Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Web hosting and SQL Server Enterprise Manager?

Reply
Thread Tools

Web hosting and SQL Server Enterprise Manager?

 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-04-2005
Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give access to
SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous provider and
now the more I am looking into offers on the net the less I can see this
feature specified.

What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely automated
way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I can backup the
database myself without hardcoding the table structure in my scripts (I'll
be doing some ASP.NET)?

Thank you.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Gugick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-04-2005
John wrote:
> Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give
> access to SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
> I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous
> provider and now the more I am looking into offers on the net the
> less I can see this feature specified.
>
> What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely
> automated way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I
> can backup the database myself without hardcoding the table structure
> in my scripts (I'll be doing some ASP.NET)?
>
> Thank you.


Depends entirely on your hosting plan. To be honest, it's probably
better you don't have SQL EM access because that would mean the hosting
company has exposed SQL Server to the internet. And that might be
considered a security problem. Most low-fee hosting plans (read: shared
hosting) do not give users the ability to back up databases if it's
hidden behind the web server. They usually provide rudimentary means to
access the server, but backups are performed by the hosting company
daily, weekly, monthly, or never.

In any case, you probably won't have SQL EM access. More likely you'll
use the Web Data Administrator. I've not seen a hosting company that
provides the SQL Server Client Tools as an local installation option,
but they may exist.

The question you raise is a concern. Depending on what you're doing with
SQL Server, you may be able to keep a local SQL Server copy and update
the web SQL Server when needed. If updates occur on the web site's SQL
Server, you need to check with your hosting company to see the options
you have for backup.

--
David Gugick
Imceda Software
www.imceda.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-04-2005
I'm not sure if hosters generally grant access - but I know at least a
few that do. SQLDMO might also be a problem if the hosting company
gives your applications less than full trust.

You can do all this stuff (including backups) with T-SQL.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:53:27 +1200, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give access to
>SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
>I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous provider and
>now the more I am looking into offers on the net the less I can see this
>feature specified.
>
>What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely automated
>way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I can backup the
>database myself without hardcoding the table structure in my scripts (I'll
>be doing some ASP.NET)?
>
>Thank you.
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-04-2005
"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure if hosters generally grant access - but I know at least a
> few that do. SQLDMO might also be a problem if the hosting company
> gives your applications less than full trust.
>
> You can do all this stuff (including backups) with T-SQL.


What are my options exactly to create and drop tables programmatically
really?

1) SQLDMO. As you say, maybe it's disabled by default.
2) Creating a stored procedure with CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE statements.
Is it what you mean and do you think my provider is likely to have this
feature disabled?



 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-04-2005
"David Gugick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>> Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give
>> access to SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
>> I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous
>> provider and now the more I am looking into offers on the net the
>> less I can see this feature specified.
>>
>> What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely
>> automated way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I
>> can backup the database myself without hardcoding the table structure
>> in my scripts (I'll be doing some ASP.NET)?
>>
>> Thank you.

>
> Depends entirely on your hosting plan. To be honest, it's probably better
> you don't have SQL EM access because that would mean the hosting company
> has exposed SQL Server to the internet. And that might be considered a
> security problem. Most low-fee hosting plans (read: shared hosting) do not
> give users the ability to back up databases if it's hidden behind the web
> server. They usually provide rudimentary means to access the server, but
> backups are performed by the hosting company daily, weekly, monthly, or
> never.
>
> In any case, you probably won't have SQL EM access. More likely you'll use
> the Web Data Administrator. I've not seen a hosting company that provides
> the SQL Server Client Tools as an local installation option, but they may
> exist.
>
> The question you raise is a concern. Depending on what you're doing with
> SQL Server, you may be able to keep a local SQL Server copy and update the
> web SQL Server when needed. If updates occur on the web site's SQL Server,
> you need to check with your hosting company to see the options you have
> for backup.


Well I will work locally mostly. Create, drop and alter my tables probably
quite often, at least in the first months of the development.
If I have got to reflect manually the changes through the web interface of
the provider, that will be no good...
With Enterprise Manager, I would just backup my local database in a file.
Then connect to the remote server, drop the database and restore it from the
backup file.

I probably can live without EE, but only if I have a way to programmatically
create or drop database tables. I guess I'll have to ask the different
providers what my options are.




 
Reply With Quote
 
jasonkester
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
John wrote:
> CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE statements.


Realistically, you should be keeping change scripts for all your DB
changes. Enterprise Manager will generate them for you if you'd like.
It makes life so much easier when it comes to deploying your
applications. Just run all the scripts since the last push, and you're
done.

> Is it what you mean and do you think my provider is likely to have

this
> feature disabled?


I would be surprised if your hosting provider gave you an SQL server
account that did not have CREATE and DROP priviledges.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Devmaster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
If you are serious about a service provider that will provide EE access I
know one but I am not going to broadcast it here. Send an email to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)


"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you guys have any idea if web hosting companies usually give access to
> SQL Server databases through Enterprise Manager?
> I used to have have access to my DB through EE with my previous provider

and
> now the more I am looking into offers on the net the less I can see this
> feature specified.
>
> What can I do without EE to backup my database in a completely automated
> way? Can I assume SQLDMO will always be available so that I can backup the
> database myself without hardcoding the table structure in my scripts (I'll
> be doing some ASP.NET)?
>
> Thank you.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Allen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-05-2005
Hi John:

You can always pump scripts into SQL Server using SqlConnection and
ExecuteNonQuery with SqlCommand from the .NET framework.

Generally, you'll be database owner (dbo) in your hosted database and
will be able to execute any of the DDL you need.

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:12:27 +1200, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Scott Allen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I'm not sure if hosters generally grant access - but I know at least a
>> few that do. SQLDMO might also be a problem if the hosting company
>> gives your applications less than full trust.
>>
>> You can do all this stuff (including backups) with T-SQL.

>
>What are my options exactly to create and drop tables programmatically
>really?
>
>1) SQLDMO. As you say, maybe it's disabled by default.
>2) Creating a stored procedure with CREATE TABLE and DROP TABLE statements.
>Is it what you mean and do you think my provider is likely to have this
>feature disabled?
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Hosting!!!!!! teo1991 Ruby 0 04-02-2009 01:50 PM
Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Hosting!!!!!! ufi02 ASP .Net 0 03-27-2009 07:49 PM
using Membership on production server (Copy Web Site tool) - Used to SQL Server 2000 enterprise edition Louis R. ASP .Net 5 01-14-2009 06:21 AM
Web hosting with SQL Server Enterprise Manager? infoplease NZ Computing 3 04-05-2005 12:45 PM
US web hosting or UK web hosting comapnies? Bhoona Computer Support 3 03-04-2004 12:59 AM



Advertisments