Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > deploy crystal reports on production server using host headers

deploy crystal reports on production server using host headers

Tim_Mac

hi,
see quote below from
http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=en....com&frame=off

According to the book: "Deploying .NET Applications Lifecycle Guide"
published in Microsoft Press:
"Web setup projects allow you to specify which port to install the
application on, they do not currently support deployment of a Web
application
to a site differentiated by host headers. Therefore, you need to
consider
alternatives to using Web setup projects to package your Web
applications if
you need to deploy in this scenario."

my hosting company use host headers (like most of the IIS world?!) to
host multiple sites on their servers. according to the above
statement, i cannot use crystal reports with my asp.net project. the
hosting company have agreed to run a web setup project, but there is no
way to specify the web site to install it on, it just defaults to a
virtual directory on the first available web site.

is there really no other way for me to get crystal reports to work?
all this complication of merge modules and msi installers seems way
overkill and against the grain of Xcopy deployment. i am on the verge
of sourcing an alternative PDF solution. crystal reports is driving
me insane.

any comments are most welcome.
tim

Elton Wang

Hi Tim,

Please check following url.

http://support.businessobjects.com/c...S/TechnicalPap
ers/crnet_deployment.pdf.asp

HTH

Elton Wang

hl=en&lr=&th=36c5d2df211a4d78&seekm=00480961-660F-462D-
BBD4-455C8DA26C38%40microsoft.com&frame=off

>According to the book: "Deploying .NET Applications

Lifecycle Guide"
>published in Microsoft Press:
>"Web setup projects allow you to specify which port to

install the
>application on, they do not currently support deployment

of a Web
>application
>to a site differentiated by host headers. Therefore, you

need to
>consider
>alternatives to using Web setup projects to package your

Web
>applications if
>you need to deploy in this scenario."
>
>my hosting company use host headers (like most of the IIS

world?!) to
>host multiple sites on their servers. according to the

above
>statement, i cannot use crystal reports with my asp.net

project. the
>hosting company have agreed to run a web setup project,

but there is no
>way to specify the web site to install it on, it just

defaults to a
>virtual directory on the first available web site.
>
>is there really no other way for me to get crystal

reports to work?
>all this complication of merge modules and msi installers

seems way
>overkill and against the grain of Xcopy deployment. i am

on the verge
>of sourcing an alternative PDF solution. crystal

reports is driving
>me insane.
>
>any comments are most welcome.
>tim
>
>.

Tim_Mac

hi Elton,
thanks for the reply, but that deployment guide is exactly the problem
i am describing. it says you have to use merge modules with a web setup
project, for the bundled VS.net version of CR.
this is not possible on any server that has multiple sites running host
headers.
any other ideas?

Elton Wang

There is a redistribution package, cr9netredist.zip
(http://support.businessobjects.com/search/results.asp?
summary=1&ct=livewww-
all&output=xml_no_dtd&filter=0&radioGroup=kbase_se arch&q=CR
9NETREDIST&content_typ=all_support&language=EN&ind ex_cont=0
&index_ftyp=0&index_lang=0&index_ver=&index_lang=& indexq2=&
indexq3=&indexq4=), for Crystal Reports 9 and .NET. This
setup package installs all the required runtime files
for .NET applications using Crystal Reports 9. I suppose
if it is installed in your host server, the server will
support .NET applications using Crystal Reports. So you
don't need to use merge modules setup to install your
application. You can check it and discuss with your host
server company.

HTH

Elton Wang