Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox: Default suffix/regional

Firefox: Default suffix/regional

Fr Jack

Hi,

I'm in UK and find that when I put a keyword in the address bar (not
the searchbar) Firefox invariably tries to find a ".com" URL. Is there
any way to get it to try ".co.uk" or other UK suffixes, before trying
".com.", etc.?

TIA
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

Bram

Fr Jack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in UK and find that when I put a keyword in the address bar (not
> the searchbar) Firefox invariably tries to find a ".com" URL. Is there
> any way to get it to try ".co.uk" or other UK suffixes, before trying
> ".com.", etc.?
>
> TIA

type about:config in your address bar and change the value of
browser.fixup.alternate.suffix to co.uk
Hth,

Bram

Basil

Bram vertelde me op 13/12/2004 12:44:
> Fr Jack wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm in UK and find that when I put a keyword in the address bar (not
>> the searchbar) Firefox invariably tries to find a ".com" URL. Is there
>> any way to get it to try ".co.uk" or other UK suffixes, before trying
>> ".com.", etc.?
>>
>> TIA

> type about:config in your address bar and change the value of
> browser.fixup.alternate.suffix to co.uk
> Hth,

Cool. Fun to learn all these little useful things by following this
newsgroup.

Basil

Fr Jack

Bram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>type about:config in your address bar and change the value of
>browser.fixup.alternate.suffix to co.uk
>Hth,

Ta very much.

However, after making that alteration - and - closing FF, I tried with
"aria" (a UK computer parts retailer), which takes me to:
http://www.aria.com.au/
rather than
http://www.aria.co.uk

Any ideas, or is this a bug, perhaps?
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

Bob

Fr Jack wrote:
> Bram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>type about:config in your address bar and change the value of
>>browser.fixup.alternate.suffix to co.uk
>>Hth,

> Ta very much.
>
> However, after making that alteration - and - closing FF, I tried with
> "aria" (a UK computer parts retailer), which takes me to:
> http://www.aria.com.au/
> rather than
> http://www.aria.co.uk
>
> Any ideas, or is this a bug, perhaps?

Works OK here and I have bookmarked the site for future use as well
Thanks.

--
Bob

Fr Jack

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Works OK here and I have bookmarked the site for future use as well
>Thanks.

Hmm...

Re checked the entry, flushed cache and history, shut FF, re started,
tried again.....

Still going to bloody australia! Argh!
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

Bob

Fr Jack wrote:
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Works OK here and I have bookmarked the site for future use as well
>>Thanks.

> Hmm...
>
> Re checked the entry, flushed cache and history, shut FF, re started,
> tried again.....
>
> Still going to bloody australia! Argh!

Hey it's warmish there now isn't it? Can I join you

--
Bob

Posco

Fr Jack wrote:
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Works OK here and I have bookmarked the site for future use as well
>>Thanks.

> Hmm...
>
> Re checked the entry, flushed cache and history, shut FF, re started,
> tried again.....
>
> Still going to bloody australia! Argh!

Have you got an Australian proxy server specified. Using Switch Proxy, I
get varying results depending where in the world I am supposed to be. If
I don't use a proxy, I get the uk site.

Posco

Fr Jack

Posco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you got an Australian proxy server specified. Using Switch Proxy, I
>get varying results depending where in the world I am supposed to be. If
>I don't use a proxy, I get the uk site.

No proxy.
--

Cheers!