Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > javascript debugging

javascript debugging

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to debug is
included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs use this because
I have many common scripts that are used throughout my application. It also
gives a very limited amount of security to prying eyes.

2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put it
locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.

3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently it
doesn't work.

4. I am finding that I have a very cpu resource goes to 99% more often then
not and find that I must recycle IIS or boot to get visual studio and
debugging to work again.

5. Basically I am trying to accomplish a 30 minute task and so far I've
exceed several hours for this simple task.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

Additionally the programs behave very differently(all not at all) when run
under the debugger. If I build my application fresh and run it normally
through IE everything works.

"Bill" wrote:

> 1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to debug is
> included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs use this because
> I have many common scripts that are used throughout my application. It also
> gives a very limited amount of security to prying eyes.
>
> 2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put it
> locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.
>
> 3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently it
> doesn't work.
>
> 4. I am finding that I have a very cpu resource goes to 99% more often then
> not and find that I must recycle IIS or boot to get visual studio and
> debugging to work again.
>
> 5. Basically I am trying to accomplish a 30 minute task and so far I've
> exceed several hours for this simple task.

Lucas Tam

"=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Additionally the programs behave very differently(all not at all) when
> run under the debugger. If I build my application fresh and run it
> normally through IE everything works.

Could be a threading issue - do you have concurrent threads running?

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Lucas Tam

"=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> 1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to
> debug is included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs
> use this because I have many common scripts that are used throughout
> my application. It also gives a very limited amount of security to
> prying eyes.

Strange, works for me. My debugger breaks into src files fine.

> 2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put
> it locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.
>
> 3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently
> it doesn't work.

This works for me - but you'll have to attach 2 debuggers, one for ASP.NET
and another for IE.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

In reference to the 'Pink Pather' I see you are using the old "it works on my
computer ploy"

Thanks for the suggestion and quick reply. This is a very simple application
with no threading as least not that I initiate. Oddly enough when I moved the
suspect code to the aspx file the debugging and code worked. This part is
fuzzy....I don't how many processes I killed or reboots I performed. After
that I then place the code back into the src file and it workes like a charm.
Someone must have been reading my very uncensored rebuffs I added to visual
studios automated error reporting system text xml file.

"Lucas Tam" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > 1. I find that debugging does not work if the JavaScript you wish to
> > debug is included in your program via src="blah". All of my programs
> > use this because I have many common scripts that are used throughout
> > my application. It also gives a very limited amount of security to
> > prying eyes.

> Strange, works for me. My debugger breaks into src files fine.
>
> > 2. If I extract the portion of the JavaScript I wish to debug and put
> > it locally within the aspx file, the debugging works.
> >
> > 3. If I try to debug both my vb.net code and JavaScript concurrently
> > it doesn't work.

> This works for me - but you'll have to attach 2 debuggers, one for ASP.NET
> and another for IE.
>
> > 4. I am finding that I have a very cpu resource goes to 99% more often
> > then not and find that I must recycle IIS or boot to get visual studio
> > and debugging to work again.

> --
> Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Lucas Tam

"=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In reference to the 'Pink Pather' I see you are using the old "it
> works on my computer ploy"

: )

Did you attach a javascript debugger directly to your instance of Internet
explorer?

If you do, there should be a "running documents" window, which you can use
to select the proper .js file.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))