Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Which event?

Which event?

Steve Schroeder

I have a working form/datagrid/search page working...was trying allow the
user to enter search criteria in a textbox, hit enter, and fire off the same
event my command button runs.

How might I do that? There doesn't seem to be an obvious event tied to the
textbox or form that this would go.

Thanks,

Steve

Teemu Keiski

If you mean that hitting Enter would cause anything to happen even if you
have a Button on the form also, that's a known problem. You can work around
it with this control, for example

http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/DefaultButtons.aspx

If you want to get to the "event", you'd need to wire event for say
onkeypress client-side event, check if the keyCode is 13 (enter, how you get
to this in various browsers might indeed vary) and then cause client-side
action (postback) that again causes something to happen at server.

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

"Steve Schroeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a working form/datagrid/search page working...was trying allow the
> user to enter search criteria in a textbox, hit enter, and fire off the
> same
> event my command button runs.
>
> How might I do that? There doesn't seem to be an obvious event tied to the
> textbox or form that this would go.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve Schroeder

Thanks, appreciate the pointer.

Did someone at MS have a brain fart over this one...hello...anyone home at
Redmond...lol, amazing.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you mean that hitting Enter would cause anything to happen even if you
> have a Button on the form also, that's a known problem. You can work

around
> it with this control, for example
>
> http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/DefaultButtons.aspx
>
> If you want to get to the "event", you'd need to wire event for say
> onkeypress client-side event, check if the keyCode is 13 (enter, how you

get
> to this in various browsers might indeed vary) and then cause client-side
> action (postback) that again causes something to happen at server.
>
> --
> Teemu Keiski
> ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider
> Finland, EU
>

> "Steve Schroeder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a working form/datagrid/search page working...was trying allow the
> > user to enter search criteria in a textbox, hit enter, and fire off the
> > same
> > event my command button runs.
> >
> > How might I do that? There doesn't seem to be an obvious event tied to

the
> > textbox or form that this would go.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve

Steve Schroeder

I can add the Metabuilder's DefaultButtons as a reference to my project, but
I when I go to add it to my toolbox...I get...dll cannot be loaded, check
that dependencies are installed...

I had this same problem with another third party control, .DotNetCharting.
So much for the end of DLL hell...lol.

Billy, Billy, Billy...what were you thinking?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...