£1000 to spend on a Camera - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Ortt, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. John Ortt

    John Ortt Guest

    This is a purely hypothetical question based on a conversation I have been
    having in a previous thread...

    If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or ?1500) to spend on a camera what would you
    buy and why :)

    Camera must be fully functionnal, I.E you can't choose a 'Body Only' SLR
    without a lens and you must have some memory to use with it (or film if you
    so choose).

    If you think a prosumer would be a better bet feel free to do so.

    It has to be assumed that this will be the only purchase for a minimum of
    one year, in other words you would have to make do with whatever you choose
    for at-least one year for all your usual photography needs before buying any
    further upgrades.

    Budget can include camera and numerous lenses/accessories or your choice or
    camera on it's own.

    Items can be second hand or brand new (provided second hand prices are
    realistic and/or proven by a link)

    If somebody wants to choose a film camera that is fine too. A second hand
    one would be an interesting comparison.

    Maybe the film choice could be in conjunction with a scanner.....

    Might be interesting if we have different proffessions such as
    sports/wildlife photographers too.

    OK, there you go.....let the fun begin :)

    I will post my response separately...

    John Ortt, Sep 8, 2005

  2. John Ortt

    John Ortt Guest

    My personnal preference would be to buy a used Canon EOS 300D body (the
    original rebel) for the bargain price of £300 from e-bay and then spend
    another £360 on the EF-S 17-85 USM IS lens to go with it.

    Link for Body:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EOS-300D-300-...544919956QQcategoryZ30020QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Link for lens:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Canon-EF-...7542401005QQcategoryZ4687QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    That leaves £340 for flash, tripod and memory.

    2 Gb Compact flash approx £65 (at present)

    580EX for approx £250

    Which Totals £975 which leaves £25 for a cheap tripod.

    What do you think everyone?

    John Ortt, Sep 8, 2005

  3. John Ortt wrote:
    []
    >> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or Euro 1500) to spend on a camera what
    >> would you buy and why :)

    I would actually get the two cameras I have now. Panasonic FZ5 for
    telephoto shots and Nikon 8400 (now discounted) for 24mm wide-angle shots.
    I might look between the FZ5 and the Canon S2 IS. No need for add-ons or
    accessory lenses. Might get a 55mm polarising filter as well. Would have
    been nice if batteries and memory cards were the same style, though.

    Image stabilisation mostly rules out the need for a tripod. I would
    manage with on-camera flash. I like to travel light.

    Take a holiday with the money left over, or get an Epson P-2000 for
    storage in the field.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 8, 2005
  4. John Ortt

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=A31000?= to spend on a Camera - What would you do?

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > John Ortt wrote:
    > []
    > >> If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or Euro 1500) to spend on a camera what
    > >> would you buy and why :)

    > I would actually get the two cameras I have now. Panasonic FZ5 for
    > telephoto shots and Nikon 8400 (now discounted) for 24mm wide-angle shots.
    > I might look between the FZ5 and the Canon S2 IS. No need for add-ons or
    > accessory lenses. Might get a 55mm polarising filter as well. Would have
    > been nice if batteries and memory cards were the same style, though.
    >
    > Image stabilisation mostly rules out the need for a tripod. I would
    > manage with on-camera flash. I like to travel light.
    >
    > Take a holiday with the money left over, or get an Epson P-2000 for
    > storage in the field.
    >
    > David

    I'm not too good on cams and names etc and often think something is
    good when it isn't and vice versa, so I'd have to ask around but I'd
    really want something which takes great point and shoot stuff but with
    the capability of manual work too, and I'd still like a big zoom,
    though I don't think I'd want separate lenses as my mind doesn't
    always take on board everything it needs to anymore and I think the
    learning process would be too long.

    One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
    light shooting

    now... where's my £1000? :O)
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    Paul Heslop, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Paul Heslop wrote:
    []
    > One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
    > light shooting
    >

    > now... where's my £1000? :O)

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp

    should be about the best low-light camera today with no DSLR
    complications. 10MP, but the zoom is limited to 120mm, though.

    David

    David J Taylor, Sep 8, 2005
  6. John Ortt

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > []
    > > One thing I would like that my present cam doesn't have is good low
    > > light shooting
    > >

    > > now... where's my £1000? :O)

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp
    >
    > should be about the best low-light camera today with no DSLR
    > complications. 10MP, but the zoom is limited to 120mm, though.
    >
    > David

    wow, looks the business, compared to my little Oly. I really like that
    shape too, I find cameras pretty hard to hold nowadays. Sadly, without
    the camera fairy showing a grand under me pillow it'll remain a pipe
    dream though.

    Paul Heslop, Sep 8, 2005
  7. John Ortt

    salgud Guest

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_=A31000_to_spend_on_a_Camera_-_What_would_you_do=3F?=

    I'd buy a $200 p&s, then throw one helluva party!

    salgud, Sep 8, 2005
  8. John Ortt

    salgud wrote:

    > I'd buy a $200 p&s, then throw one helluva party!

    :O) I already have a couple of small cams so I could just throw the
    party!

    Paul Heslop, Sep 8, 2005
  9. Re: =?iso-8859-1?b?ozEwMDA=?= to spend on a Camera - What would you do?

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:00:56 +0100, John Ortt wrote:

    > This is a purely hypothetical question based on a conversation I have been
    > having in a previous thread...
    >
    > If you had £1000 (approx $1500 or ?1500) to spend on a camera what would
    > you buy and why :)
    >
    > Camera must be fully functionnal, I.E you can't choose a 'Body Only' SLR
    > without a lens and you must have some memory to use with it (or film if
    > you so choose).
    >
    > If you think a prosumer would be a better bet feel free to do so.
    >
    > It has to be assumed that this will be the only purchase for a minimum of
    > one year, in other words you would have to make do with whatever you
    > choose for at-least one year for all your usual photography needs before
    > buying any further upgrades.
    >
    > Budget can include camera and numerous lenses/accessories or your choice
    > or camera on it's own.
    >
    > Items can be second hand or brand new (provided second hand prices are
    > realistic and/or proven by a link)
    >
    > If somebody wants to choose a film camera that is fine too. A second hand
    > one would be an interesting comparison.

    And another 35mm film camera? Already have 4 bodies, 3 motors and a half
    dozen lenses. All Nikon. All manual. All I need.

    I basically already did this about a year ago, but with half of your
    budget. I shoot professionally and needed a digital SLR for fast
    turn-around times on b&w PR photos, headshots, and available light stage
    productions. Largest print size needed: 8x10; however, most of the stuff
    would be for the web or photo offset brochures or magazine publication.
    All things considered, my optimum choice was:

    Used Canon D30 kit w/o lens, mint ------ $450 US
    New Sigma 18-50 f3.5-5.6 D ------------- 125
    4 - Lexar 256 MB CF cards -------------- 80 (on sale at Wal-Mart)

    TOTAL $655

    Shortly, I plan to add the Canon 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, both used, if I can
    find them, mostly for no flash, available light work. So, let's say that
    runs another $500 bringing my total to $1155. What to do with that left
    over $345? Ah! Just enough to get another D30 body as a backup. The
    prices have dropped since last year, and I get really nervous having only
    one digital camera body. ;-)

    Stefan

    Stefan Patric, Sep 9, 2005