Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What are these plugins?

What are these plugins?

Leonidas Jones

GFRfan wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> OK, here is one of the pages
>>> http://kvoa.com/Global/category.asp?C=40642&nav=HMO5
>>>
>>> Look directly below the words "Community Calendar"
>>> I see a blank white box with that goofy green puzzle looking thing in
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I also get a bar on the top of my page that says:
>>> "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this
>>> page" There is then a box that says "install missing plugins"
>>> Clicking on it returns a message that says "No suitable plugins were
>>> found".
>>>

>> The calendar scroller is a java applet, so you need java:
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
>>
>> Download and install J2SE 5.0 JRE
>>
>> Lee

> Win XP Home SP2 Mozilla 1.7
> I'm not having any problems but as I came across this thread, I checked
> my Java in control panel and it is Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment,
> Standard Edition, 1.4.1_07. When I check for updates on the panel, it
> says "Congratulations!
> You already have the most up-to-date version of the Java(TM) platform."
> Is there any reason to update to the J2SE 5.0 JRE? Isn't Java script
> through the same version as the Java plug in?

Javascript and Java are completely separate, so JRE version has no
affect on JS at all.

I don't really use a lot of java sites, but I did install the latest,
and it has worked well. There was a 1.4.2, the updater is notoriously buggy.

I can see no harm in going to the new version, but if you are satisfied
with the performance of what you have, by all means stay with it. If
you start to notice problems with java performance, then upgrade.

Lee