Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS Authentication (mixed mode)

VS Authentication (mixed mode)

tripwater

Hello, I am currently trying to learn VS, using C#. I have a book called
Beginning C# Databases. I am using sqlserver and the first half of the book
deals with windows apps. So it uses the windows authentication. Well now it
is at the web form section and I can not connect this way now because it is
no longer getting authentication from me as a user on this PC. The book
explains a (mixed mode) where you can do both types of projects and get the
benefit of both types of authentication.

So far what the book does not show is how to set up sqlserver or VS for
mixed mode authentication. This is where I need help. If someone could
please walk me through setting this up it would be appreciated. Remember I
am new to all of this so please keep that in mind when you explain it.

Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=

Hi!

The "mixed mode" has nothing to do with VS. You can specify this option
during the installation process of your sql-server. You can setup "mixed
mode" with your Enterprise Manager on an existing installation of SQL-Server.

Open Enterprise Manager, right-click on the server you want to setup and
choose settings. Open the tab "Security" and choose "SQL Server and Windows"
under Authentication.

You now can setup any user for the database (e.g. sa) with a password to use
this information in future for a database connection.

cu patrick

"tripwater" wrote:

> Hello, I am currently trying to learn VS, using C#. I have a book called
> Beginning C# Databases. I am using sqlserver and the first half of the book
> deals with windows apps. So it uses the windows authentication. Well now it
> is at the web form section and I can not connect this way now because it is
> no longer getting authentication from me as a user on this PC. The book
> explains a (mixed mode) where you can do both types of projects and get the
> benefit of both types of authentication.
>
> So far what the book does not show is how to set up sqlserver or VS for
> mixed mode authentication. This is where I need help. If someone could
> please walk me through setting this up it would be appreciated. Remember I
> am new to all of this so please keep that in mind when you explain it.
>
> Thanks

tripwater

Thanks for the reply Patrick. Well upon further investigation, I do not have
Enterprise Manager installed. I tried searching for it through google but I
came up with third party sites trying to sell it. I did download the MSDE
SQL Server Web Data Administrator from Microsoft but it had a web interface
and locked up. BTW I am running MSDE, if that changes anything. Again thanks
for your help. Hopefully you or someone can point me in the

right direction form here as to how I can obtain a reliable manager.

"tripwater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23B%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I am currently trying to learn VS, using C#. I have a book called
> Beginning C# Databases. I am using sqlserver and the first half of the
> book
> deals with windows apps. So it uses the windows authentication. Well now
> it
> is at the web form section and I can not connect this way now because it
> is
> no longer getting authentication from me as a user on this PC. The book
> explains a (mixed mode) where you can do both types of projects and get
> the
> benefit of both types of authentication.
>
> So far what the book does not show is how to set up sqlserver or VS for
> mixed mode authentication. This is where I need help. If someone could
> please walk me through setting this up it would be appreciated. Remember I
> am new to all of this so please keep that in mind when you explain it.
>
> Thanks

tripwater

The book I have that walks me through setting up sqlserver does not show me
how to setup mixed mode. It starts off running the install then says to run
: setup instancename="netsdk" sapwd="sa" in a command window.

Then run: net start mssql$netsdk to start it.

Can you please tell me at what stage do I make a change and what info I need
to enter please? I do not know what I am doing so I am following this book.
Now the book is covering web forms and it had me setup windows
authentication in the install!

Thanks

"tripwater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23B%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I am currently trying to learn VS, using C#. I have a book called
> Beginning C# Databases. I am using sqlserver and the first half of the
> book
> deals with windows apps. So it uses the windows authentication. Well now
> it
> is at the web form section and I can not connect this way now because it
> is
> no longer getting authentication from me as a user on this PC. The book
> explains a (mixed mode) where you can do both types of projects and get
> the
> benefit of both types of authentication.
>
> So far what the book does not show is how to set up sqlserver or VS for
> mixed mode authentication. This is where I need help. If someone could
> please walk me through setting this up it would be appreciated. Remember I
> am new to all of this so please keep that in mind when you explain it.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaw==?=

Hi tripwater,

using the MSDE makes it just a bit harder, not unpossible.

I found this on my way through the www:
C:\...MSDE\>Setup.exe DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0
SAPWD="password " INSTANCENAME="myinstance" SECURITYMODE=SQL

The important option is "SECURITYMODE=SQL" this will allow access using the
userinformations defined in your MSDE. However I'm afraid, you need to
reinstall the MSDE; I'm not sure...

You can find the complete article here:
http://www.codeproject.com/database/...p?print=true#5

regards