Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox for blind users?

Firefox for blind users?

.

A blind friend of mine is using JAWS to navigate through his computer
and web. He goes to a website (eBay, for example), and JAWS articulates
to him the text and URLs. He uses the keyboard to tab between links, and
when he finds the link he wants, he hits space bar. It's amazing to see
him in action.

When he complained about popups, I told him to switch to Firefox. He
said he tried that, but that it didn't work well with JAWS. Anyone know
of any resources that could help me figure out what's going on? I
haven't "seen" the problem yet -- he has no monitor.

(But if I have to, I'll hook one up to see what the problem is.)

Pascal Chevrel

Le 13/12/2004 20:45, . a ecrit :
> A blind friend of mine is using JAWS to navigate through his computer
> and web. He goes to a website (eBay, for example), and JAWS articulates
> to him the text and URLs. He uses the keyboard to tab between links, and
> when he finds the link he wants, he hits space bar. It's amazing to see
> him in action.
>
> When he complained about popups, I told him to switch to Firefox. He
> said he tried that, but that it didn't work well with JAWS. Anyone know
> of any resources that could help me figure out what's going on? I
> haven't "seen" the problem yet -- he has no monitor.
>
> (But if I have to, I'll hook one up to see what the problem is.)

There is a brand new special version of Jaws for firefox :

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/s2s/l...me/index.shtml

Pascal chevrel

heehaw@donkey.com

What does that Jaws do. convert all the text to audio and read it?
I suppose that would be needed for the blind unless someone can find a
way to do braille on a monitor.

HeeHaw

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:45:33 -0800, "." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A blind friend of mine is using JAWS to navigate through his computer
>and web. He goes to a website (eBay, for example), and JAWS articulates
>to him the text and URLs. He uses the keyboard to tab between links, and
>when he finds the link he wants, he hits space bar. It's amazing to see
>him in action.
>
>When he complained about popups, I told him to switch to Firefox. He
>said he tried that, but that it didn't work well with JAWS. Anyone know
>of any resources that could help me figure out what's going on? I
>haven't "seen" the problem yet -- he has no monitor.
>
>(But if I have to, I'll hook one up to see what the problem is.)

Frederic Banaszak