    "Ria Elaine" wrote in message news:...

    On 06/02/12 17:00, Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:52 +0000, tg wrote:
    >
    >> "Graham."<> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 17:27:16 -0000, "tg"<>
    >>> wrote:

    >> <snip>>
    >>> Sipgate is still free why don't you get another one from them?

    >> yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them. For
    >> nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will hopefully go
    >> the same way as the dinosaurs.

    > Or Sipgate will, due to lack of income.

    They've been going longer than most, they must be getting income from
    somewhere...

    Their Germany business is hugely profitable just as very popular there.

    k.

    kashmiri, Apr 12, 2012
  10. tg

    Bob Eager Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 20:57:30 +0100, kashmiri wrote:

    > "Ria Elaine" wrote in message news:...
    >
    > On 06/02/12 17:00, Bob Eager wrote:
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:37:52 +0000, tg wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Graham."<> wrote in message
    >>> <snip>>
    >>>
    >>> yeah I took your advice and got another geographic number from them.
    >>> For nothing. These companies that are charging £2 a month will
    >>> hopefully go the same way as the dinosaurs.

    >> Or Sipgate will, due to lack of income.

    > They've been going longer than most, they must be getting income from
    > somewhere...

    Probably the price of their calls.

    > Their Germany business is hugely profitable just as very popular there.

    Is that a sentence?

    Bob Eager, Apr 12, 2012