Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Cont rols.Add

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Cont rols.Add

Martin Eyles

Hi,
I have a routine that uses
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Cont rols.Add
quite a lot to add <v:line>, <v:rect> and <div> tags to a document.

Unfortunately, the output HTML markup is VERY messy, as all the tags and
their contents end up on the same line. Is there a way to make it so that
the output is nicely indented, and each tag is on a new line?

(ie. looks like a bit like this)
<v:line ......>
</v:line>
<v:rect ......>
</v:rect>
-83

Thanks,
Martin

--
Martin Eyles

=?Utf-8?B?SGl0ZXNo?=

hey whereever required you can add new LiteralControl(" "),
new LiteralControl("<br/>")

To have the formatted HTML.

Hope this helps.

"Martin Eyles" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a routine that uses
> System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Cont rols.Add
> quite a lot to add <v:line>, <v:rect> and <div> tags to a document.
>
> Unfortunately, the output HTML markup is VERY messy, as all the tags and
> their contents end up on the same line. Is there a way to make it so that
> the output is nicely indented, and each tag is on a new line?
>
> (ie. looks like a bit like this)
> <v:line ......>
> </v:line>
> <v:rect ......>
> </v:rect>
> £-83
>
> Thanks,
> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Eyles
> (E-Mail Removed)

Martin Eyles

"Hitesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey whereever required you can add new LiteralControl(" "),
> new LiteralControl("<br/>")
>
> To have the formatted HTML.

This didn't quite work, but just inserted a space or <br/> in the html. But
I managed to modify it to do what I want. I now do

theGraph.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl(Chr(10)))

which inserts a newline character in the HTML.

Thanks,
ME

--
Martin Eyles
(E-Mail Removed)

Martin Eyles

"Martin Eyles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hitesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hey whereever required you can add new LiteralControl(" "),
> > new LiteralControl("<br/>")
> >
> > To have the formatted HTML.

> This didn't quite work, but just inserted a space or <br/> in the html.

But
> I managed to modify it to do what I want. I now do
>
> theGraph.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl(Chr(10)))
>
> which inserts a newline character in the HTML.

To make this neater when run several times, I have tried to split this into
two bits

At the top of the method I set up a literal control object object:-

//Set up a web control to insert a new line into the HTML code.
System.Web.UI.LiteralControl codeNewLine;
codeNewLine=new System.Web.UI.LiteralControl(((char)10).ToString() );

And at several points I insert this line to add the control to another
control:-

theGraph.Controls.Add(codeNewLine); //add a new line to the HTML code.

However, this only appears to work the very last time it is inserted.

Any Ideas?

Thankyou,

Martin

--