Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Good Reasons to port asp.NET VB.NET app to C#

Good Reasons to port asp.NET VB.NET app to C#

=?Utf-8?B?V2ViTWF0cml4?=

Hi,

I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
new release.
What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me extra
time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code. But
I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Brock Allen

I think that if your group is a C# group then you answered your own question:
"If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#."

Also, I think you'll find that migrating the pages from VB.NET to C# (or
from C# to VB.NET for that matter) is trivial and shouldn't take you much
time at all.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen

> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has
> been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or
> so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to
> continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with
> new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of
> this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
> extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's
> not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same
> code. But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in
> C#.

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi,

You can use this web site to quickly convert the majority of your code:

http://www.developerfusion.com/utili...btocsharp.aspx

It isn't perfect but can probably cut the time by probably close to 90%.
Good luck! Ken.

--
Ken Dopierala Jr.
For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

"WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me

extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.

But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Jeremy S.

I ported an app from VB.NET to C# manually (it's a control thing... didn't
want to trust a translator). The majority of the "conversion" simply
involved adding a semicolon ( to the end of each line of code. Looping and
branching constructs required an extra neuron or two. It's really a trivial
matter to "port" to C#.

"WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
> extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
> But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Kevin Spencer

Okay, your requirement is to upgrade the app. Your DESIRE is to change it to
C#. I'm assuming that you're paid for your time. IMHO, you have 2 ethical
choices:

1. Migrate it to C# on your own time.
2. Leave it in VB.Net

IOW, there are no logical reasons for changing the language. If you do so,
your boss will want to know why, since he's paying for it. And there is no
why, other than your personal preference.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

"WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
> extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
> But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Shawn H. Mesiatowsky

Just tell them it will take 2 weeks, not 1 week. they will never know you
change the code from VB to C#

"WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
> extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
> But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

If you're more comfortable in C# than VB.NET, that's a good justification in
itself.

As for the time to port it, you can't get a headstart by using a tool like
Reflector to decompile the existing assemblies and show the source in C#.

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

"WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been in
> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or so.
> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of this
> new release.
> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
> extra
> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's not
> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
> But
> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in C#.

Andy Fish

I'm with that suggestion.

Non-technical management sometimes think short-term or don't understand the
value of this sort of thing where there is no immediate cost-benefit gain.

Think of it as good karma !! - Converting to C# will improve your emotional
and psychological wellbeing which will pay off in the longer term

"Shawn H. Mesiatowsky" <smesiatowsky@_no_spam_perfectfit-ind.com> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just tell them it will take 2 weeks, not 1 week. they will never know you
> change the code from VB to C#
>
> "WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been
>> in
>> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
>> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or
>> so.
>> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
>> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
>> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of
>> this
>> new release.
>> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
>> extra
>> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's
>> not
>> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
>> But
>> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
>> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in
>> C#.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I agree with Kevin. It doesn't sound like you have a good reason for
switching the app to C#. It's just a personal preference.
So you're basically asking us how to help you lie to your client, which I
won't do.

Either keep the app in VB.NET (which is a perfectly fine language) or port
the app on your own time (with the help of a code converter application to
cut down on the effort needed.)

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, your requirement is to upgrade the app. Your DESIRE is to change it
> to C#. I'm assuming that you're paid for your time. IMHO, you have 2
> ethical choices:
>
> 1. Migrate it to C# on your own time.
> 2. Leave it in VB.Net
>
> IOW, there are no logical reasons for changing the language. If you do so,
> your boss will want to know why, since he's paying for it. And there is no
> why, other than your personal preference.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> .Net Developer
> What You Seek Is What You Get.
>
> "WebMatrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I developed ASP.NET application in VB.NET about a year ago; it has been
>> in
>> production since. Now they want to add new features change some of the
>> existing ones, it's not a major rework, but probably a week of work or
>> so.
>> My dilemma is that I have switched to C# since than and want to continue
>> coding in C#. Now would be a good time to port this app to C# with new
>> features which will add probably twice as much time to development of
>> this
>> new release.
>> What reasons I can give to the management to convince them to give me
>> extra
>> time to rewrite this application to C#. From what I understand there's
>> not
>> that much difference between VB.NET and C# it compiles to the same code.
>> But
>> I find C# more concise and more "suitable" for .NET; just more elegant
>> language. If I am going to be supporting this app I want to support in
>> C#.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You guys are suggesting he be dishonest by getting paid for work that wasn't
requested, approved, or needed.
I wouldn't want you working for me.

--
I hope this helps,